Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What are some of your favorite 'tips'...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by missy_socal on 6/6/05 4:26pm
Msg #42721

...that you've picked up here?

Two of my favorites:

Ernest (I believe) suggested buying manila folders from Office Depot to slide each set of docs into. On the outside, you can affix your business card and any pertinent information (borr. name, date of signing, etc)

Lee's recommendation of carrying a hard mouse pad to use in case of uneven surfaces for stamping has helped tremendously....I just wish that I had stumbled across it when I was first starting out!

I was doing one of my very first signings, and it was in a completely empty condo. We were all hundled around the tiny kitchen tile 'counter'. The first notarization landed on a tile line, so it was broken. No problem! I simply restamped. The next notarization, I was so intent on stamping between the tiny tile lines that I stamped upside down! Sigh...restamp.
I was convinced that the recorder would think that I was drunk.

Anyone else?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 4:51pm
Msg #42732

Love the idea of the manila folders. I have done signings on a fold out tray table, reason was dining room table was set up for show not to be used and the kids were having dinner at the kitchen table. I have signed out of the back of my car using my brief case as table, really could have done with a fold out table then and have seen a suggestion of keeping one in the car. good idea. Hard mouse pad now I like that one, sometimes borrowers don't want to take table cloth's or pads off the table which can course a pen to penetrate the paper. We do get some great tips on here.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/6/05 5:22pm
Msg #42741

Start with the RTC followed by the HUD-1. That way the borrowers already know they have 3 days to figure out the rest of the docs.

Also, keep soft marshmallows handy for dogs in the yard. They won't chomp you while they are trying to figure out how to eat the marshmallow.

Reply by missy_socal on 6/6/05 7:07pm
Msg #42790

"Start with the RTC followed by the HUD-1. That way the borrowers already know they have 3 days to figure out the rest of the docs."

That's a good tip, Sam. I've just recently started doing this. I think that when I started, since I wasn't doing edocs, I just present the docs in the order that they came. I feel more in control of the package and it's presentation order when I'm the one printing the docs.

Reply by Tina/ID on 6/7/05 12:00am
Msg #42859

Staples sells assorted colored legal size manilla folders. Most times we use purple for the lender's copies and a different color for the borrower's. Looks nicer than regular mainlla. But it works really well when we have multiple signings. We use the same color folders then, with sticky labels for lender and borrower. Can go out to several signings always knowing which two folders go together. Saved us many headaches, especially when pinched for time.

We also keep a 8 1/2 x 11" magnifying sheet in our briefcases. Helps with those that are hard of seeing and doesn't take much room!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/7/05 12:47am
Msg #42864

I keep a few sealed cheapo toys (like from Happy Meals), for boys and girls if possible to give away to unruly children to buy time to get the signing done. I always quietly ask the parents first but it works like a charm.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.