Notary Rotary
Beginner Fears - Equity Line 1st time on the job
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Sam on 3/12/05 11:34am
Msg #25118

Hello! I am brand new to this board and a brand new notary. I studied for the CA test on my own in December and just finalized my bond, etc. I sent out a message to everyone in my address book to let them know I am ready to begin. Lo and behold an acquaintance wants me to notarize "equity lines" at the Wells Fargo where they work. SO - is anyone out there familiar with the paperwork? Is it obvious where I place my stamp? Am I correct in my assumption that I should use the jurat stamp I bought - or is this a case where I need to use an acknowledgement form? I feel so unprepared - any advice would be most appreciated!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/12/05 11:55am
Msg #25121

I really think you should get some experience as a notary before doing loans.

Study your manual - California has an excellent handbook.

Your seal should only go on notary certificates, the wording on the certificate will tell you if it is an acknowledgment or a jurat.

Reply by Sam on 3/12/05 11:59am
Msg #25123

After spending a few more minutes crusing this message board I found this:

"Please do two things: 1) Read, AND TAKE THE TIME TO FULLY COMPREHEND, your state’s manual for notaries public; then 2) come back to this board. Above the menu of posts, click the "First" button. Go all the way to the very first post in June 2003, "Welcome to the General Discussion Forum." Read all the way to the last post today. You will find your answer many times over in the intervening messages, along with far better information about being a signing agent than you’ll ever get from any certification course. I realize that much of what you will read will be duplicative, and some will be totally irrelevant. But, in sum, reading the archives of this board will almost surely be the most informative thing you will ever do to assist you in being a signing agent. You also would be well advised to pursue any Internet sites that posters have indicated might be helpful in furthering your knowledge."

OKAY - message read and received! I will write again when I know what I specifically need help with Smiley have a great weekend!

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/12/05 1:10pm
Msg #25131

If this acquaintance knows that you're brand new, see if they're willing to walk you through a set of documents and show you exactly what needs to be done.

The point that we're constantly trying to hammer into new notaries' heads is that they need to be trained before they start taking on loan doc signings. And it sounds like you've potentially got a pretty good source to train you.

Do keep in mind that knowing how to notarize properly and all of the laws that go along with it is YOUR responsibility, not something that a Wells Fargo officer would train you on. Read this board, read your notary handbook a million more times and you should get the hang of that aspect of things.

Reply by nt/ca on 3/12/05 2:19pm
Msg #25143

Unfortunately it seems there's a bit of a catch-22 inherent in all of this. Most training courses that certify signing agents are woefully inadequate. They don't actually train you on how to do a signing - not the practical ins and outs. They don't really go over all the potential documents and problems a signing agent may confront.

In some cases the certification exams offered are open book and have the exact same questions as the sample exam (and give you the answer key). So you're not really getting adequately tested to be certain you understood what you were taught.

There's little opportunity to get hands-on training - as is often evidenced on this board, experienced signing agents aren't inclined or interested in training other notaries - as this would be training their competition.

So, given that there are no real industry standards for training, certification and testing - and there's not many individuals interested in acting as "trainers" - the only way for a "newbie" to learn is to dive in head first and hope they don't royally screw up.

Perhaps, rather than bickering amongst ourselves over all the poorly trained newbies who are making the industry look poor or amateurish, we should be lobbying for adequate training and industry standards.

Just a thought...

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/12/05 2:31pm
Msg #25146

nt - be careful what you wish for.

Pushing for industry standards for loan signing agent, will make the states look further at our role, and before you know it, all states will become attorney only states.

Reply by nt/ca on 3/12/05 3:03pm
Msg #25148

I understand your concerns.

It just seems a shame that we complain and complain that the NNA and Notaryclasses.com, et al are flooding the market with people who don't know what they are doing - and who are ruining the signing industry for everyone else - and yet no one really steps up to say "Here's how we can help" or "Sure, I'd be happy to train you" - instead we tell them to "read the message board 'cause all your questions will be answered" and "no, since you're likely to take all the jobs for $50 and bring down the industry and cut in on my territory, I won't take you on a signing or meet you for coffee and show you the ropes."

like I said... catch 22

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/12/05 3:50pm
Msg #25155

The Signing Registry has the best training guide for Signing Agents. The also have a mentor program for the members that ask for one (you have to be a member). I have mentored several of the signing agents.

It really is understandable that a signing agent in your own backyard doesn't want to take you on a signing - you would be their competition, and when an area is saturated with signing agents you don't really want to help to add to your competition.

I have helped signing agents in my own backyard - I even send them work! I am well enough established that I don't have to worry about competition. One company has even told me that they would rather pay my higher fee for an area than get someone else.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/12/05 7:29pm
Msg #25185

There kind of is a catch 22, but that's the case in many industries. Yet there are still many of us who managed to get adequate training before heading out on our first signing. Unfortunately it's still possible for new agents to get signings and just hope that they learn by their mistakes. Which does nobody any good.

The original poster of this thread seems to be in a unique situation to circumvent the catch 22, in that he (or she) personally knows somebody who can actually teach him how to do these particular signings. Which is a much better start than most of the new notaries in here get.

And which is why I didn't post my usual response that a notary who doesn't even know how to notarize should NOT be doing loan signings yet. Which of course still remains true.

Reply by CA on 3/12/05 3:37pm
Msg #25152

Re: Beginner Fears - What Helped Me

I too shared your first-time fears. What was helpful to me, was seeing the wording "SWORN"
That kicked in that it needed a JURAT instead of an Acknowledgement. Good luck to you.

Reply by Sam on 3/12/05 7:37pm
Msg #25186

Re: Beginner Fears - 400 messages later

I definately agree about being caught in a catch 22. I read the first 400 posts and I will read more each day until I have caught up! Please confirm the following info I gleaned about being a notary. There seems to be a lot of concern about getting paid - some of you really got taken for some $$$. Am I correct that SA stands for signing agent and SS is signing service? Seems the SS does not always pay the SA in a timely manner - if at all - why don't you collect payment when services are rendered? I belive that any notary in CA can act as an SA, but most of your suggest getting the certification title from NNA - true? I'm also confused about e-docs - it sounds like this is paperwork you recieve and then take to the client on the SS's behalf. Why wouldn't the customer already have these in hand? Just call me Newbie Smiley I'm trying to learn - please don't flame me!

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/12/05 9:33pm
Msg #25199

Sam,

Good for you that you are reading the back messages. One suggestion I would have is that you sign up with mortgagedocs. They are a wonderful company to start off with. The packages are small HELOCS (home equity lines of credit). There are all sorts of tips in the package as to what to do and how to do it correctly.

They are based in California, I beileve in Fresno. While it is only basically a $50 company, they do pay like clockwork (on the fifteenth of the month for all the signings in the prior month). and they have a system called Signstat, which is a neat online communication system (for lack of a better term). But the packages are small, and when you get used to them they won't take that long.

And the packages are fed-exed overnight! So no e-docs to be concerned about.

Reply by Debbie/NJ on 3/13/05 6:56am
Msg #25232

My sister is starting out as a Signing Agent. I have been showing her everything I know. I even took her on a signing with me. It's hard for "newbees" to get work since they don't have experience. Your suggestion sounded like a good company for her to get started with so I checked out "www.mortgagedocs.com" and they ask how many signings you have done. If a "newbee" entered "0" would they still get work from mortgagedocs.com? TIA

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/13/05 7:41am
Msg #25234

Debbie,

I don't know if I can answer that question. I never really signed up with them. I just got a call out of the blue like four months ago for a special situation, which as it turned out didn't work out. I recollect that I gave them some info over the phone, and since then they have sent a lot of business my way. At that time I had done some signings, but I also had a "heavy duty" background.

As far as not having any signing experience, all I can say is that if one has any related experience that should be emphasized.

Reply by Sam on 3/13/05 12:51pm
Msg #25266

Very good to know - I will definately check them out and make sure they know about my overall job experience as well.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.