Notary Rotary
ID for newly married person
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Becky/NC on 3/20/05 8:16pm
Msg #26568

I have a signing tomorrow evening that may cause some problems. This is a couple who evidently purchased their home before they were married. The names on my confirmation read "Mary Smith and John Jones". When I spoke with Mary, she identified herself as Mary Jones. I asked how her id read and she has changed her DL to Mary Jones. The docs are going to the borrower, so I cannot be sure how her name reads, but I'm guessing because it's her maiden name on my confirmation, it will be her maiden name on the docs. She did tell me that her SS card is still in her maiden name. How have all of you handled this situation? My state handbook doesn't address this issue. Just wanted some input before I start making phone calls to the SOS and title company/SS. TIA

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 3/20/05 10:03pm
Msg #26572

Call the signing service or whoever hired you and ask if you can add "nka Mary Jones" to the doc's. She could then sign as "Mary Smith nka Mary Jones". Depending on your own state laws, this should then allow you to notarize her as "Mary Jones".

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/20/05 10:10pm
Msg #26573

There's a written law in Massachsetts (my state) that reads that a married woman's name may be acknowledged in the same manner as if she were not married. We're allowed to use maiden names, or married names.

Double check your state's laws and make sure nothing similar exists.

Have a good day!

========
Korey

Reply by John_NorCal on 3/20/05 10:10pm
Msg #26574

Would it be possible for you to use credible witnesses, assuming you can't use "nka"? Depending on your state laws, credible witnesses can swear to the identity of a signer. Just a thought.. Of course if the "nka" would be the easiest.
Good luck.

Reply by jj/ca on 3/21/05 12:21am
Msg #26583

In CA a signature afidavid is usually included with the docs showing the differenct name variations the signers use or has been reported. It also has a line for her to sign an aka name statement.

Reply by Donna on 3/21/05 1:43am
Msg #26588

what about her existing I>D> and a marriage license?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/21/05 12:15pm
Msg #26659

Existing ID and marriage license ...

... alone wouldn't work for me in CT. I'd still want a name affidavit.

Try searching for "marriage license" on this forum for differing points of view!

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/21/05 5:59am
Msg #26591

There is a good possibility they may have a new deed in the package as well changing the ownership from Mary Smith and John Jones to Mary Jones and John Jones. I work for an attorney and we generally do that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.