Notary Rotary
Great Lakes Notary....
Notary Discussion History

Great Lakes Notary....
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Loretta Reed on 3/25/05 9:41am
Msg #27625

Great Lakes Notary....

Got a call this morning from Sherry at Great Lakes Notary....They wanted me to do a signing this evening at 6pm. I told her that I was booked from 3pm to 9 pm tonight. She said that the borrower was not working today and that I could call him about coming early this afternoon. She said that the closing would be fast, the borrower knew what he was signing and he is a few miles from my home. She had the docs already and I could print them out no problem. "It is a first and second, how about $120" she said..............YEAH RIGHT!!!
I said a first and second, email docs, $150. She offered $130 and I told her that I am not debating with her about it and hung up.
I have at least 15 title companies that pay me $125 for email docs plus $75 for a second mortgage. There is no way I'm doing it for less than $150, I was cutting her a break. I rarely contact companies to do work for any more, I don't have to take signing services scraps. Let the other LTP's in my area do it, I know a couple that will even back date if they can't do the signing today.

Reply by Traci/ MD on 3/25/05 1:52pm
Msg #27656

Hey, Loretta The phone's have been busy today. I now know why so many companies ask if I will back date. Shame on the LTP's who back date. Have a good night!

Reply by JENIFER MEINER on 3/25/05 2:28pm
Msg #27659

Are they the company who charges to be in their database?

Reply by caroleMI on 3/25/05 2:53pm
Msg #27664

They're the ones.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 3/25/05 3:49pm
Msg #27674

Re: Great Lakes Notary....Follow up

Boy, I must have peed in their cornflakes this morning. I got a call from them, asking me to do the signing for the price that I had requested and I told her I could not because I had already picked up another closing for tonight. After I said I couln't do it (she saved the best for last).
She said that she did not appreciate my post and that they pay their notaries well. She also said that some title companies have lowered their pay to Great Lakes Notary and they had to lower the pay to their notaries, but that they still paid more than alot of signing companies. I told her that I did not believe that. I know what title companies pay me. $150 email docs for a first and second mortgage, to me, was not asking alot.
Then I asked if it were true that they charged $49 to be in their system.

She hung up on me.

I know that there are companies that pay more and I do praise them for that but don't be mad at me because I would not do a 170+ email docs, 2 mortgages, for $130 and then when you cannot find someone to do it, you call me back and offer me my fee and when I turn you down, you then jump on me for posting my opinion.

Reply by MI_Notary on 3/25/05 8:49pm
Msg #27721

Loretta,

Obviously they read the board. Therefore, they should know and understand the complaints notaries have on being paid so low. Way to stick to your guns on the rate you were willing to do the signing for. If more notaries were willing to do this, the title companies and signing companies would not be dropping their prices so low and they wouldn't be asking us to work for peanuts.

Reply by sue on 3/26/05 7:11am
Msg #27771

...and then when you cannot find someone to do it, you call me back and offer me my fee ..

I've recently had 2 companies tell me they couldn't pay my fee without contacting 3 other notaries first. I told them both I was quite certain if they called me back that I would have had a fee increase in the meantime. To those who are new and building your business, you can't/'shouldn't do this. To those of us who still turn away more orders than we accept because we have been at this for a long time and can and do charge top dollar, it feels so good not to have to play these games any longer.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.