jurat
Notary Discussion History

jurat
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by corona71 on 6/9/05 11:20pm
Msg #43709

jurat

Hello,
I did a jurat tonight, and the wording was from Pa. I looked at it closely, and thought it was different wording than Ca. wording, so I attached a loose certificate. After everything was signed and I went back into my handbook, I noticed it had correct wording, just in a different order. My question is, is it still okay to have that attached certificate, will they accept it? I crossed out the 1st jurat that I thought was wrong, and stapled it with the loose one.
Thank you

Reply by Frank Sammartino 5 Star Notary Signing Services on 6/10/05 1:14am
Msg #43718

What kind of document was it? If the document is not being recorded there really isn't a problem with it. It is good practice to attach a certificate if the wording is totally off. However some states like Florida have statements like " and did not take an oath" in the notarial wording and part of executing a Jurat statement in California is the oath process. Just FYI

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/10/05 3:06am
Msg #43724

"What kind of document was it? If the document is not being recorded there really isn't a problem with it. "

Completely wrong.

Notary law has nothing to do with whether a document is being recorded or not. For that matter, notary law has nothing at all to do with the real estate industry specifically. I would think a signing service would know better, but I guess if that were the case there wouldn't be so many of them asking us to break notary law just to satisfy the lenders in the first place.

As far as the specific question in this thread, the notary handbook says "there shall be attached a jurat in the following form". My interpretation of that is that it must read exactly like it is shown in the handbook, so if the wording wasn't in the correct order I would attach a loose certificate or stamp the correct wording.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/10/05 7:32am
Msg #43743

>>> states like Florida have statements like " and did not take an oath" in the notarial wording and part of executing a Jurat statement in California is the oath process. <<<

Florida requires oaths to be given in the certificate is a jurat. Florida statutes do not indicate that "and did not take an oath" to be a part of ANY notarial certificate.

I don't know where you got your information about Florida, but it is incorrect.

There are many certificates being prepared by many different organizations that contain that specific wording. If the certificate is an ACK, then it is fine. If the certificate is a JURAT, then the word "not" must be stricken.

Reply by Terri_CA on 6/10/05 2:22am
Msg #43722

It's ok!

The best rule of thumb is "When In Doubt, Leave it Out and use your own loose certificate." However, if it is a Jurat, buy the stamp from Notary Rotary and stamp it (Correct California Verbiage) without having to attach another document. Smiley

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by corona71 on 6/10/05 9:08am
Msg #43754

It had nothing to do with loan signings, this person was just cancelling their life insurance policy, and they wanted it notarized. It came with a jurat worded from Pa. Also, the loose certificate I have for a jurat is from NNA, does anyone else have these, and do you like the way they are written? I like the acknowledgements from NNA, but the jurats could be done better.

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/10/05 10:03am
Msg #43767

Go to the CA SOS site and download a jurat.

Reply by Terri_CA on 6/10/05 11:39am
Msg #43785

The one problem I have with the one at the SOS site, it doesn't have the pre-printed "Optional" information. You'd have to be sure that you write on it what document you attached it to, etc. to help deter fraud and keep it from being attached to another document.

Also, www.notaryclasses.com has a jurat to download free, it has the optional section.

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/10/05 6:54pm
Msg #43888

Re: jurat - Thanks Terri, that is a better form! n/m

Reply by Jon on 6/10/05 3:05pm
Msg #43838

The CA jurat wording is prescribed by law, whether we like it or not is irrelevant. You MUST use the required wording to be in compliance with the law. As much as the NNA does wrong, the jurat wording is correct, assuming you have a pad from 2005 and not earlier.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.