Notary Rotary
Just getting Started
Notary Discussion History

Just getting Started
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 3/2/05 9:09am
Msg #23219

Just getting Started

Hello everyone, I'm just getting started in my mobile notary business. I'm in DE, and was wondering if anyone could give a rookie a few pointers. TIA

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 3/2/05 9:23am
Msg #23221

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH

First bit of advice -- read this board in its entirety. There is a wealth of information on it, both for loan questions and general notary questions. Start by pushing the first button and read ALL the way to the last. Then after reading it all, if you have any specific questions, post them, but remember that most people will not respond to anonymous so if you really want good advice, use at least a pen name.

Reply by D. Smiley and Associates, LLC on 3/2/05 11:13am
Msg #23250

Re: RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH

Thanks

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/2/05 10:15am
Msg #23228

I normally do not respond to anonymous posters, but you stated you are in DE, which, afaik, is an attorney only state. That being said, you can still perform as a mobile notary doing standard notary work. You just will not be able to accept loan "closing" signings.

Read the DE laws pertaining to notaries and notarial acts.
If DE has a notary manual, digest it fully.
Join a notary association. (I recommend the American Society of Notaries - ASN)
Read the message boards, but be aware that most of the discussion will be Signing Agent based on a lot of the message boards and forums.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/2/05 10:52am
Msg #23246

Re: Where in delaware ? n/m/

Reply by D. Smiley and Associates, LLC on 3/2/05 11:32am
Msg #23255

Re: Where in delaware ? n/m/

Wilmington

Reply by D. Smiley and Associates, LLC on 3/2/05 11:30am
Msg #23254

Thank you, and for the most part DE is an attorney only state. I do have the Delaware Notary Handbook, and yes I'm still learning it. I was looking for a few good organizations to join, I've joined the United States Notary Association; just waiting for my information and I'll give the ASN a look.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/2/05 11:48am
Msg #23259

You are not that far out of PA NJ and MD. You can do closings in these 3 states - BUT:
1. I don't know if you have to be a resident to be a notary in PA or NJ.
2. You can be a notary in MD and live out of state.
3. You have to have a Title Producer's License in MD to do refis. I believe there is reciprocy (Sp) on licenses.

Art

Reply by D. Smiley and Associates, LLC on 3/2/05 12:14pm
Msg #23266

Thanks, I'll check their state sites to find out. I guess that question begs to from where my mileage rate applies, would it start from DE or from the state line of where I recieve my notary?

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 3/2/05 12:52pm
Msg #23274

Re: Just getting Started - PA

You must live or work in PA to be a notary here, and "work in PA" means have an office address here, not just skip over the state line to do a signing. Sorry!

Reply by Art_MD on 3/2/05 1:29pm
Msg #23286

That leaves NJ to be heard from ...

Art

Reply by D. Smiley and Associates, LLC on 3/2/05 1:42pm
Msg #23288

Thanks for your help!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.