Notary Rotary
Fee
Notary Discussion History

Fee
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Bonnie Frederikson on 3/28/05 1:03pm
Msg #28023

Fee

I was soppose to do a signing on Saturday. Lenders sent the Loan docs on Thursday. Tried calling borrower all day Thursday and Friday. All 3 phone numbers lenders gave me were wrong. As a matter of fact, never went to borrowers home on Saturday. Bet I made 15 phone calls back and forth. Can I charge for this?

Reply by Art_MD on 3/28/05 1:07pm
Msg #28024

You could try, but you won't get paid. You didn't do anything towards a signing.
did you try and call ss/tc to get correct numbers?
did you try anywho.com and use address to find correct phone # ?

Often the loan applicaition has phone #s on it.

Art

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/28/05 1:09pm
Msg #28026

Anywho.com?? Is that like what I use netdetective.com ? nm

Reply by Anonymous on 3/28/05 1:12pm
Msg #28027

Re: Anywho.com?? Is that like what I use netdetective.com ? nm

Its pretty much the same except yours has more resources. I use the standard netdetective law enforcement version. It well worth the money.

Karl/SC

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/28/05 1:28pm
Msg #28031

Same here.... (Law Enforcement Standard Edition)...

I too use the law enforcement standard edition for all my background check information, address lookup via telephone/name, and sex offender registry information.

It is a handy tool.

=======
Korey

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/28/05 2:08pm
Msg #28038

I agree with Art. More times than not, my confirmations have the wrong numbers, or the work/home numbers reversed. I look at the loan app and then I try the phone book or check with online DEX. I would let the SS know. If I had the docs and a signingg fee confirmation, I would probably go ahead and show up at the Borrower(s) home, even if I hadn't gotten ahold of them. You would be more apt to get paid for this trip, even if the Borrowers were no show, than trying to get paid for your phone calls. JMO.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/28/05 1:08pm
Msg #28025

I'd charge!

My stipulations are as follows:

1) If you call me and arrange a meeting and you or the client cancels, without 24 hour notice, then I will charge you half of the agreed upon fee.

2) If I am in route to the location and the signing get's canceled, I charge the full agreed upon fee.

3) If you send me docs and screw up. You'll compensate me as I see reasonable.

This may sound wrong to some other notaries but the companies have never given me a problem with it. I'm running a business and know that time is money.

Hope this helped.

=======
Korey

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/28/05 3:05pm
Msg #28052

If you had 3 wrong phone numbers why did you make 15 calls? Exactly how many times do you need to be told it's the wrong number?

Don't be a nickel and dime type of signing agent. The few bucks you might be able able to squeeze out of signing services and title companies will be more than offset by the loss of business due to you being labeled as difficult to work with.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/28/05 3:48pm
Msg #28060

The general rules are ....

... If you can't reach the borrower because of wrong phone number(s), try to find the right phone number. If you can't find a phone number, call your contact at the signing service (listed on your confirmation). If you can't reach your signing service, try the lender. Then try everywhere else you can find.

If you haven't been able to reach the borrower for whatever reason, go to the assigned place at the assigned time. Wait at least 30 minutes, preferably trying to reach people (borrower, signing service) after 15 minutes of waiting.

Personally, I have had at least one case where some of the phone numbers I had were bogus, and the borrower had no answering machine. I showed up at the borrower's house at the specified time and the signing took place.

You cannot expect any fee if you did not go to the borrower's location at the specified time. Period.

Reply by Nd_WA on 3/28/05 11:56pm
Msg #28145

Maybe...

the borrower is out of town and didn't know the loan was ready to close. I had it happened once where the borrower is an executive for a company. After two days of leaving mumerous messages, the borrower called my phone at 3:00AM on the third day and said she was in India on a project and won't be back for another week.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.