Class requirements for new CA Notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by April Cotten on 3/4/05 11:59am
Msg #23613

Hello All,

I am taking my notary exam on saturday. When reading through the updated notary laws I see that a 6 hour class is required for commission. Is there a list of classes in my area(Santa Clara County)? Can I take the exam before I take the class?

Thanks in advance,
April Cotten
San Jose, CA

Reply by Answers"R"us on 3/4/05 12:01pm
Msg #23616

Assembly Bill 2062 amends Government Code Section 8201(a)(3) by pushing back to July 1, 2005, the date when applicants must have completed a six-hour course on Notary duties approved by the Secretary of State. Previously, the commencement date was January 1, 2005, but delays in promulgating rules for course providers made the January

Reply by Jon on 3/4/05 12:09pm
Msg #23618

"Can I take the exam before I take the class?"

No.

As of today, the SOS has NOT approved any classes. Any class you take at this time is not suffucient to fulfill 6 hr requirement. The class is only required for commissions ISSUED on or after July 1, 2005. If you are renewing, you may be able to skip it this time if your expiration date is before 7-1-05.

Reply by Jon on 3/4/05 2:31pm
Msg #23658

Re: Class requirements for new CA Notary...Corrected Info

I just re-read my comments and need to correct my info.

"Can I take the exam before I take the class?"

YES!!!! The law does not say anything about taking the class before the test, only that it must be taken before the commission is issued.

As of today, the SOS has NOT approved any classes. Any class you take at this time is not suffucient to fulfill 6 hr requirement.

The class is only required for commissions ISSUED on or after July 1, 2005. If you are renewing, you may be able to skip it this time if your expiration date is before 7-1-05.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.