Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just want to share the sweetest Quit Claim Deed I ever saw!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 3/11/05 8:52pm
Msg #25050

Where it normally says "for one dollar and other good & valuable consideration" it said: "for love and affection freely given" (from a guy putting his new bride on title to the house he previously owned).

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/11/05 10:33pm
Msg #25058

Re: Thanks for sharing! n/m

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 3/11/05 11:05pm
Msg #25061

quite the opposite of one I received in my escrow days....

where the ex-husband was deeding his interest to his ex-wife and drew a hand with the middle finger sticking straight up... at the bottom of the deed. We sent it to record (hoping that it wouldn't be rejected)... and it recorded! I guess that was his way of saying... well... you know... *f* you.

Reply by Roger/OH on 3/11/05 11:06pm
Msg #25062

I had the same QCD wording from a mom to her son.

Reply by Debbie/NJ on 3/12/05 5:01am
Msg #25076

Re: Just want to share the sweetest Quit Claim Deed I ever s

Although I think the sentiment is very sweet, is it legal? I thought it had to be something tangible (i.e. $1.00).

Reply by JHS/FL on 3/12/05 7:33am
Msg #25093

Re: Just want to share the sweetest Quit Claim Deed I ever s

I had one and check with Title Company and they told me to put that in there

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 3/12/05 10:13am
Msg #25109

It's a grey area

Deeds through the 1950s in CT often state "for love and affection". As time progressed, "one dollar and other valuable consideration." Then came "ten dollars and other good and valuable consideration". Today I see ten dollars or "for nominal consideration." All nd mean the same: no money changed hands. You can tell by the tax stamp on the deed or the assessor's records what the consideration was.

The technical issue is: for a deed to be valid it must have "consideration". Is "love" a valuable consideration. I think it has value, but I beat non-divorce attorneys would disagree. I don't know of any good real estate case law on this subject to give you a good example of "why." It just became easier to add a small $ figure than try and re-write the statute regarding a valid real property conveyance.

Reply by Anonymous on 3/12/05 9:59am
Msg #25106

Has anyone ever run across a circumstance at a signing when the borrower wasn't aware ahead of time that he was going to sign a quitclaim deed adding his wife to the deed? In this case the borrower signed it, but it was awkward.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/12/05 1:11pm
Msg #25132

Just the opposite...

I had a signing where the husband was quit claiming away his interest. Needless to say, that was not what he, nor his wife, wanted to do. The lender, in their own infinite wisdom, decided that since the loan was being taken out in the Mrs. name only, on their primary residence, and Florida is a homestead state, that the Mr. wasn't going to be a party to the transaction, lock stock and barrel. Boy, was the lender ever wrong.

The Mr. is an entrepreneur who wanted to start up another business. Being self-employed and without documented steady income, the application was strictly in the Mrs. name. Loan approved and vesting to be as "Mrs., a married woman". (Remember, we are a homestead state and marital status is to be shown on primary residences.) It didn't fly. There was no way they were going to proceed with the loan because of the QCD. (Could not reach broker, LO nor title company for assistance.) As it turned out, the paperwork was redrawn, but I was unavailable to do the signing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.