Notary Rotary
Good night, sleep tight
Notary Discussion History

Good night, sleep tight
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Melody on 3/25/05 6:58pm
Msg #27703

Good night, sleep tight

My last signing for today just cancelled.

I was so happy to get that call I almost cried.

What a week! I am fried. My home looks like a frat house. I don't even care.

Good night all!

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/25/05 9:30pm
Msg #27739

I know the feeling, Mel.

I know the feeling, Mel.

My 5 pm was cancelled and I nearly did a happy dance, too. Not saying that I don't need all the business I can get, but it was wonderful to be able to get home early. I worked for two days at a title company...my first experience.

My first title company closing scared me!

There was a lull before the storm in the and I was making copies for five
packages going to Hawaii when one of the escrow officers walked in and
said "They are here." (I am thinking "Who??") I walked into the
conference room and there were five at the table--Sellers/Purchasers/Lender...and, a set of documents six inches tall. (I have only done one purchase and it was a little mobile home stack.)

I got 12 seconds to review each HUD and we got started. Since the
lender had prepared them well, an hour later, they were out of there.

Next closing...I walked in and there was a $325,000 loan, lender, and
two borrowers. I looked at the HUD, turned it around and started
going down the list. All h**l broke loose. There was a problem on
the legal. (I knew before, but now I have *lived* through why Paul says that the
legal should always be attached to the docs ahead of time.

The lender wanted to encumber the entire parcel of land and the borrowers had not
agreed to that. The HUD reflected 4 acre parcel/should have been 2
acres only.) It was a bad moment in the closing room. Wife got up
and said "I don't have time for this...you should have worked this
out, I am going to work." (to lender) and ...the deal fell through.

BTW, I closed about 8 others and all but one had a lender in the room
with me.

I closed most of the loans while the escrow officers generated documents.
At the end of the day, one of the escrow officers and I were cleaning
up the table from the last closing. I mentioned that the date was the
24th...she said "NO! It's the 23rd." Lender and I looked at each
other. The only loan she closed that day was incorrectly dated the
23rd throughout when in fact it was the 24th. After she recovered
from the shock, I said "I am so glad it was you and not me." She said
"Yes! It's awful, but you know that if it had been you, we'd have
never called you again...ever, ever...ever! But since it was *me* I
will say "It was late and I was just soooo tired."

It was quite an experience. I learned volumes about the business and feel like I earned an NSA stripe or two. But I am so ready for relaxing!

Tomorrow we are going to load up the dogs and retreat to a real live Longhorn ranch for Easter.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/25/05 10:58pm
Msg #27748

Re: Is it the first of the month yet?

I've had back-to-back signings all week and four for tomorrow. Just getting home, I realize that for my 10:00 signing for the morning, I have not received the docs FedEx, nor have I received the FedEx e-mail confirmation giving me the tracking numbers. Of course, the SS message states the office hours are M-F from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.--no mention of Saturday. At any rate I e-mailed and left a long voice message. I will wait until morning to call the Borrowers to see if possibly they have the docs, although I doubt it since I gave them my phone number when I first contacted them about the signing and they have not called me.

I had the neatest little lady today for a reverse mortgage. She's going to go to Las Vegas and buy a new car with her *new* money. She was the greatest. I was just finishing up with her when I get a call asking if I could do a signing in 45 minutes. I said there was no way. It was going to take me at least 45 minutes to get home, plus I was going to have to print/copy all the docs, plus we are having a ice storm in town and snow in the mountains. The roads are like ice rinks. They told me to just get there when I got there and for me to call Borrowers when I was leaving the house. I arrive at their house and this man appears in his robe, and to be honest, I don't know if he had much on under the robe and the wife comes out with this short little nightgown number and without a robe. He begins telling me that he has lost more money than most people will ever make in their life. He had to read all the docs word-for-word, which I didn't even really care because it was giving me a chance to unwind myself, although I would have rather been at home. We get the signing completed and I'm reviewing everything. The husband gets up from the table and leaves. This house is 8,500 sq. feet. Pretty soon the wife gets up and leaves. Ten minutes later I'm still sitting there by myself. No one has come back. I don't know if I'm supposed to show myself out, if I'm supposed to wait for them, or what exactly I'm supposed to do. After another five minutes or so, the wife returns and says "oh, you're still here."

I'm going to bed so I can start all over tomorrow for my first signing at 7:00 a.m. Is it the first of the month yet?

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/26/05 1:33am
Msg #27761

Re: I had 4 back to back for the first time!

OMG, started at 4:30 and returned home at 11:30. I am wiped!

Unfortunately, while I was checking them, I found that on one, the non-borrower didn't sign one form so I have to go back.

On another, lender's seperate email gave instructions about a particular form which should have been signed even though there was no name or line for signature (loan app disclosure form or something). I didn't catch it because somehow the title was left off that form when they sent it via pdf!

On the third, I didn't have the complete pkg when I printed the docs. Then, with the back-to-back signings, forgot it when I went to borrower's home. So, I had to reschedule for tomorrow!

I HATE being new!!!! Thank goodness it was over the weekend whereby I have some time to solve these errors!

Happy Easter, everyone!
Mysti

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/26/05 2:06am
Msg #27767

"I HATE being new!"

After four, you are getting there, gf. My favorite part: Do a job, do it well, get a check...get another job, do it well, get a check...instant gratification.

I love this job. But once I get into the EOM "high" it's really hard to unwind. I can't sleep for worrying about did I do it all right??? I am in my second year, Mysti, and I still have the post-EOM jitters. This job is addictive. Watch out!

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/28/05 10:39pm
Msg #28135

Yeah, but I sure don't mind the cool down part either! That was ruff! Only one today. Back to normal!!! LOL

Mysti

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/26/05 1:45am
Msg #27764

Re: I know the feeling, Mel.

My last 2 closings for today got rescheduled for tomorrow. Best feeling in the world.

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/26/05 11:22am
Msg #27780

Re: Don't think anyone had the experience I did

Hi All,

Got a call late morning yesterday for a refinance signing in the early evening, e-docs as you can imagine. Guy said he would send out the conf. and the e-docs. Arrive back above 4:30 p.m. (after another signing) and nada, no confirmation, no -e-docs. But they finally do arrive. Seems he had the wrong email address.

So call the borrower's number. End up talking to the borrower's daughter. It seems that the borrower has gone to the hospital with chest pains. Daughter doesn't know if she will be there overnight or what. Trying to be accomodating I volunteer to go to the hospital today and do the signing there if necessary.

Late this morning I got a call from the loan officer. It seems that the borrower has had a heart attack!! And that she may have to have bypass surgery!! My goodness, it never ever occurred to me that this woman might had had a heart attack. Loan officer said nothing like this had ever happened to him before. I could understand. So as you can imagine everything is on hold.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/26/05 11:59am
Msg #27786

Re: Don't think anyone had the experience I did

I understand. Having had previous heart attacks and by-pass surgery, I certainly can sympathize with the borrower and family.

Year before last, I had an "episode" that put me in the hospital. I had three signings scheduled so I made arrangements to have someone pick up the docs on two of them and do the signings for me. (Title/SS made the arrangements.) The third one was interesting. The borrowers came to me... in the hospital!! I had my wife bring my case and their docs and we did their signing in my hospital room. They even brought me flowers and a "get well" card. Wonderful couple.

Reply by Ted-MI on 3/26/05 2:50pm
Msg #27806

Re: Paul, guess you had the "flip side" of my experience n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.