Notary Rotary
2nd time to notarize with a person
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Elizabeth_CA on 3/6/05 3:40pm
Msg #23966

If you are going back to notarize different documents with the same person, would you consider that person as "personally known", and not have to take ID again?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/6/05 4:01pm
Msg #23974

From _our_ manual ... “Personally known” means having an acquaintance, derived from association with the individual, which establishes the individual’s identity with at least a reasonable certainty.

So, if you are comfortable and reasonably certain that the person in front of you is the person named, then you're good to go.

Again, this is based on FL notary statutes and guidelines.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/6/05 4:13pm
Msg #23976

Nah! CYA!

Reply by Donna CA on 3/7/05 2:30am
Msg #24039

In CA you have to know them a bit longer than a notarization ago. Check your handbook. But it never hurts to ask. Some of the people at this forum just try to make you feel like it does

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/7/05 9:18am
Msg #24074

Elizabeth,

I went to the same borrower's house three times in four days (through no fault of my own). Did I consider them "personally known"? No, but by the same token I didn't ask for their drivers licenses again, as I already had seem them and had all the relevant information in hand.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.