Notary Rotary
Gripe Continued - Calling Borrowers - Leaving Messages
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul/MD on 3/3/05 12:27pm
Msg #23444

I wrote this in response to the below thread.....

Although it is unclear that 'we' as Notary Closers fall under FDCPA Regulations.... it has been brought up and is being studied by lawmakers.

The FDCPA prohibits lender's or those working for lenders to discuss or even mention the word "loan" when you are speaking to anyone other than the borrower. FDCPA specifically mentions that you may NOT leave messages on an answering machine saying "this is regarding your loan, your account, closing" etc... you may leave your name and number for the borrower to return your call... that is it.

This is to maintain privacy and so no information may be mistakingly given to anyone else, including another family member.

The law was put into effect for unfair collection practices, however, now has been adopted and added to the Fair Credit Act which regulates Lenders as well as their Collections Departmet and any assignees.

Reply by ItsMe123 on 3/3/05 12:48pm
Msg #23448

I agree--this works for me

Hello this is (insert name). I am a notary public. I am calling to confirm an (insert date and time) appointment at your home that is scheduled with (insert borrower's name and any other person that will be signing any other document) Please feel free to call me at (insert my phone) regarding any questions you may have specifically regarding the scheduling of this appointment. Please also extend a courtesy call to me if for any reason you need to cancel our appointment. If I am not avaliable for your call, a message is sufficient. Once again my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thank you and have a great day.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 3/3/05 12:57pm
Msg #23450

Re: I agree--this works for me

Whenever I accept an assignment, I ask for a cell phone. I work in an office enviroment and I know how people are always in your business. Luckily, I have had luck with the cell phone and I have not had to use the work telephone number.

As a person who does do collections, you messages need to be real discreet. Just leave your name and telephone number and if a receptionist pick up, try just stating that this is a follow up call with Mr/Mrs such and such. That way your are not giving up too much info to a third party. The receptionist will more than likely think that this is work related and should not question you too much.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/3/05 1:16pm
Msg #23454

It really wasn't that receptionists business why they were calling the borrower, especially if you told them it was a personal matter. That should have been enough said.

Reply by Paul/MD on 3/3/05 1:23pm
Msg #23456

Receptionist

Mary,

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.... there are curious people out there and they want to know. Some employers ask calls to be screened to make sure employees aren't receiving too many personal calls.... some employees are dodging collection calls etc... we just need to be careful not to let the cat out of the bag to preserve privacy.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/3/05 9:27pm
Msg #23546

Re: Nosey is the word ...

**there are curious people out there and they want to know. **

Many times, the receptionist doesn't even pass the info on once she connects the caller.

I once worked at an office where the receptionist screened EVERYONE, although she was told it was unnecessary -- but she did anyway. She would ask their name, but she wouldn't prod as to what the call was about, and she did pass the caller's name on when she connected you. My husband is one person who hates to be screened, and a "good" receptionist learns the frequent caller's voices -- but not this receptionist. She actually thought I knew people in high places -- Once he told her he was the Pope, and she believed him. I can't even remember other names he gave her. There was also a paging system in the building and one day I was in the restroom when I heard her paging me over and over and over throughout the building. For everyone who has watched the American Grafitti series of movies, you can imagine the name she kept repeating over and over in her page. When I came out and was trying to get her to shut up, everyone was rolling on the floor, but it continued going right over her head, the same as in the movie.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/3/05 1:07pm
Msg #23452

My "HOME answering machine" script goes something like this:

Hello. My name is Paul Williamson from PAW Notary Services and am calling to confirm your appointment. Please, at your earliest convenience, call me at <phone number> to confirm the date and time of the appointment and few other pieces of information. Thank you and have a great day.

Reply by Paul/MD on 3/3/05 1:20pm
Msg #23455

My script is just like Paw's..... if I get an Answering Machine.... I just leave my name and number and say that I'm calling to confirm an appointment for "X"..... 99.9% of the borrower's already know what, how, when & where.... I just call to confirm.

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/4/05 9:00pm
Msg #23718

That is my same message almost verbatim.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 3/4/05 8:39am
Msg #23590

If this is the case for Lenders, then GREENTREE needs to be investicated. I did a signing for a couple that were getting away from GREENTREE, Harrased them day & night, left messages talking about their loan for anyone to hear, were rude, actually cussed over the phone and called the borrowers, lazy no good for nothings and then asked if you cant pay the mortgage, why did you get the loan. I know this to be fact because the couple are good friends of mine and I have actually heard some of the messages GREENTREE has left them.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.