Notary Rotary
Can you notorize passport and Visa?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by drmaster_CA on 3/30/05 9:23pm
Msg #28703

One of my client wants me to nortorize his passport and Visa.
Can we do that? How?
I was going to make a certified copy but California notary may only certified copies of power of attorney or my own notary public journal.

Does anyone know how?
Thanks

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/30/05 9:27pm
Msg #28705

You can notarize the INS documents that will issue a passport and visa. But I don't think you can notarize the passport and visa directly. Your client probably doesn't understand your role and thinks that by notarizing the instruments you are "issuing".

In Massachusetts we are allowed to certify copies of passports.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/30/05 9:38pm
Msg #28713

Don't take advice from anyone not from CA!

In fact, you probably should not notarize a copy of a passport unless a CA expert specifically says OK.

Reply by Ernest is right - Call SOS, CA on 3/30/05 10:11pm
Msg #28721

Re: Don't take advice from anyone not from CA!

Call your Sec of State office in Sacramento.

I don't trust the boards for specific information like this. Well-meaning people can be wrong.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/30/05 10:16pm
Msg #28724

No, but you might be able to use "Copy Certification by Document Custodian". They would make a copy of their passport and visa and present those to you with the originals, then swear under oath that they are true and exact copies of those documents. Remember, you can not tell a person what document to use, however....you can show him an acknowledgement, jurat, and copy certification by document custodian and have him/her tell you what to use. Not all places may accept the Copy Certification by Document Custodian but I've never had one returned. If you don't have this form i can email you one.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/30/05 10:22pm
Msg #28728

An honest question, ...

... not being a smart-aleck here: Is the "document custodian" the person whose passport it is? I'm thinking not, based on the birth / death certificate model. I'm guessing that the custodian would be the Secretary of State of the United States.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/30/05 10:35pm
Msg #28731

Re: An honest question, ...

The custodian is the person who has possession of the document (has custody of it) :-)

Reply by Cheryl_NV on 4/19/05 8:31pm
Msg #32737

So what I am reading is that you can certify a copy of a passport. Is that correct?

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/19/05 9:54pm
Msg #32767

Cheryl,

In Texas you cannot certify anything that is already recorded in a government entity's official files (ie, passport, birth certificate, driver's license, social security card, deed, etc. -- these things are recorded by a government authority.)

However, you can notarize a statement from a person swearing that the copy they have attached to their statement is a true and correct copy if they wish to make such a statement. (Let them write the statement, let them pick the notarial certificate to attach to the statement.)

In Texas the proper way to get a certified copy of these things is to ask the government authority that issues them.

Check your notary handbook.

Disclaimer: Not giving legal advice, just explaining my interpretation of my own notary laws.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/20/05 7:52am
Msg #32808

Brenda, please enlighten me ... You said, "In Texas the proper way to get a certified copy of these things is to ask the government authority that issues them." How can the State Department provide a certified copy of a passport when the holder of the passport has the only original? AAFAIK, the State Department will not even relinquish any information about the passport or the holder to anyone except certain law enforcement and immigration authorities.

Reply by Cheryl_NV on 4/20/05 8:44am
Msg #32821

The Nevada handbook and SOS website say nothing about a passport. It is not legal to notarize a Birth, Death, Marriage or Divorce Certificate.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/30/05 10:44pm
Msg #28735

In the case of a birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, the Registrar is the custodian of those documents and the person only has a copy - this is why we cannot certify those kind of certificates, because they would be copies of copies.

In the matter of a passport, the person whose passport it is has an original, there is not a copy. So the passport holder is the custodian.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/30/05 10:50pm
Msg #28737

Good explanation Sylvia! n/m

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/30/05 11:31pm
Msg #28743

Thanks, Sylvia! Great explanation! n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/30/05 11:56pm
Msg #28753

Re: Thanks, Sylvia! Great explanation! n/m

Exactly how I explain it in notary classesSmiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/30/05 11:58pm
Msg #28754

Great explanation!

I couldn't have said it better. AAMOF, I was writing something very similar, but read your response and canned mine since you did it perfectly. Again. As usual.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/31/05 12:14am
Msg #28758

If Sylvia or Paul ever come to New England, ...

... dinner is on me! You two have probably helped more people here than ... well, I'd better not finish that sentence.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/31/05 12:30am
Msg #28762

Re: If Sylvia or Paul ever come to New England, ...

Well, I usually come to NE twice a year. (I lived in NH for 23 years before moving permanently to FL. All my children, my father and my sister and her family, all live in NH.) Having said that, I'm not a New England native and won't claim New England as my homeland, except maybe in early October in the mountains or in mid May. Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/31/05 8:14am
Msg #28785

Ernest...

Ernest,

You are aware that Sylvia calls Paul her "Pops," right? Not sure what this means, but Sylvia does call him "Popsie."

Maybe Paul forgets sometimes that Sylvia is his FL "daughter." Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/31/05 1:54pm
Msg #28876

Re: Ernest...

How can I forget? Everyone keeps reminding me. Smiley

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/31/05 8:51am
Msg #28796

OOOOHHHHH

New England Clam Cowder! Lobster!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/31/05 2:05pm
Msg #28880

The best New England clam chowder I've ever had was in St. Louis. (Actually, St. Charles) There was a great (but dumpy) restaurant owned and operated by two New England quahogers. The restaurant was called Noah's Ark and was located right off I-70 on 5th St.

Of course, there's nothing like Rock Island cold water lobsters.

Reply by drmaster_CA on 3/31/05 12:45am
Msg #28765

Thank you very much Barbara

Can you e-mail me a form?

Kenneth.

[e-mail address]

Reply by Pa/SoCa on 3/31/05 1:28am
Msg #28771

Re: Can you notorize passport and Visa?/BarbaraL

Drmaster, or Barbara, I also am in need of one, can you pls email as well
TIA
[e-mail address]

Reply by Reggie on 3/31/05 2:02am
Msg #28773

Just a note I was told by a friend that if you take your passport request to the PostMaster and it is notarized by any one else it will be turned down. I'm not sure this friend is accurate or not but she does have a passport.

Reggie
Kansas

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.