Notary Rotary
1st for me
Notary Discussion History

1st for me
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 3/19/05 3:48pm
Msg #26457

1st for me

This morning I had an 8:00 NFCU that took about 20 minutes. It probably would have taken less but the woman was in the middle of remodeling her home, by herself, and there literally wasn't anyplace to sit. We finally made a place on the couch and used our knees as tables.

That wasn't really the first, because I have had one that was similar, but we used TV trays for that one. My first was after signing and then re-reviewing, I took the FedEx envelope from her, because the original packet was sent to her and put the docs inside. Then she took the envelope from me and peeled off the sticky envelope sealer and put the envelope on the table. I told her that I needed to take it with me, and she said, "oh, I thought I was supposed to send it off." I told her that shipping it off was part of my duties. She then proceeded to write down the tracking number. I've never had a borrower interested in taking down the tracking numbers before, but then I've never had a borrower who worked for the FBI either. So I guess I had more than one first today!

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/19/05 5:13pm
Msg #26469

Carolyn,

I had a similar experience with a Navy Federal Heloc, that the borrower wished to return the docs. I am convinced it was because the docs were sent to them. I didn't protest too much and allowed them to return the docs.

Reply by TAURA PA on 3/19/05 8:13pm
Msg #26484

I Love NFCU. The packages are so small! I get a lot of jobs from them, and it's in and out for me.

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 3/19/05 8:15pm
Msg #26485

I realized a long time ago that I must tell the borrower when I confirm the appointment to clear a table for us to sign. I went for a long time without saying this until in one week, I had three horrible experiences.

In one case, a guy puts me in a folding chair in his cluttered, disgusting living room.. while he kneels before me (I guess he planned to use my lap as a desk). NOT!!! I politely asked if there was a table we could move to... and he then proceeded to take me through to his kitchen. It took him another 20 minutes just to clear the table! Arrrggghhh! Now I always ask them to clear a table for the signing.

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 3/20/05 8:23am
Msg #26517

Tracking # to borrowers ...

I always tell and show the borrowers where their original signed documents are being returned to. More than 50% of the time they write down the tracking number; some state they are going to track the delivery.

About a year ago I had a borrower call me a month after a signing to THANK ME.
Borrower thought the loan had funded, everything paid off (no cash out, brought certified $ to the table). Got a notice on existing loans that was late on payments. Huh? New lender was supposed to pay these off. Borrower called the lender and got, "we never received the package. Your loan didn't fund." The borrower then called FedEx with the tracking number and got all the information to confirm the lender had received the package two business days after the signing, including time of delivery.

Lender then discovered, "Oops. We had it all the time.... your loan documents got misplaced on someone's desk ..." The LENDER picked up all the extra interest changes and late fees for the payoffs, including sending the borrower a written apology. Makes me wonder about in-house tracking among lenders, title companies, and signing companies - no one noticed this loan had "gone missing." The signing company had my faxed confirmation, but lender and title company never called the signing company to check on the status of this signing.

I always keep the tracking number and information with my confirmations. If I am shipping through my on-line account, I set up an Email response to notify me when the package is delivered, which I print out and save with my records.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/20/05 12:52pm
Msg #26527

Re: Tracking # to borrowers ...

Thanks, Bobbi. I always show the borrowrers *where* I'm sending the docs and also the fact of whether it will be there tomorrow morning or afternoon, or the day after for after hour pickup. I'd be willing to let the borrowers write down the tracking number, however, yesterday was the first time it's ever been done. I do keep the tracking numbers for my own reference.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with leaving the package with the borrowers and letting them ship it off even though it was originally sent to them. We are all too busy when it comes to our own "personal" matters. They might forget it, or it could get misplaced and burried on the kitchen table, or it could ride along in the car for who knows how long. I don't want to get a call from the SS or TC wanting to know where the package is. I don't know, maybe it's just me, and I'm being too cautious or not giving enough trust in the borrowers.

Reply by jj/ca on 3/21/05 12:09am
Msg #26582

Re: Tracking # to borrowers ...

It is hard enough for us to get paid sometimes from these ss without having to double check behind the borrowers now to see if they sent the docs back. Come on now, are you really going to trust your pay in the hands of another? Just let them get the tracking#

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.