Notary Rotary
Accept/Cancel Assignment
Notary Discussion History

Accept/Cancel Assignment
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 3/23/05 4:35pm
Msg #27266

Accept/Cancel Assignment

I received a call about 11:00 this morning for a 7:00 signing tonight. I quite frankly felt like I was talking to Dell Computers because I could not understand the guy's accent at all. We bickered back and forth and he finally accepted my fee and said he would fax confirmation. When I received the confirmation, the name of the SS was nothing like what I *thought* he had said.

I know that I am one of the first ones who admit to not putting much emphisis in no-no lists, but decided to see what there was on this company because I had never heard of them. They appear on every no-no list in creation for no-pay, slow-pay, mismanagement, threats from attorneys to get paid--only when payment is received, the fee has been cut drastically. I've never been rippped of and not paid by any SS, but my gut feeling to me to cancel this one.

I immediately fax the confirmation back stating that I am declining the signing because of their poor reputation ... blah, blah, blah, and that I was giving them enough time to still find a signer for tonight. Three hours later I begin getting both faxed docs and edocs from the TC. I faxed back their cover sheet along with my faxed cancellation to SS explaining why I was canceling the signing, and I e-mailed the docs back, again explaining why I was declining the signing. I haven't heard back from either SS or TC -- if TC wants to pay me directly, I will go ahead with the signing in four hours, however, I'm not doing it for the SS.

I guess the whole point of this post is when I say not to put much stock in no-no lists *unless* they show up on several different lists and several different complaints, then a red flag should go up.

Reply by Stella on 3/23/05 4:42pm
Msg #27268

Hi, thanks for sharing you experience ... but where can I find such no-no lists ... I am new in this site

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/23/05 4:47pm
Msg #27271

Stella,
Use the orange search button and enter no no lists and you will get several. Again, there are any number of reasons why a company can appear on a no no list and some people's trash are others riches. You have to use your own judgment, and if you see the company on only one list or so, then I usually say take a chance and do one signing and see what transpires. If they appear over and over and numerous complaints for different things, then I usually say a red flag should go up.

Reply by Stella on 3/23/05 4:50pm
Msg #27273

Thanks a lot!

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/23/05 9:34pm
Msg #27351

Re: Searching

Stella,

You also might want to use the word "avoid" as a search tool.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/23/05 4:42pm
Msg #27269

Re: correction

**I've never been rippped of and not paid by any SS, but my gut feeling to me to cancel this one.**

Should say ... ripped off and not paid by any SS, but my gut feeling was telling me to cancel this one.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/23/05 5:11pm
Msg #27277

Just received an e-mail from TC telling me that there was no need to apologize and they are aware of SS's reputation and very seldom use them, but today they were in a bind. TC (who happens to be local) asked permission to contact me directly for future signings. I think that many TCs are aware of the sleezy SSs, but they are in between a rock and a hard place because of IC contracts, ethics or what not between them and the SSs.

Reply by Victoria/FL on 3/23/05 7:10pm
Msg #27317

Good for you!

Hopefully this will be a win-win and you'll start receiving business from the TC. Good luck!

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/23/05 7:38pm
Msg #27327

Did you tell the TC that you would be willing to do the signing tonight if they paid you directly? Normally that's not something I would recommend or condone, but I think there are definitely exceptions with certain horrific signing services.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/23/05 9:18pm
Msg #27347

No, I didn't. After posting that I would, I calmed down and got to thinking it wasn't one of my most ethical moves. The TC and I have sent about 3 e-mails back and forth since they told me no need to apologize. I sent the edocs back and told them I would wipe them from my emails and would also shred the faxed docs. I told them that I hope I wasn't leaving them in a bind. They did not ask me to do this signing direct, I'm sure because of ethics on their part, also. I've never signed up with the SS and I never signed an IC agreement or sent them a W-9, so I don't feel obligated to them and starting tomorrow will be free to work with the TC directly without any qualms or guilt.

I feel pretty good about the outcome, and we're now getting badly needed snow (our winters usually occur in March), so all in all, I think life is pretty good.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/24/05 2:39am
Msg #27391

Congrats! You did everything right, IMHO. n/m

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 3/23/05 8:40pm
Msg #27337

good for you. and since the tc contacted you the ss can't whine about it.

Reply by Melody on 3/23/05 10:20pm
Msg #27360

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I echo that statement! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.