Notary Rotary
notarizing a letter
Notary Discussion History

notarizing a letter
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by MO/CA on 6/22/05 6:12pm
Msg #46937

notarizing a letter

A friend of mine called me and asked me if I could notarize a letter for her. She is taking her son and daughter out of the country and she needs her husbands permission. She and her husband will sign this and she wants me to notarize it. (They are both coming over to my house) OK so how do I go about doing this? Should I attach an all-purpose acknowledgment to the letter?
Thanks in advance.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 6/22/05 6:53pm
Msg #46944

All purpose acknowledgement..

Ensure both are present to acknowledge that they both signed the letter and acknowledge both signatures.

Reply by Barry/FL on 6/22/05 7:24pm
Msg #46945

Remember the law...the notary does not decide the type of notarial certificate. They have to have the letter written...please do not advise them as to how to do this.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/22/05 7:52pm
Msg #46955

There actually is a legal form that is used for this purpose, I presume it already has the correct wording on it. Have not seen it, so note the word presume.

Reply by Melody on 6/22/05 9:19pm
Msg #46976

Please do a search

I posted a long and helpful response to this question a month or two ago.

I do lots of these.

Please do a search. The words Parents or Permission should get you to the right place.

Reply by Anonymous on 6/22/05 11:35pm
Msg #47015

Re: Please do a search

I am in california. This is a family law issue and they should really consult with an attorney-because it is not considered a legal binding doc. I know the notary does not need to know this, but it might back fire for the parents.

Reply by mo/ca on 6/23/05 1:38am
Msg #47042

Melody, I couldnt find the post you were referring to.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.