Notary Rotary
Drop box or pick up
Notary Discussion History

Drop box or pick up
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Mary Pierce on 3/9/05 11:51am
Msg #24538

Drop box or pick up

I called FedEx last night to see if they would pick up a package today and they told me that there is an extra $4.00 charge to have the driver pick up the package from my home. That would be charged to the recipient. Does that make sense? I've been putting the packages in a drop box but there are certain times where it is either just to cold to get out of the car LOL...or it's sort of out of my way. Has anyone else run into this?

Reply by Becky on 3/9/05 1:05pm
Msg #24552

Yes, there is an additional fee for one-time pick up, per package. You can have a different account setup with Fed-Ex such as daily pickup, or every M/W/F, etc. But there is a quota you need to meet with Fed-Ex and there is also a flat weekly fee. With this there will not be an additional pick-up fee. Same goes with UPS.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/9/05 1:20pm
Msg #24554

I wasn't aware of that....I set up an account for myself but always bill recipient like everyone does. I heard of people having Fed Ex come to their home to pick up packages but I guess I do not have enough volume to make that work my while.

Reply by DellaCa on 3/9/05 1:35pm
Msg #24560

Re: Drop box or pick up-Question please

Some of the instructions I recieve say ( when it is a late night signing) the doc should be overnighted by the very next morning at least, all the drop boxes in my area do not pick up untill afternoon so the shipment will not be out to them untill the next day anyway .So should I worry about getting it to a drop that may pick up earlier than in my area? Thanks

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/9/05 2:07pm
Msg #24572

yikes...

I've been having them pick up at my home...no complaints...maybe that's why I'm not busy lol

BTW: If you send Transcontinental Title anything other than a regular cardboard FedEx envelope, they will dock you $25.
I sent docs in the plastic legal size that said pak on it...they do not have that service in their contract, was what I was told. I took the assignment from Interstate Closing.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/9/05 2:12pm
Msg #24576

Re: FEDEX supplies

Order a pack of the legal size envelopes at 800 231 9219. Fedex will drop at your house - no charge. Also, order the sticky pouches for the shipping doc.

Art

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 3/9/05 1:55pm
Msg #24567

Hmmmm...

Both Fed Ex and UPS come directly to my house. I will call them if I have a package. They've never said anything about an additional fee. I wonder if they're charging the recipient?

It's not like I have a high volume either-only a few a month.

Reply by John_NY on 3/9/05 2:11pm
Msg #24575

Re: Hmmmm...

Charm - Transcontinental Title mentions on their instructions that you must submit the package to them in a FedEx Legal reusable envelope or they will dock you. I have never had any problems with them, I have a bumch of those envelopes at home.

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/9/05 2:19pm
Msg #24577

John..

You know...I ordered supplies from FedEx and they told me the only cardboard envelopes were regular sized, when I said I needed legal size that's what they gave me...hmmm - I'll have to make another call, maybe get someone whom knows what they're doing...thanks, I'll ask for the reusable legals. Are they cardboard or plastic? TIA

Reply by Lopez CA on 3/9/05 4:03pm
Msg #24592

Charm AL

Go to the website and order supplies from them. The envelopes are free, and you can look for what you want. Including those legal sized cardboard reusable envelopes.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/9/05 5:35pm
Msg #24605

Re: John..

You can order online from FedEx. They have all different sizes of envelopes . They have the expanded legal that I love--you don't have to force the documents in. They come in packages of 50. I also order the plastic sleaves and other supplies. They deliver it right to your house at no charge for supplies or delivery.

Reply by DellaCa on 3/9/05 2:21pm
Msg #24578

Re: Hmmmm...

I have all the supplies but I still have the question on the time to drop ,if they say early am and I can not find a drop until afternoon pick up. Will it cause a problem?

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/9/05 2:25pm
Msg #24579

Della...

I found that as long as I have my docs out by the last pick-up, which here is 7pm...they will still be delivered the next business day. Even if you dropped them at 8am, they wouldn't get anywhere same day

Reply by DellaCa - TY Charm n/m on 3/9/05 2:51pm
Msg #24583

Re: Della...

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/9/05 2:52pm
Msg #24584

So most of you have the packages picked up at your home? I'd feel bad doing that and then the recipient paying and xtra $4.00 - what is the opinion of everyone else here? I seriously didn't realize they charge extra for pick up. I have my own Fed Ex acct. but always bill the recipient.

Reply by DellaCa on 3/9/05 2:58pm
Msg #24585

Re: Drop box or pick up Another ???

Those that have them picked up at home do you have to be there or can you put them outside? Which does not seem safe.

Reply by tj_CA on 3/9/05 5:28pm
Msg #24604

I usually give them to the driver the next day when he drops off my next load of documents, unless it was a morning/early afternoon signing then I drop off at drop box. But if it was an evening signing, then I just hand off to the driver next morning -- I don't know if a charge would be warranted because he was there already to deliver.

Reply by fiKS on 3/9/05 11:34pm
Msg #24650

Whoever pays for the shipment, pays for the extra $4 for pick-up. If the TC or SS hasn't mentioned anything to you, then they either don't mind paying the extra or they simply haven't noticed the bill. You should not get charged if you simply hand the package to the driver while he's dropping something off to you, unless you called and specifically tell them that you will have something going out. As long as you drop off your package before the last pick-up, it will arrive the next day (no sooner). The reason why we are asked to drop off packages as early as possible is just so that when the driver picks up and scans the package, the recipient is able to track the package. But it doesn't arrive any sooner.

When you drop off a package at, let's say a Mailbox Etc., no information will be transmitted to FedEx until the driver scans a barcoded report printed out by Mailbox Etc. So, no one can trace the package until it is scanned by the driver, or if you drop off the package at a FedEx hub. I hope this explains why we are asked to drop off packages early in the a.m. If you drop off your package at a location that only has one pick up a day, let's say 5pm, there is no need to rush to drop off package at 9am.

I print out shipping labels online and use their email notification to notify interested parties the status of the shipment and I also get a notification once the package arrives its destination.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.