Notary Rotary
FL Notaries - Hurricane Damage
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Victoria/FL on 3/8/05 3:48pm
Msg #24383

Has anyone completed a "Certification of property still standing" document as a Field Rep? This form is in a closing package, and when I iquestioned the SS about it, they said I should complete. It reads,

"I certify to the best of my knowledge, after physically viewing the above-mentioned property, that it is still standing, habitable and structurally unaffected by the recent hurricane conditions.

I certify to the best of my knowledge, after physically viewing the above-metioned property, that each house directly adjacent to the above-mentioned property is still standing, habitable and structurally unaffected by the recent hurricane conditions."

Since when am I qualified to certify the structural condition of a property???

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/8/05 4:11pm
Msg #24391

Simple answer: Don't do it, unless ...

... you have got the property inspector background / license.

Reply by Becca_FL on 3/8/05 4:20pm
Msg #24396

Yes I did many of these for NotaryPro Aug. - Oct. of 2004. Just be sure to sign as "Signing Agent" and NOT Notary. You are not Notarizing this document. You are, as a Signing Agent, certifying that the home is there and noting any VISABLE damage to it and the adjacent homes. The ones that I did had no mention of structual condition.

You are so right, Notaries and signing agents can't certify if a property is structually sound. GEEZE if the lender wants to know that, they should hire an inpector or an engineer.

I think I would call the SS and let them know you can complete the form, but must line through the structually sound part OR they can send you a better worded form for you to complete. The first one I received from NotaryPro had me signing as "Notary." I called and let them know I could not sign as Notary, but could as signing agent. NotaryPro corrected the doc and sent it to me.

Hope this helps.

Reply by Victoria/FL on 3/8/05 4:27pm
Msg #24398

Now it's "Field Rep"

I guess they (yes, it's NotaryPro) decided to update their form to indicate "Field Rep." Thanks for the info.

By the way, I would like to network with you. I'm on the West Coast - I think you're Treasure Coast? I grew up in St. Lucie County. Can I give you a call?

Reply by Becca/FL on 3/8/05 4:42pm
Msg #24402

Re: Now it's "Field Rep"

Call me anytime.

Just be firm with NotaryPro and let them know that you know what you can and can not do. If they won't make the change, tell'em to take their $50 and find some other schmuck that's willing to put their butt on the line. NOT in those exact words, but you get the idea.

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/8/05 4:57pm
Msg #24407

This little bit of info is probably bringing NotaryPro some extra money...just a guess...too bad none of it is passed along!

This sounds like the lenders are getting a "drive by" on top of a closing.

Reply by Becca/FL on 3/8/05 5:07pm
Msg #24410

Only in disaster areas.

I never got one in a loan pkg. After Charlie hit, I was asked to go do a drive by on a property that I closed about a week earlier. They only paid $35 bucks, but it took all of 10 minutes. After Francis and Jeanne I had a bunch to do. Most properties I did 2 or 3 times. It was nice to have something to do while the electric was out. Signings were pretty slim last fall.

Reply by David Waite on 3/8/05 8:05pm
Msg #24437

While I will not pretend to know what this form entails, I do know that Insurance agents have a similar form they must complete stating they saw the property and document any damage if present. This was basically to prevent insurance fraud, being in Real Estate I have seen these forms, I assume they vary from lender to lender, and depending how it is worded I "think" they are basically looking to verify that you did the signing at the residence that the mortgage is being taken out on, and that it is still standing. If it goes into alot of detail, that is out of your field of expertise, then you cannot attest to this, but you can attest to the fact that it is standing and no visual impairment is noted.

But being a new Notary, wouldnt this be above a normal signing package? if so it sounds like another service outside the scope of responsibilty, which should result in a seperate fee.

Does the NNA have a legal hotline like the NAR (National Association of Realtors?) does where these little things are answered by lawers who knows the laws?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/8/05 10:38pm
Msg #24461

The Citi group at NASCO did it right, in my book. They have hurricane affidavits the **owners** complete and sign, under oath. Then the notary can complete a jurat. All the burden of proof rests with the signers.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.