I need your help quick please
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 3/22/05 5:06pm
Msg #27044

On the__________day of_________,in the year 20__before me
personally came_______to me known to be the individual described in and who executed
the foregoing instrument and acknoledgement that___________<<<<executed the same.

What goes in the left of the arrow? Please help I have this app. at 8.pm

Reply by Susie/CA on 3/22/05 5:13pm
Msg #27045

they, he or she . .

Reply by Anonymous on 3/22/05 5:18pm
Msg #27047

Thank you SUsie!!

Reply by Jon on 3/22/05 7:51pm
Msg #27107

If you are in Ca, Susie's answer is wrong!!

Reply by ANON- on 3/22/05 8:31pm
Msg #27114

Re: I need your help quick please-JON

Hey, know-it-all, If you know the right answer why didn't you post it? Too afraid of competition, I'd guess. Really ticks me off.

Reply by Jon on 3/22/05 10:32pm
Msg #27141

They never mentioned which state they were in. If they are not in Ca, then Susie's answer may well be correct. Why would it tick you off???? If they are in Ca, the correct answer is in the handbook, and was probably on the test they had to pass to become a notary.

BTW, can someone please instruct me on how to use a spoon for eating soup????

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/22/05 10:45pm
Msg #27145

Competition? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. You seriously think we're afraid of competing with somebody who doesn't even know how to do THE most basic notarial function? Yeah, I'm trembling alright.

That's kind of like saying Maria Callas is afraid of competition from Britney Spears. (and yes, I know she's dead).

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/23/05 11:59am
Msg #27223

Re: Competition

*Too afraid of competition, I'd guess. Really ticks me off.*

Um, let's see. -- Someone who posts their name/state or someone hiding behind an anonymous handle -- which one is more afraid of competition?

Reply by Susie/CA on 3/23/05 12:00pm
Msg #27224

Magic word . . . "if . . " . Why would you assume this person is in CA? His/her question was what goes in the blanks "not" is this correct form for CA and if so what goes in the blanks . . ? Therefore the answer in general was correct, however, of course he/she must go by their states statutes. . . definitely hit it on the nose in that respect . . .

Reply by Susie/CA on 3/23/05 12:02pm
Msg #27226

Sorry last msg. was to Jon . . .

Reply by Jon on 3/23/05 6:25pm
Msg #27300

Susie,

I was trying to make the point that if a poster wants to get correct information, they must list where they are from. I also think that when someone responds to a post, they should qualify their answer. Based on the number of posts asking basic notary questions, most will not be aware that the laws vary from state to state. If you answer the question in the manner you did, the poster is not likley to know that it is a wrong answer for Ca. Since you state you are from Ca, the poster will assume that it is a correct answer for Ca and do the notarization wrong.

Reply by Marla_NorCal on 3/22/05 9:47pm
Msg #27132

If your in Calif., I would substitute the notary doc. with your All purpose Ack. IMHO

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/22/05 5:33pm
Msg #27056

And why do you have an appointment when you don't even know how to fill out an acknowledgement without assistance?

Reply by Anonymous on 3/22/05 5:36pm
Msg #27059

and how else will he/she learn without asking questions, isn't that what peers are for?

Reply by Anonymous_CA on 3/22/05 5:41pm
Msg #27062

Yes! That is what this forum is for. Don't be discouraged... just ignore the old grumps and keep asking your questions... there are lots of nice notaries here who are more than willing to help.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 3/22/05 5:47pm
Msg #27065

Re: Ensure that this acknowledgment comply with your state

Ensure that the acknowledgment complies with your state notarial wording. (check your handbook) and the arrow is (he/she/they). As a learning tool, get a jurat and an acknowledgment and fill it out for reference point.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 3/22/05 7:07pm
Msg #27100

I agree with Cali and Ernest..but let's throw he/she a bone

I agree that the person notarizing should understand the notarial wording, but when I find a question that ask about the he/she/they piece, I will throw them a bone. I refer to my handbook all the time and this is because CA notary duties can be misconstrued.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/22/05 5:55pm
Msg #27069

No, that is what the notary commission test is for. Anybody who becomes a comissioned notary should be able to complete a freaking acknowledgement without having to post a help message on a public board.

And anonymous may not even have the right answer. One size does not fit all when it comes to that kind of stuff. If he's in California he WILL be illegally notarizing a document tonight, and I'm sure that applies to several other states as well. But I guess THAT'S not important enough to address because it would be too grumpy.

<this has been a recording>

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/22/05 6:27pm
Msg #27085

Getting help filling out a simple ack or jurat is not, IMHO, in line with the spirit of this Forum. The people who have been here for years expect that new notaries will have read their manuals, then studied them, then used the Search tool before asking simple questions which should have been covered in their books.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/22/05 6:35pm
Msg #27090

You know that and I know that and many people in here know that. Unfortunately there seem to be an equal number of people who think that knowing notary law is not at all important to doing our jobs properly and that we should just shut up and give them the answers that they couldn't be bothered to learn on their own.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/22/05 9:41pm
Msg #27127

Re: Here we go again ...

I've wanted to say that for some time ... switching the tables here because the newbies are the ones always saying it to us mean-spirited NSAs. The newbies and anons tell us how terrible we are *until* they need a simple question re ack. and/or jurat answered *once again* when it has been asked *and* answered over and over numerous times before. By hiding behind an anon handle and without identifying their state, there is a 99% possibility that the answers they will receive will be incorrect.

Reply by Jon on 3/22/05 10:41pm
Msg #27143

Re: Here we go again ...

Ahhhh Carolyn, you're just being grumpy!!!!!

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/22/05 11:21pm
Msg #27155

Re: Do you think so? I can't imagine why. n/m

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/22/05 9:02pm
Msg #27118

Yeah Doc, you dunno what ur doing, but it's okay your a DR.

Would you want a professional doctor performing serjury on you if he/she didn't know what what he/she was doing? It doesn't matter right, just as long as he/she is legally a doctor???

Certain things should be "assumed to be known". With all do respect, you have no business being a notary if you can't do a basic notarial certificate.

========
Korey

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/22/05 9:04pm
Msg #27119

I know... I doubled the word "what" n/m

Reply by ANON- on 3/22/05 9:12pm
Msg #27125

Re: Yeah Doc, you dunno what ur doing, -FYI

Many physicians consult one another when they aren't sure about a procedure (calling a colleague on the phone, looking something up in a book/journal). Many are good in one area of medicine, but not in another, i.e., surgery. It's a known fact. It could even be you who may be good in one area of serving as a Notary, but fail miserably in another. That's what networking should be about.

Reply by Jon on 3/22/05 10:39pm
Msg #27142

Dr's may consult on the specifics of a complicated surgery, but if you went to your doctor and told him you had a pain in your arm and he had to get a consultation to determine where your arm was, how comfortable would you feel????? We are talking about BASIC knowledge that every notary SHOULD know before attempting to do a notarization.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/22/05 10:51pm
Msg #27147

"It could even be you who may be good in one area of serving as a Notary, but fail miserably in another. That's what networking should be about"

What a bizzare thing to say. We're talking about a basic basic basic basic acknowledgment here, what self respecting notary is going to fail miserably at THAT?

And how many areas of serving as a notary are there anyway? California's handbook is only about 40 pages and that covers it ALL.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/22/05 11:12pm
Msg #27152

And the Florida Governor's Manual for Notaries has over 100 pagesSmiley

Reply by ANON- on 3/22/05 11:38pm
Msg #27160

As proven by the tenor of these two former replies, I rest my case.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/23/05 12:29am
Msg #27166

"As proven by the tenor of these two former replies, I rest my case."

translation: I have nothing to counter the logic of these posts without looking like a complete moron so I'll just claim an imaginary victory and bow out before I make a bigger fool of myself.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/23/05 11:03am
Msg #27213

8-D You're starting to amuse me Cali LOL n/m

Reply by JanetK/CA on 3/24/05 12:31am
Msg #27383

I can't believe I read this whole thread, let alone that I'm responding to it, but I can't help myself at the moment... Several of the people who have responded to your initial post (I'll refrain from categorizing it) are very successful, experienced notary signing agents who have been at this for some time and have much wisdom to offer the person who genuinely is interested in bettering themselves at this field. They are well established, respected and have nothing to fear from up-and-comers. And they are under NO obligation to provide anything to anyone and have nothing to gain personally by freely offering their advice. They just do it in the interest of being helpful and bettering our profession. Everyone should be grateful to have access to this resource. It is not a right due you!

I therefore don't think it is unreasonable to expect a new person to, at the very least, put forth the minimal effort to learn the basics, and do his/her own homework. You didn't like the answer they gave you, so you insulted the advice giver and wonder why they don't want to answer all of your questions any more! If you get indignant if someone doesn't spoon feed you something you should already know, they will just think "why bother" and not waste the effort. I find myself asking that nearly every time I come to this board anymore - which is less and less often. Just my two cents worth...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.