Notary Rotary
For the Newbies....Just some advice.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous Oldie on 3/22/05 7:04pm
Msg #27099

I know you're tired of getting verbally abused on these boards. But I have to give you some friendly advice. I'm on your side. REALLY! Take it from someone who has been in this business ten years: You have to get realistic if you are going to get anywhere in this business.

1. Don't believe everything you read here. A lot of notaries have inflated opinions of themselves and what they are worth. When you read here or on other boards, that Jane X is charging 150 or more, she is either a) exaggerating b) VERY EXPERIENCED c) well connected or d) both b and c.

2. Forget everything (well, almost) that you learned in the NNA course. You will NOT get rich quick and in fact, if you're looking to get rich, the signing business ain't it. But you can make a decent living and if you live humbly, take some pretty nifty vacations.

3. If you do any signings in your first few months, count your lucky stars! Be prepared to WAIT for any sort of cash flow. Most companies, particularly signing companies, pay on a 30-60 day term. That means you will be waiting for a long time for any money to show up. It is ridiculous to expect payment within two weeks. My clients pay me at the close of escrow. But I've also been in business for ten years and can run circles around most signing agents in my area. (I also don't roll out of bed for less than $150.00) I also don't work for signing companies, and most of my business is escrow or lender direct.

4. If you value your reputation in this business, don't say anything on these boards that you will regret later. Me? I even use a proxy server to hide my IP. I rarely post on these boards, but when I do, it's to help someone out, like you, who really DOES want to work hard.

5. Not everyone is altruistic like you. Some people in this business are actually really crummy people with no moral values whatsoever. And if you get in their way, or in any way threaten their ego, they will make mincemeat out of you and your reputation if they can find out where you live and work. Same goes for notaries in your area that want to "network" with you. BEWARE, Caveat Emptor, and all that.

6. Don't "make friends" with people on these boards, if you can help it. Stick to your friends "in real life". The people here, are out to make as much money as they can, as fast as they can, and they will not hesitate to step on other people to do it. They will insult you, turn on you and tell lies about you to other people, in order to make themselves look and feel better. This goes with number 5! ;)

7. If you pray, pray hard, for your business to grow, and then WORK AT IT. It has taken me ten years of solid hard work, sweat, tears, and blood to grow my business. And remember:

Money isn't everything. If I had some things to do over again, there are many signings I would not have taken, simply because I ended up driving all over hell and gone, when I should have been home with my family. My children still love me, THANK GOD, but none of them are better people just because I was self employed.

Don't take this post personally. I see that most of you are really trying hard, and you're getting insulted by idiots who want you to think this is rocket science and that they have "paid their dues"....puh-leeze...most of the names on this board, and the others (gomobilenotary, et al) are people I have been watching for the last five years...some of them are cool. Most are rude, insensitive and downright nasty people in real life. I know because I've met some of them. And they know who they are. And the other oldies know who I'm talking about too. And I've seen their ilk come and go. Anyone remember a certain person with the last name of Wilson in California? Or Jamie Jessup, the "preacher" in Florida-turned-Signing Agent-who used people's personal information to slander them and harrass and cyber-stalk them?

Many sa's are now scrambling to save their businesses. Most of them will fold in the next year, if the market is continually flooded with new people. Those who will be left standing, are those who have been in the business a long time, or those who are just flat determined. Some of the "experts" (the "names" on these boards) are a flash in the pan...they've had their pitiful fifteen minutes of fame, and no one will care who they are/were in the notary business ten years from now. This includes all the ones who have put their names out there on privately published "signing agent" journals ( roll eyes) and CD's promising to teach you "everything you need to know" about this business, and little "registry" sites (this one is an exception....I LOVE NOTARYROTARY...I have gotten a lot of signings through this site.) . Most of this crap is a waste of money and time.

To get started in the notary business of loan signing, you absolutely must have the following:

Notary Commission and know/understand/and abide by, your state notary laws
Notary stamp and journal if required, and EVEN IF IT'S NOT.
Pens in the right color
A briefcase to put your stuff in
Computer
LASER PRINTER (HP PREFERRED with a PCL driver of 5 or higher...never mind, too complicated to explain but YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS)
Phone at home with a fax machine attached to it
Cell phone.

This is all you really need to start. The rest is HARD WORK.

Now get out there, and get yourself some signings...that's the best training in the world. And all the blabbing on these boards doesn't earn anyone any money. That's why I am so rarely here.

;)

Reply by Saboricua_CA on 3/22/05 7:51pm
Msg #27106

Hey Anonymous Oldie,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for speaking the truth. I am just starting out and everything you said is exactly what I was told by my notary mentor. So far I have been able to stay out of trouble and hope that more well intended oldies will post to help us all. No reason to keep the competition down. There is plenty of work out there and if you work hard, do a good job and keep your reputation clean the work will come to you. 'nuf said. :o)

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 3/22/05 8:05pm
Msg #27108

Anonymous Oldie, You forgot ...

You forgot three of the most important things you must have to start and survive in this business

Patience
Persistence
and a Smile Smiley

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/22/05 8:50pm
Msg #27115

Excellent Advice!! All NEWBIE'S MUST READ!! n/m

Reply by Reggie on 3/22/05 11:34pm
Msg #27158

This is the absolute best post I've seen on this board. I really appriciate the advice I just hope I can put it too good use. I've already started to network with some Notaries in my area and I hope I can trust the ones I've already met through this site.

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/23/05 12:15am
Msg #27164

Beautiful! (nm) and none needed. You said it all!

Reply by tomparson_IA on 3/23/05 12:23am
Msg #27165

As a fellow Old Guy with Closing Experience, I can't believe the the advice that you gave under an anonymous name. I'm thinking that this may be on of the best posts I have ever seen on this board (or any other)--although I thoroughly appreciate and enjoy Brenda, Carolyn, Hugh, Paul (both PAW and Chicago), Dennis (Go Cubs), Mike/NYC and even occasionally Korey. In the future any posts that you have, I hope that you use something more telling than "Anonymous Oldbie", because someone that states his thoughts this profoundly and honestly deserves a better acknowledgement than "Anonymous Oldbie" (what do you think Dennis) and I feel you have been be a tremendous asset to my business and to all of the Newbies (sorry Hugh) out there. Thank you very much for your superb advice and post and I hope to hear from you again.
Thank You!!!

Reply by donnapa on 3/23/05 8:04am
Msg #27187

I have just been on this site the last couple of days and thought the same things, working for myself over 2 years now. I have been doing wonderful................I feel a ton of negative egos on this board. I hope I never meet them yikes!!!!!!!!! A smile is the key & when companies call b/c of others mistakes knowing you always get the job done is the step up. I thought it was well said. I always said this business wasn't for the weak hearted. I feel the same about the family thing too. I don't have the time to be on this site b/c I am busy.............hope everyone is too. I will take this advice & run...........thanks

Reply by ColleenCA on 3/23/05 8:17am
Msg #27190

Re: For the Newbies....Just some advice. Right-on!

This is the best message that I have ever read on this board. I will remember it, especially when I am feeling discouraged. Thank you to whomever wrote it.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 3/23/05 8:47am
Msg #27192

Since You Asked...

...Go Cardinals! To answer your question about what I think...I have mixed emotions & thoughts. On the one hand what "Anonymous Oldbie" had to say is obviously steeped in experience & there's nothing I take exception to. On the other hand his sage advice would carry a lot more weight with me if his words had a name, a REAL name, behind it. I've heard every rationale imagineable...from multiple sources...on various message boards...about why certain posters won't reveal themselves. I haven't heard an explanation yet which'll hold water with me. Just my humble opinion.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/23/05 9:23am
Msg #27196

Hear, Hear!!!
My goodness was that refreshing! I am a newbie. I loved what you wrote. I am printing what you wrote and I am re-reading what you wrote each time I start to feel down because I think (or people try to convince me) that I may never get to successfully work for myself!

Thank you!
Mysti

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.