Notary Rotary
EIN number
Notary Discussion History

EIN number
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by jlynn on 3/13/05 2:31pm
Msg #25274

EIN number

Those of you have gotten an EIN number do you just apply for a small business (one the EIN application ?? Are your chances of getting audited higher if you have an EIN number ??

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/13/05 2:48pm
Msg #25276

you can get an EIN # as an individual, I did when I started to protect my SS #.

Reply by jlynn on 3/13/05 2:52pm
Msg #25277

Thank you. so not as a small business right ??

Reply by Lisa/WI on 3/13/05 3:42pm
Msg #25281

Your EIN and SS# are one in the same to the govt. If you are operating as a person doing business without an employer, the govt identifies you through your SS# or EIN. If you do not have any employees you are not required to obtain an EIN although it has its advantages. As far as an audit, it is triggered by red flags in your income not by being a sole proprieter. No matter if your using an EIN or SS# at the years end you will have to file a Schedule C to claim income and expenses. Individual or sole proprieter are one in the same also when you are self employeed so there is no harm in obtaining an EIN. Try this link. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1635.pdf.

Reply by jlynn on 3/13/05 4:08pm
Msg #25286

Thanks !! Helps alot.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.