Notary Rotary
Administering Oaths and Acknowledgements
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Happy_in_Fl on 3/31/05 8:35pm
Msg #28986

Went to Borrowers home for a Refi. Signing this afternoon.

First thing I hear is "Are they gonna lie again to me about my loan? This is the third time we are trying this, I want to see the Interest rate, the charges, the payment amount etc etc"

Show them the various Docs- they smile- they are happy. So we procede - a half hour later. (This mind you is the third Lender- they refused the others because they lied to them-)

With my Journal and tools of the trade on the table, I ask the husband to please raise his hand and take the oath. He does- then the wife.

Here is what surprised me. Husband says "Is this new? The other lady notary that was here, and the other man last week that was here- they did not have us take any oath!! All they wanted to see was our ID".

Made me think- Oh my gosh- what Notaries are going out there and NOT having Borrowers to be sworn in before Signing docs. If the Title Companies knew that, they would "Pitch a Fit"., to say nothing about the Lenders, who might be challenged in court by Borrowers who say "We didn't take any oath!"

The Reverberations could be devastating!

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/31/05 9:05pm
Msg #28990

It is scary. I run into this too. "Last guy did not care if our license had exired," or "last person would not answear any of our quiestions, just old us to call the lender", When I asked what kind of quiestions answear was "where can I find my intrest rate" or "is there a form that shows me what my payment will be."And thees signings usualy are a second signing, so maby the signing job was sloppy too.

Reply by CA on 3/31/05 9:10pm
Msg #28992

Re: Administering ...Hopefully, they had a good grasp

on Verbiage skills.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/31/05 9:13pm
Msg #28993

They probaly had your attitude, by the sound of the borrowers. Borrowers where not very happy. Your second post comming back right?
bouth nasty .....oh my.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/31/05 9:37pm
Msg #29001

Why do consider "verbiage" a skill? It is a detractor, not something you would want.

ver·bi·age n. - An excess of words for the purpose; wordiness.

Goes along with words like verbose and verbosity.

The "skill" that one needs to acquire is communication. Expression, vocabulary and enunciation are the tools one needs to hone their skill of communication.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/31/05 9:43pm
Msg #29003

Re: Administering ...A cheep shot using wrong word, oh my !!

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/31/05 10:43pm
Msg #29016

I just LOVE your answers on this message board!
Mysti

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/31/05 10:55pm
Msg #29021

Thanks (n/m)

Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/31/05 9:18pm
Msg #28994

>>> Made me think- Oh my gosh- what Notaries are going out there and NOT having Borrowers to be sworn in before Signing docs. If the Title Companies knew that, they would "Pitch a Fit"., to say nothing about the Lenders, who might be challenged in court by Borrowers who say "We didn't take any oath!" <<<

I don't think you will find too many, if any, title companies or lenders who would have a hissy fit or even think twice about not having the borrowers "sworn in". It just follows that there are too many notaries who don't properly perform the oath (or affirmation) as required either.

As a point, especially in FL, whether or not a notary properly performs the notarization, does not release the signer of the document from the ramifications of the oath, since the document specifically states that the affiants depose and state. And, under FL statutes, an improper notarization does not invalidate the document or the signers liability and commitment.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/31/05 9:23pm
Msg #28996

Re: Administering Oaths and Acknowledgments

Happy, I come across this all the time. They say they have never been put under oath before.
One signing I did, the broker was there, he says he always attends the "closings".
The title company that hired me told me he had said it was the first time he had seen a notary put the borrowers under oath. They told him that is why they use me, because they know I do everything "by the book".

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/31/05 9:29pm
Msg #28998

Re: No undercover remark!!!!! intresting

Reply by Melody on 3/31/05 9:33pm
Msg #28999

Same here

I've had loan officers tell me they have never seen an oath given.

Yikes!

And Tuesday a notary and officer at a title company told me I didn't need to add the name of my state and county to a notarial certificate lacking one. "I never do" she said.

Yikes again!

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/31/05 9:34pm
Msg #29000

Re: Same here...Yikes indeed!!! n/m

Reply by Della on 4/1/05 12:03am
Msg #29048

Re: Same here

Happen just tonight they were amazed I put them under oath,they said no one ever has before.
I can't seem to get my state back by my name,I change it in profile and hit update,it then says this name is already in use.

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 4/1/05 2:49am
Msg #29072

Yes- By the Book- thats the Safest in my Book! Thx all. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.