Notary Rotary
Just getting started
Notary Discussion History

Just getting started
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by TEE on 3/3/05 4:04pm
Msg #23497

Just getting started

Hello, can someone give me any advise on getting my business started. Do's & Don'ts.

Tomika

Reply by Kathleen DeSando on 3/3/05 4:21pm
Msg #23499

A few companies I recommend (because you'll get paid):

MortgageDocs.com
Nations Direct
Placer Title (National Closing Solutions)
Veri-docs
DocumentService.com

Companies to BEWARE OF (unless you like donating your time):

Thomas A Sirianni, Inc.
SendANotary.com
Globaldox
Beacon Rock Signing Services (they may already be out of business)

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 3/3/05 4:44pm
Msg #23504

First Read EVERYTHING on this board, etc

Advice for anyone just starting out. Depending on the area that you are in, you may or may not be able to get work, i.e. many area are saturated with notaries who fell for the NNA get rich quick scheme. Having said that, if you think you want to persue this business, read every notary board you can find, learn all that you can learn, network (if possible) with other notaries and MARKET, MARKET, MARKET yourself. There is no fast road to success. Also be sure that you want the life style that we have to live (last minute signings, slow and or low pay, not being able to have much of a social life, especially from the 15th to the 25th of each month, be prepared to sit at a kitchen table trying to work while dinner was cooking, phones ringing and borrowers jumping up to answer, kids screaming, dogs barking, couples fighting, etc). All of us could tell you stories that would either curl your hair, or make it fall out,. You also should be someone who does not require a structured life because in this business (if you treat it like a business and not just pin money) almost everything is subject to change. It is not unusual to have five signings in your appointment book and end up with one or none due to cancellations or rescheduling! You will have little or no control over your schedule, you might have one for 9 a.m. and not another thing until 8 or 9 p.m. or 4 or 5 one day and then none for the next several days. And the problem with starting new in a saturated market is that everyone wants experience and references. When I started 3 years ago the business was at its zenith and the first 2 or 3 months, I was lucky to get 2 or 3 signings a week and I turned down nothing! I also worked at least 40 hours a week just trying to get business. Also, you will need a fast computer, a hi speed internet connection, a fast laser printer(PCL6), a plain paper fax machine, a copier, a reliable car and a cell phone with at least 1500 anytime minutes. Don't expect to recoup your initial investment for at least six to twelve months. I don't mean to paint such a black picture, but it is reality.

Reply by Susie/CA on 3/3/05 6:52pm
Msg #23513

Perfectly said Dorothy! (n/m)

Reply by Julie-MI on 3/3/05 8:47pm
Msg #23530

Bravo, Dorothy!

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/3/05 9:55pm
Msg #23553

Ditto!! - N/M

Reply by Michelle Santos on 3/4/05 9:02am
Msg #23595

Re: First Read EVERYTHING on this board, etc

That was perfect!!! Even for me, I have been a notary signing agent for just about a year. Thanks for the advice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.