Notary Rotary
What would you do?
Notary Discussion History

What would you do?
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by anonnymous on 6/24/05 6:54pm
Msg #47568

What would you do?

I work for this SS and the TC that they get the closings from, contacted me directly to tell me they love my work and if I would be interested in working directly with them that they were ready to toss the SS out the window... I was shocked...
I said well let me think about it, I'll give you an answer on Monday.
Can I get in trouble for doing this? They are not paying that much more, only like $25 more than SS but hey is more money in my pocket for the same work...
What are your thoughts?

Reply by Just me on 6/24/05 7:02pm
Msg #47573

You are not doing nothing wrong, they contacted you. Did you include a business card with the packages?

Reply by Annonymous on 6/25/05 7:08am
Msg #47678

No I did not. I never solicited their business nor included my card on any of their packages. They have my info which had been provided from the SS and they called me, not the other way around...
I will check the contract later, and I'll let you know.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERS

Reply by Mary_in_CA on 6/24/05 7:22pm
Msg #47581

Check your contract with them. Some SS do mention that you cannot accept work from any TC that they work for, and to let them know if a TC contacts you directly. If its not in the contract then go for it.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 6/24/05 7:43pm
Msg #47585

If a TC directly calls you asks you to work for them directly then there is no problem there. The problem would be if you solicited them. Most contracts say that you may not solicit to thier clients.

Reply by Charles A Peavey on 6/24/05 8:09pm
Msg #47589

Maybe you should consider limiting the length of time the contract holds you. I usually add that the non-compete clause is only for the duration of the contract and lapses upon written cancellation of the contract by either party. That way you are covered and I've never had a problem with that concept.

Reply by Roger/OH on 6/24/05 8:48pm
Msg #47593

Go for it - they called YOU. Try to get them up a bit, closer to what they were paying the SS.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 6/24/05 10:02pm
Msg #47620

This may be just me, but I'd be looking for a better protection than that. I wouldn't want to be keeping track of where I am with the time duration on contracts or sending out cancellation letters. I have in the past added verbiage to the effect of not using any information acquired from a SS to solicit additional business. I don't keep track of who the clients are of agencies I've worked for, but if I happen upon a title co or lender independently, I'm going for it. Having said that, if it were an agency that I worked for on a regular basis and I wanted to protect the relationship, I'd likely back off if I realized that a company I was about to contact was their client. I guess the thing to do is to combine doing what is right with looking out for one's own business!

Reply by Anonymous on 6/24/05 11:05pm
Msg #47639

Check to see if there is a Non-compete clause in the contract, if you signed one.

Charles' idea of changing the written contract might be a good idea, but as the owner of a SS, I would never contract with him for a signing unless it is done on my company's terms even if he is one of the most efficient SA's in the business.

It's not personal...just business.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/24/05 11:41pm
Msg #47648

I have a better way - I never sign SS contracts!
And as a SS I never ask the signing agents who work with me to sign a contract either.
Suppose you had signed contracts with SS ABC, and SS XYZ. Now suppose Title company GHI called you to work with them direct. Now, Title company GHI uses both SS;s ABC and XYZ, and you know this as you have done signings for Title company GHI before both for SS ABC and SS XYZ. Now, your contract with both of them says you cannot solicit title companies that you have worked with through them, and furthermore if a title company contacted you directly you were to refer them to the SS.

Oops - which SS do you refer them to? You have worked for the title company with both signing services, and you have the same contract with both SS.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.