Notary Rotary
AntiVirus problem
Notary Discussion History

AntiVirus problem
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 3/11/05 8:50am
Msg #24906

AntiVirus problem

I bought and started to download the 2005 upgrade to Norton AntiVirus. The installation stopped, and a popup window informed me that a prior version of NAV was preventing the installation of NAV 2005. The window directed me to remove the prior version. I did a remove. At the close of the remove, a popup instructed me that I needed to restart my computer before the remove would be effective. I restarted my computer, figuring that Norton must be aware that computers have to be restarted as part of such procedures, and that the NAV 2005 installation program would automatically pick back up.

HAH!

There was no automatic reinsertion into the install program. Now I have no Norton AntiVirus at all, past, present or future. I have no icon to click on even to get into the install. I have no protection. I feel every bit as vulnerable as an Aggie at a Mensa conference.

I have attempted to obtain technical support by calling Norton. I went through four levels of menus, only to be directed to call a telephone number that turns out to be disconnected. I have e-mailed Norton for assistance, but the reply will take up to 24 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get back into the NAV 2005 installation? I can't surf the net safely, and I am fearful of opening e-mails until I get an AV program installed.

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/11/05 9:10am
Msg #24915

Hugh...
it seems you're not the only one...here is a link to a nav forum, maybe youcan get some clues there...while waiting for assistance

http://bink.nu/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7368

Reply by Dave_CA on 3/11/05 9:15am
Msg #24920

Hugh,
I tried (800) 927-3991 and got as far as their support queue. This is their paid support number but they have generally not charged when it is their problem. Hope this helps.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/11/05 9:11am
Msg #24916

You can safely navigate the internet without NAV protection. Start your browser and go directly to http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat/ec_MAIN.Entry?SP=10007&SID=27674&CID=0&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=51411

Do not pass go and do not collect $200. Download and install NAV 2005.

If you have already downloaded the installation program, simply start it from your hard drive.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 3/11/05 9:12am
Msg #24917

This May Not be a Reply You Want to Hear...

...but if I were you I'd get away from Norton AV completely. I put up with their infuriating product & lack of customer service for over 8 years until October of 2004 when I switched to Computer Associate's (CA) eTrust EZ-AV program & haven't looked back. I've had installation problems in the past with Norton AV exactly like what you're experiencing now. I also discovered Norton AV slows your entire system down, a problem I don't have with EZ-AV. This is just a suggestion & one you may not find to your liking. JMHO!

Reply by John_NorCal on 3/12/05 12:01am
Msg #25068

Re: This May Not be a Reply You Want to Hear...

Dennis, do you have a web address for computer assoc?
Thanks!

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 3/12/05 8:13am
Msg #25095

Here's a Link...

...to their Home and Home Office Store.

http://store.ca.com/dr/sat3/ec_Main.Entry17c?SID=35715&SP=10007&PID=&PN=0&CID=179788&api1=78&api2=1&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=179788

Reply by Stephen/VA on 3/11/05 9:33am
Msg #24928

I wouldn't worry about navigating the Internet long enough to go get the download again. Browsing the Internet and downloading highly trusted files is a minimum risk activity, especially if you have a firewall. And in reality those are two separate types of risks and antivirus specifically isn't the remedy.

Your risk of getting a virus in that time is probably similar to being hit by a falling piece of aircraft debris. Though I haven't done the necessary calculations. Smiley

Reply by Lawrence_OK on 3/11/05 9:53am
Msg #24939

I hate NAV to a passion, it robs 90% of windows resources and it does not catch a lot of the back door trojans. Hugh, do yourself a favor and get rid of NAV and get AVG it's free and imo it works a lot better then NAV. you can download it at www.grisoft.com

Reply by HisHughness on 3/11/05 10:27am
Msg #24947

I had AVG; disabled NAV and installed the free download. My computer got so corrupted I just junked it and bought another one, then wiped the hard drive on the old computer, which now backs up my files. It may have been a goner before I put AVG on it, but my one experience with AVG was not positive.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/11/05 11:57am
Msg #24969

Can't you click on Run - go the cd room and click setup or the autorun from the CD directly?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.