Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Getting your foot in the door (it's not what you think)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Slarty_FL on 3/3/05 9:06pm
Msg #23538

I'm gathering from reading posts that a lot of folks on the boards have some experience in the realty/lending/title business outside of their notary experience. The deeper I get into the signing biz, the more interested I become in the other aspects of the biz. Can anyone suggest how one would go about getting their feet wet in the title biz or with a lender?

Also, I saw a good post a few days ago wherein someone suggested picking up some books that explain the various instruments we regularly see. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some actual titles?

Thanks in advance!

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/3/05 9:16pm
Msg #23542

Would the person who responds with book titles, etc., please post rather than reply privately? IMHO, it would help a lot of us to get the info for which the esteemed Slarty_FL asked.

TIA!

Reply by Sherri_IN on 3/4/05 8:13am
Msg #23586

There are some great training resources available from ALTA (American Land Title Association). If you go to their web www.alta.org and under resources you will find various material available. They are a little pricey but if you are serious about learning what Title or Escrow does then they are worth it.

Reply by Kimberly Crowe on 3/4/05 10:55am
Msg #23601

You could always take a job with a title company. Hands on training is the best way to learn.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/4/05 12:53pm
Msg #23629

Would love to. Unfortunately, all the openings in the area are calling for 3-5 years experience. :(

Reply by Dave Heine on 3/5/05 7:50am
Msg #23749

You would more than likely have to start out as a processor and work your way into closings. A good closing officer needs the experience as you have to be able to read title commitments and understand HOW to clear a cloud on the title. Also, you have to be able to deal with all the things called for within the requirements of the title commitment. You have to understand Trusts, POA's and a whole host of other things.

That is in addition to understanding lenders closing instructions, all the other title work the lenders require and how to properly prepare closing statements, disbursements etc. Also it helps if you are a licensed title agent if you do not have 3-5 years experience.

While you perform some of the functions as a closer when you do signings, you are not doing the entire job. So many people think I am a closer and all a closer does is get docs signed, in FL at least, we are also the funder and everything else in between.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/4/05 12:54pm
Msg #23630

Thanks for the tip! n/m

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/4/05 3:14pm
Msg #23665

Some of My Reference Sources

Some of my good reference books : Used real estate course text books, but it needs to be from your own state.

Texas Consitution - (1) why Texas Notaries cannot do Helocs at home (2) Reverse Mortgage Criteria
(3) Home Equity Loans in General

Sometimes, just for grins, I read the Texas Government Code (notary) and Texas Property Code (real estate and mortgage)

Other times I search all Texas Codes and the Rules of Civil Procedure for the word "notary" just to see what it says.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.