Notary Rotary
a little encouragement please
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by anonymous on 6/30/05 10:59am
Msg #49013

when using a loose cert - does the original still get signed by the person? Then I only sign the loose ack, right? I'm going out for the first time - II'm nervous and would just like confirmation thank you

Reply by Sharon Munday on 6/30/05 11:05am
Msg #49015

Good luck on your first time! We've all been there! You sign the loose cert and attach it to the document the borrower is signing. Be sure to document on the loose cert the name of the document you are notarizing and maybe a loan number. I try and put as much info as I can, since I don't want anyone using that notarized loose cert with any other document but the one I'm actually notarizing.

Reply by thank you sharon on 6/30/05 11:07am
Msg #49018

Re: a little encouragement please

Reply by thank you sharon on 6/30/05 11:07am
Msg #49019

Re: a little encouragement please

Reply by Anonymous on 6/30/05 11:08am
Msg #49020

If there is a certificate wording you can not use on a page where the person is signing, then you would line through it once and write see attached certificate. Then you would attach a loose certicate, fill it completely, sign, and place your seal. If your loose certificate has the optional information, then I would fill that too. Hope it helps.

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/30/05 12:45pm
Msg #49067

I think it would also be helpful if you would spend some time studying the notary rules of your state as it seems to be that you do not have the basic concepts down yet.

If you are in one of those states with little instruction available, I'd not accept that as my final answer on how to perform notarial duties if I wanted to utilize my seal in a career. I'd go to the state capitol and insist on answers before I went off to work as a mobile notary.

I'm sorry if this offends... I hope it will provoke thought...even if it makes people angry. If you don't know what your notary law says...well...how do you do your job correctly?...is it wise to rely upon the opinions of strangers?

Reply by anonymous on 6/30/05 10:52pm
Msg #49223

I understand your concern and I respect your opinion - I do understand the law - but since it was my first time out - I wanted reassurance because I was extremely nervous - I hope that you can understand that - besides if "it's not wise to rely upon the opinions of strangers" what are you doing on here?

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/1/05 10:21am
Msg #49320

**besides if "it's not wise to rely upon the opinions of strangers" what are you doing on here?

What I do here is what most identifiable people do here...network, build relationships, get ideas, references, contribute...

What I am *not* doing here is trying to get information on correct notarial procedures--as a Texas notary I have taken an oath of office that implies I know the correct way to perrform notarial acts.

As someone once said here, "this is not a game" where your buddies teach you the rules as you go.

Reply by anonymous on 7/4/05 3:31am
Msg #49738

***What I do here is what most identifiable people do here...network, build relationships, get ideas, references, contribute...***

You can add "support" to your list. People ask many questions about how to do things on this site because they want reassurance and help. When a person is going out for a signing for the first time - sometimes they need a boost of confidence - which is what I was looking for. Being nervous doesn't mean that you don't know what you are doing - it just means you need a little encouragement so you know that your head is on straight.

I also took an oath and I know this is not a game - why would I treat this job as a game and risk going to jail - On the other hand - you do learn some things as you go - otherwise this forum would not exist - people are here to help and get help - they are not here to be lectured

by the way - when you "get ideas" your getting "opinions of stranger"!

so stop shooting people down for being nervous and getting support - this is a place to get help not bullied

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/4/05 10:12am
Msg #49749

**so stop shooting people down for being nervous and getting support - this is a place to get help not bullied**

The message remains the same:

It is up to you/the notary to get familiar with your notary rules, basic procedures, etc.

Learning the "how-to's" of signing agent work is not the same as learning your basic notary rules. I think that's where some of the confusion comes in. Notary law is not optional. Being a "signing agent" is role we play as notaries. It is not mandated by law.

-----

It is every poster's choice to post.

It is every poster's choice to allow posts on a public forum to affect them negatively.

If you take responsibility for your own self-confidence, nervousness, etc. rather than placing your feelings in control of strangers, you'll be better off in every aspect of your life. Giving me (any poster) the ability to lecture you or "shoot you people down" is your choice. I have no power over anyone's feelings unless they give me permission to affect them in a negative way.

If you are that easily affected on an emotional level by my posts, especially when you have not learned your notary rules, you will be used in bad ways in your SA job...maybe in ways that will reflect negatively on all of us.

Reply by anony on 7/4/05 3:45pm
Msg #49782

it's obvious that your ticked off ha ha ha
keep doing what your doing it'll catch up to you! One day you'll need help and encouragement and no one will be there for you - you'll get someone just like you and they'll eat you alive. Keep relying on your little ole self - you'll be alone
I'll keep doing what I'm doing I know I'll be fine - as you can see other people responded to the post and they were more than willing to help so I will continue to seek their help whether you think it's right or wrong
by the way i take back what I said about respecting your opinion earlier - now I think you are just being stupid
have a nice life
you won't hear from me again - i'm done with you and no you didn't get me mad - just wanted to let you know you are stupid

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/4/05 6:43pm
Msg #49794

No matter how stupid and heartless I am...

By the time a notary begins doing notarial acts
they are required to know how to perform
basic notary procedures and to know their notary
rules/law.

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 7/5/05 11:07am
Msg #49856

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Don't you just love it when someone new comes on, pleading for help and when they are taught to fish instead of being given a fish, they get all opinated, feelings all bent out of shape and start lashing out? Before you start belittling people, please understand that Brenda_TX has contributed more than her fair share of very good information to this board! Many of us get more than a little tired of answering BASIC notary questions. Questions that the answer can be easily found by doing a little research. Even if your state does not have a hand book or instruction book, search the web. Many states do!! And even if some of their information is state specific you will increase your knowledge and it will give you a better feel for the BASIC job that we do. PLEASE READ ALL OF THREAD 33325. It is a complilation of several posts, and most of the information was supplied by Brenda_TX. After reading it, an apology might be in order! As an aside; Isn't it funny that most of the poster bashing is always done by an anonomous poster??

Reply by Not in FL on 6/30/05 11:08am
Msg #49021

The signer signs the document. Then you sign the loose ack and note in it that the certificate is attached to "xxxx document of # pages dated xx-xx-xx"

At least that is how I would do it. If you have a governor's state manual review it to make sure you are doing it right.

Good luck

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.