Notary Rotary
1st assignment
Notary Discussion History

1st assignment
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Coradene Rutledge on 3/7/05 1:44pm
Msg #24132

1st assignment

I have been asked to do a closing. I would like to accept, but I never attempted a closing before. Is there anything that I should be cautious about. Can someone walk me throug this or should I wait until I have more experience?

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/7/05 1:56pm
Msg #24134

based on your question...I would wait until you know what you should be cautious of and your state laws. You can one, lose a loan for someone or two, get yourself into legal difficulties.

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/7/05 2:43pm
Msg #24139

Agree with Charm, although at some point you gotta jump in and get your feet wet. You might wish to indicate in your handle what state you are from (just as I am Ted from MI).

Reply by Coradene Rutledge on 3/7/05 4:37pm
Msg #24155

Thanks. Can you tell me how I can find out about my state laws?

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/7/05 5:10pm
Msg #24161

Are you talking about your state notary laws? Or the laws regarding loan signings?

Reply by Coradene Rutledge on 3/8/05 9:29am
Msg #24345

My state notary laws.
Thanks

Reply by jones on 3/7/05 3:08pm
Msg #24141

That interesting because I am in the same positon. I've watched a friend do a re-finance and I am anxious to get started, but a little scared myself. But, I won't learn until I do it myself. With the help of friends I can call on the phone of course!!

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 3/7/05 3:50pm
Msg #24146

If you are looking for someone to walk you through a signing, you may not be ready. I suggest, if you haven't done so already I suggest completing many of the basic notarizations, become familiar with loan docs, possibly through a seminar or workshop; then proceed with a signing.
There are many things to be cautious about during a signing; I personally just do not think someone can walk you through a signing.

I believe there are Signing Agent courses whereby you can learn about and become familiar with the documents in a loan packet.

With knowledge comes confidence.

Good luck,
Stephanie

Reply by Coradene Rutledge on 3/7/05 4:31pm
Msg #24154

Thanks for all your assistant. I do not want to jeapodize my certification. I would like to attend a workshop or seminar, but seems to be having a problem finding one in my area. I live in NC. Are there any suggestions.

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/7/05 6:35pm
Msg #24188

Hi Coradene,

No, I don't know. But I would suggest that if you post again you indicate what state you are from, say like "Coradene - NC".

Reply by Marty, TX on 3/7/05 11:33pm
Msg #24279

My first time, I jumped right in and there wasnt a problem. Basically its notarization after notarization, after notarization. If anyone asks a question about a document and I dont know the answer I refer them to their loan officer or we call the ss. It's that simple. One question I kept getting from borrowers is why do I have to sign a W9, or why is my wife on a separate w9 than mine... I got this from alot of borrowers, basically its so that if the ss gets audited they have proof that it wasnt a made up loan. I agree if your just getting your notary license you should notarize basic assignments first then jump into the NS. You have to start somewhere.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.