Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Do I need a laser printer when first starting as a CNSA?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by JAYNE COX on 3/9/05 11:33pm
Msg #24649

I'm just starting out as a certified notary signing agent, without a laser printer...and was wondering is it absolutely necessary for me to go purchase one before I start sigining up with signing companies...and if so, what kind do you suggest? (Or do signing companies send the client or me the docs directly?)

Thank you for your support!!

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/9/05 11:52pm
Msg #24654

Emphatically yes, if you intend to do edocs (sent to you; not borrower). But, you can probably get away with refusing edocs 'til you get your feet wet & know what you're getting yourself into. There as many opinions as there are notaries as to which printer is best.... and I'm not going there...

Reply by Jon on 3/10/05 12:30am
Msg #24664

I agree with Lee. Except for the printer, I like the one that is opposite of his. Smiley

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/10/05 8:49am
Msg #24707

Jayne,

You have asked several questions. As to whether you need a laser printer or not, I think that depends upon whether you have a Kinko's-fedex nearby (or some comparable facility) where you can get copies printed.

As far as what kind of laser printer to purchase, I would suggest you do a search on this site. This is an issue that has been addressed (and responded to) before. I speak from personal experience, as I am in the process of buying a new one.

As to whether signing companies, etc send docs directly to the borrower or to you, yes that indeed can happen, although I believe the trend is definitely to e-docs particularly when you are talking about refinances.

Finally, I would dispense with your last name and indicate what state you are from if you post again (i.e. Jayne - XL).

Reply by BK/FL on 3/10/05 8:54am
Msg #24709

A Laser Printer to a Signing Agent is a necessity. It ranks pretty high up there as a required item to have to be successful in this business, just like having a cell phone.

As to what brand or type, do a search on this forum and you will find several posts pertaining to that. It boils down to your preferrence with the printer meeting the requirments needed.

Best of luck and happy shopping! BK/FL

Reply by Daivd DE on 3/10/05 10:10am
Msg #24729

After completing my first set of Edocs with the printer that I used in college, I'd have to say YES!
My first order of business today is to research a laser printer and fax type of combination because if my printer ran any slower it woyld be running in reverse. Save yourself the fustration

Reply by Dave_CA on 3/10/05 10:05am
Msg #24726

I would also suggest that you identify your state as you will get more meaningful answers that way.
If you are in one of the really saturated states, such as CA, then I would wait until you are certain you can make this career work for you. Until then you can turn down edocs or use the Kinko option.
If you do decide to get a printer I suggest one with two trays as this is being requested more and more.
Finally I have a strong preference for HP products. I find them extremely reliable and PCL support is built in rather than emulated. You will pay a bit more compared to the others and there are many experienced people on this board who strongly prefer these other printers.
You will need to do a search and decide from there.
I wish you all the best. Unless you’re in my area of course. :-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.