Notary Rotary
notary
Notary Discussion History

notary
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Michelle-ca on 6/4/05 4:37pm
Msg #42358

notary

Do we need to file notary errors & omissions insurance? Or we only have to file bond ?

Reply by MsRobbo on 6/4/05 5:32pm
Msg #42368

In PA we are required to carry E&O insurance. It is good to have in case you should ever get sued.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 6/4/05 6:16pm
Msg #42383

In California, we are only required to have a bond, but that only covers others - not you. It's strongly recommended that you carry as much E&O insurance as you can afford. Keep in mind, though, that even E&O insurance only covers you for notarial acts - not other aspects of being a signing agent.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 6/4/05 6:24pm
Msg #42385

Ditto to JanetK/CA posting here n/m

Reply by Michelle,ca on 6/4/05 6:37pm
Msg #42389

notary

Thank you for all your answers. But I mean that do we need to file at orange county clerk for E&O insurance?

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 6/4/05 6:38pm
Msg #42390

No...

E&O is not filed with the county clerk. Your bond is filed with the county clerk at the time you take your oath Smiley

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/5/05 12:54pm
Msg #42501

Re: E&O coverage

"E&O insurance only covers you for notarial acts - not other aspects of being a signing agent"

Can you expand on this? What can get the NSA in trouble for other than the notarial acts?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/5/05 6:54pm
Msg #42548

>>> What can get the NSA in trouble for other than the notarial acts? <<<

Oh, where to begin.

Simplistically, anywhere you offer your opinion, guidance or direction to the signer. Specifically in places like the RTC, misinterpreting the documents, telling the borrowers untruths, etc. UPL is not limited to notaries. Only attorneys are allowed to practice law (and someday they may even understand what it is THEY are practicing), so the SA must be very careful in what they do.

The notary portion of the signing is very small in comparison with everything else in the loan package that you are charged with as an 'agent' of the lender, title company and/or signing service. You must remain astute, impartial, unbiased and above all, not specific in your explanations. You can describe the purpose of documents, point out things that are printed in black and white, and show the borrowers where things are in the document, but you cannot explain "why" things are the way they are. You are not there to sell the loan, or offer "reasons" (which become opinions on your part) why the bottom line states they are only getting $5,000 back instead of $9,000 as expected, or why the note says the interest rate is 7% and they were expecting 4%.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/5/05 9:30pm
Msg #42554

***Only attorneys are allowed to practice law ***

Wouldn't it be nice if attorneys and doctors stopped practicing and started performing?

I always start off with my spiel about how I can't answer any questions about why their loan is set up the way it is and that the notary police will come and take away my stamp if I give them any advice. They usually chuckle and let it go at that.

Reply by Sunny/CA on 6/4/05 11:23pm
Msg #42436

If your bond ends up paying, you then must pay back the amount to the bond company. The errors and omission would pay this for you. I have always carried it. Would not be without it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.