Notary Rotary
What do you all charge when.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Brijoe_WA on 6/25/05 12:39pm
Msg #47727

Just wanted to get an idea what everyones policy is on Borrowers who do not sign. I had a signing last night, e-docs, went to the appointment and the Borrowers said costs were to high and refused to sign. What does everyone try to collect on a signing like this when they dont sign? Just wanted to see what the general consensis is.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/25/05 1:04pm
Msg #47730

I FIGHT for my full fee. The companies I work for regularily almost always give it to me. The others don't. I have real problem with Trip Fees. I feel that if the agencies continue the way they are going... they will have a schlew of notaries doing crappy $50 signings and another bunch breaking every rule just to make sure they get paid.

This is a real big bone of contention for me and I feel that if we are to maintain the integrity our position requires... we must be paid the same whether they sign or not. Think about it... in a court case, when one person testifies against another, it always makes them lose credibility if they are getting immunity for their testimony. It holds alot more weight if they are getting nothing out of telling the truth.

Imagine this situation... A borrower says he was pressured by the notary... notary says no way... If I were an attorney I would be all over it if I knew that the notary got paid MUCH LESS if the borrowers didn't sign.

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist but I am sick of it. 90% of the no-signs I get are because the information is messy and inaccurate. That should not come off our fees, but it obviously is.

On a side note, if it is a lender problem, I don't think the TC should eat it either but that is their battle.

Sorry to vent!

Reply by CP on 6/25/05 1:14pm
Msg #47737

Re: Angelina! Please read mine too......

Please read my #47367 and tell me what u think I should do? Does the SS still owe me or what?

Also, once I did a signing and UPS'd. it and then the SS called to say I had LEFT OUT some docs so they e-mailed me a few more. Well, I didn't recognize these docs AT ALL. When I got to the Borrower, I asked to see their COPIES, and sure enuf these latest docs were not included in the ORIGNAL set. So does the SS owe me for a 2nd trip fee?

Thanks.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/25/05 1:30pm
Msg #47742

Yes you are owed for another trip... if they ADDED it to the package.

There is a page in the closing instructions that lists all the forms that should be part of the package. You need to make sure these forms are in there before you go sign. If there is something missing, call and ask them (If I am missing something, I will usually call the TC listed on the closing instructions and speak with the person who prepared it) for the docs. They will let you know what they want you to do.

Then if they come back and say you didn't get it signed you can say... well it wasn't part of the package so it will be $____ to go back.

I am pretty picky about who I work for and if a package comes over SUPER MESSY and I have to spend a bunch of time hunting things down I won't work for them again. It isn't worth my time. It has been my experience that these have been the lowest paying as well.

This is just my opinon... you know your own sanity levels.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/25/05 4:51pm
Msg #47767

Re: Posted my opinon to your other situation on

the other thread. Hope it helps. I don't know if it's what you want to hear.

Reply by CP on 6/25/05 5:21pm
Msg #47778

Re: Thanks, Angelina...

I will ASK the SS to send me a trip fee (even tho they ALREADY paid me).

THERE WAS NO LIST OF DOCS.....but I KNOW they were NEW docs that were ADDED to the pak. I even told the SS that, but they IGNORED me so I let it go.....until now.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/25/05 5:32pm
Msg #47780

Re: Thanks, Angelina...

TRIP FEE??

No... in the situation in this thread... I think you should get another full fee. (That's what I meant when I said... pay you for another trip) Maybe not another E-Doc fee if it wasn't a bunch of stuff but definately another full signing fee. I hate trip fees.

If I screw up... I fix it no charge. If they screw up they pay me the full fee. That's my motto.

Reply by patricia on 6/26/05 12:09am
Msg #47872

the signing service owes you a fee for the second trip. If the docs had been included in the first package the borrower would have their copies

Reply by raineedaye/CA on 6/25/05 1:14pm
Msg #47738

In my experience the SS only pays half of my fee, but I always get the business when the borrowers resign (and they always do!!)

Reply by BLE on 6/25/05 1:32pm
Msg #47744

I always charge a $5o trip fee for edocs. I sometimes am lucky enough to get my full fee. Angelina is right. I also have to fight for every dime from some but others (regulars) pay without headache.

Reply by patricia on 6/25/05 5:07pm
Msg #47772

when I started doing signings the full fee was always paid for a no-show or no-sign. I really think it is because of the glut of new notaries who didnt know the rules or were willing to let things slide. We should always be getting the full fee in these situations. You are right there
are usually lender mistakes or non-disclosures in the documents and this is why borrowers
dont sign. No reason for the notary to be a party to that! I wish everyone would refuse to accept the "trip" fees.

Reply by CP on 6/25/05 5:24pm
Msg #47779

Re: PATRICIA!

Excuse me, but what do you think about MY situation............47737 ?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/25/05 6:33pm
Msg #47802

Ok, if it is a title company, then I will charge them a trip fee and time spent with the borrower which is usually close to what a SS would pay if I was hired through a SS and did the signing.

If it is a SS, then I expect full fee.

And as a signing service, if a signing agent goes to the borrowers they are paid the full fee not a trip fee - but I only bill the title company what I pay the signing agent, so I don't make anything on those at all - but there are very few where this happens. In fact in the last couple of years there had only been two.

Oh - and if edocs were involved, the edoc fee is always billed. No way should a signing agent not get paid for printing the edocs.

Reply by Barry/FL on 6/25/05 10:37pm
Msg #47852

I charge the print fee and half the signing as a trip/cancellation fee.

Reply by CP on 6/26/05 12:44am
Msg #47876

I LIKE what SYLVIA said.......

..........but it "almost" doesn't seem fair to the SS since they had to reassign a notary to go back!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/26/05 1:11am
Msg #47880

Re: Aren't you an SS?

So is that what you feel is fair to a notary for a job well done, honestly and according to the law?

I am talking about a no-sign for borrower reasons or Doc problems. I am not talking about anything in regards to a problem with a notary.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/28/05 1:39am
Msg #48390

Re: Barry the question was for you...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.