Notary Rotary
Companies to start with!!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Pooh/CA on 3/1/05 7:54pm
Msg #23148

I have been a notary/certified loan signing agent only 5 months and have been doing alot of individual signings but only 1 loan doc so far. Can anyone tell me which companies I should contact as a new signer? I have my business cards everywhere and they are disappearing faster than I can put them out, everyone tells me that lots of people are taking them but business is really slow right now. If this keeps up I'm going to have to get part time work on top of being a notary. I'm reading that everyone is slow right now, is that true?

Reply by Marla_NorCal on 3/1/05 8:00pm
Msg #23149

Where in CA are you? n/m

Reply by Pooh/CA on 3/1/05 9:11pm
Msg #23155

Re: Where in CA are you? n/m

I'm located in the Valencia area, North of the San Fernando Valley.

Reply by Kat on 3/1/05 8:04pm
Msg #23150

Hi Pooh I am a new Notary and Certified Loan Signing Agent also. Do you market yourself a lot online? from what I have been reading you need to sign up at all the agencies you can, some people spend about 13 hours a day marketing themselves.
This is only what I have read from three books. I hope things pick up for you! good luck and good luck to me also! Smiley

Reply by Laura_CA on 3/1/05 8:45pm
Msg #23152

Kat,, thats good strategy,, thats what I am doing as well, just be careful when signing up with SS's, fully read the working/contractor agreement/contract they want you to sign, I have refused to contract with several agencies because the non-competition section of the contract is too broad/encompassing of the industry, some even want you to maintain a 2 to 3 year "stay away" clause pertaining to "potential clients"?????

Reply by Pooh/CA on 3/1/05 9:21pm
Msg #23158

Good advice Laura! O.K. don't laugh but right now I've got my cards in the supermarkets,cleaners, my favorite donut shop and the attorneys in my area. My friends have taken my cards not to mention all the door to door I've done with title companies, escrow,
lenders and all my real estate friends. I'm signed up with the NNA and I've even asked the mailman if I could leave them in the neighborhood mailboxes which of course I can't by law, but the mailman even took my card. I'm going to the Glendale notary luncheon on Sunday and hope to shake alot of hands and put my cards in them at the same time. I'm running out of ideas and yes it does take some moneyto advertise. I've handed out dozens of candy bars and cards to everyone I can think of including my sons Karate school who asked me to leave some cards. Anybody got any other ideas, please share!!!!!!

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/1/05 10:00pm
Msg #23166

You need to get experience with SSs before targeting the title/escrow companies. SSs forgive learning mistakes, whereas if you mess up with the title company, you will rarely hear from them again. Also, most title companies won't even bother with you until you get 50-75 signings under your belt.

Reply by Laura_CA on 3/1/05 10:05pm
Msg #23167

I would not dare laugh,, I go out to New home tracts as well.. find out who the lender/title co's are they are using.. a notary luncheon sounds fun...in glendale you say? I'm not far from there..if you can share information on it.. feel free to directly email me, Thanks!! Laura
[e-mail address]

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/2/05 2:45pm
Msg #23295

I think you're focusing your efforts in the wrong direction. I don't think that randomly getting your business cards out everywhere possible is going to get you a whole lot of business beyond the occasional single notarization. If you're trying to get into loan signings it's virtually useless, you need to spend the time registering with 100+ signing services.

And remember, you're in an area where there are 3 notaries battling for business on every street corner. It's a tough market to crack, it's going to take a long time for you to get anywhere near where you can make a living from this. That part time job is probably the best thing you can do right now.

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/1/05 9:12pm
Msg #23156

Re: Pooh & Kat

One company I would contact is mortgagedocs. The packages are almost by and large Washington mutual HELOC's and very small. They put a lot of stickers on and include a lot of instructional sheets too to help you know what to do. The pay is only $50 but then the packages don't take very long. They always have been overnighted too. You might want to do a search for more comments, as either one or two words. By that I mean either mortgagedocs or mortgage + docs.

And kat you might want to indicate what state you are from. It helps those trying to respond to your posts.

Reply by Pooh/CA on 3/1/05 9:22pm
Msg #23159

Thanks Ted, your help is very much appreciated!!!!!

Reply by Kat/CA on 3/1/05 10:13pm
Msg #23169

Thanks Ted, I am located in Northern CA.

Reply by Dellaca on 3/1/05 11:01pm
Msg #23174

Where in northern ca Kat??

Reply by CaSigner on 3/2/05 3:15pm
Msg #23298

Most everyone on this board says to sign up with as many signing companies as possible. Other than those stated on this website and the NNA's website, where do you find agencies? Internet, phones book, etc. I have just about exhausted my avenues (I think).

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/2/05 3:37pm
Msg #23306

Signer,

Yes, I believe the internet is supposed to be an excellent source. I recollect this from having read this board (and also gomobilenotary) for many months. I would suggest you do a search using the word "internet" for more specifics.

Reply by CaSigner on 3/2/05 3:39pm
Msg #23307

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.