Notary Rotary
I can See! Without my glasses!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by BK/FL on 3/12/05 9:19am
Msg #25102

This post has nothing to do with being a signing agent other than my Lasik was great and I can continue to do this line of work!

I had the Lasik eye procedure done on Thursday and the results are outstanding! I am very pleased so far with the results and for those of you out there considering it...there is no pain involved, I recommend it.

I think besides my decission to get involved in being a great signing agent this is one of the best decisions I have made! I just wish I had done it years prior. Happy Future Signing Everyone! BK/FL

Reply by Joan-OH on 3/12/05 10:10am
Msg #25108

I had vision correction (RK) done in 1993 and it is the one thing I've done in my life that improved it immeasurably. I would do it again (if I had to) in a heartbeat! I would encourage anyone to look at going this route. Back when I did it, it was $2500. My sister had lasik done last year for $1100. I hear now it is even cheaper. I just paid for a year of contacts for my daughter @ about $400. No wonder eye doctors hate this surgery.

My sister runs an eye surgeons office. She said that corrective surgery has not show to be as stable for those in their 20's vs those of us 30+ years......in my case, WAY over 30 :-) I won't even discuss the option with my 20 year old. Her script is getting worse every year and until her eyesight stabilizes, it would make no sense to have corrective surgery.

Barbara - isn't it just wonderful to be seeing the world! You will be glad you did this for the rest of your life!

Joan-OH

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/12/05 12:05pm
Msg #25125

I didn't have Lasik but I had Laser PRK. It is safer but takes longer to heal because they actually remove the epithilium (?) and scrape the cornea to reshape it. They do one eye at a time and you end up with monovision - which was fine with me because when I wore contacts it was monovision. Had my "far eye" done last June and it is great! Had the "close eye" done 3 weeks ago and it is progressing well. I hated wearing glasses! This is good.

Reply by mysky_TX on 3/12/05 12:24pm
Msg #25129

Congratulations! Smiley I hope to be able to get this done within a year and am always glad to hear/read positive outcomes (in fact, I don't believe I've ever heard anything negative...). I CAN'T WAIT! Thanks for another vote of confidence for the surgery. What's it like to actually be able to see the soap in the shower???!! ~Sheree

Reply by christi socal on 3/12/05 6:18pm
Msg #25172

did anyone who had this surgery

did anyone who had this surgery have to not wear contacs for awhile before having it? I heard from 1 person that you have to wear glasses for 6 months before to let your eyes rest or something. I want the surgery but I dread wearing my cokebottles for that long! also that monovision surgery- I wear contacs with one far eye and one close eye, is that the surgery you have to have for that? Thanks myske and others, this is something I have been thinking about ALOT!!!

Reply by an on 3/12/05 6:44pm
Msg #25175

Re: did anyone who had this surgery

check with your state, or maybe the NNA or maybe your journal will post it.

Reply by Victoria/FL on 3/12/05 9:05pm
Msg #25191

I have had it done and know many others who have, too. I only had to wear my glasses for 30 days. And believe me, I dreaded wearing them, but it was worth it. I now have 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. So far everyone I know has never had to have an update. One person had the "old" rk with scapel 10 years ago and my husband had LASIK over 7 years. No problems whatsoever. Good luck!

I guess this is the time I now say, "I am not a doctor and am not qualified to give medical advise!" This is my personal experience only! Smiley

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/12/05 9:25pm
Msg #25195

My personal experience...I think it was the best $2000 I ever spent in my life. 20/20 in both eyes now. Had to wear glasses for four weeks before the surgery. Could see perfectly as soon as the surgery was finished (10 minutes for both eyes combined). I can't say enough good things about it.

If you decide to have it done, I wish you good luck.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/12/05 10:24pm
Msg #25208

The best advice is to see a professional optomologist to see what type of eye surgery is best for you. Each person is different. I initially went in to inquire about and be examined for the new radio wave surgery. However, because of my age (60) and a slight astigmatism the recommendation was for PRK. I also researched alot on the web before I went in so I could be knowledgeable about the different types of surgery available. I must admit I was very nervous at first (afterall, it's my eyes!), but ultimately I am thrilled with the results. Night driving glare is a bit of a problem but I can handle it for short distances (like 15-20 miles at a time)

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/12/05 11:09pm
Msg #25215

Good advice Barbara. I hate to be the wet blanket, but my husband had it done about 8 years ago. As you say, it's your eyes, so he decided to have only one eye done initially, so in case something did happen, he would still have sight in the other, and also, it was $2,000 for each eye, at that time. The doctor was one of the originating doctors who developed the process so he had the knowledge and experience. He had performed the surgery on thousands. However, for whatever reason, he overcompensated the surgery, i.e., my husband went from not being able to see distances to not being able to read closeup -- but he could see for miles after the surgery. After about six months, he had to go back to reverse the process somewhat in that eye, so he could read and do closeup work that he had never had a problem with before the initial surgery. He's never gone back for the other eye, and he tells people who ask him today about the surgery, that he doesn't know if he would make the decision to have it done today. He has to read a lot of schematic drawings -- he never had a problem reading them before the surgery, but now has to read them outside in the daylight.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/12/05 11:55pm
Msg #25223

Was it the PRK type surgery he had? The result of PRK surgery is mono-vision where one eye (usually the dominant eye) is modified for distance, and the other eye is modified for reading? My opthomologist called in 2 more opthomologists to look at my chart because he'd never seen anyone with the result I had from PRK. It took 7 months for my "distance eye" to settle but i was not happy with result for distance. He went in and did a touch up and now it is wonderful! The clincher is that not only can I see far, but I can read with it in a good light (doesn't usually happen). 3 weeks ago I had my other eye done for close up and I can read really well with it, but it is still adjusting (distance vision is a blur in that eye - but then it's not suppose to be for distance). In PRK they 'over compensate' on purpose because the eye will (should) level out to where they want it to be.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/13/05 11:27am
Msg #25255

No it wasn't PRK. He was intending to have both eyes done, just not at the same time, so the mono-vision thing, although he explained it, was not what either the surgeon or my husband were aiming for. The surgeon admits that he unintentionally overcorrected, so the second surgery was free, although now my husband has a lot of scar tissue in that eye, and no one is sure what will happen as years go by. My husband admits that he lost more than he gained by having the surgery, and his case might have just been a one in a million chance of something going wrong -- but anyone can be that one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.