Notary Rotary
LSI & a Request for a background check
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by MI_Notary on 3/10/05 8:38pm
Msg #24844

Has anyone else received an email from LSI requesting that they be able to do a background check on you in order to receive signings? I received an email today asking me if I would authorize them to perform a check on me and I have told them no due to the fact that the State of Michigan already does this type of check prior to giving your notary license. Their website even states who is in good standing. Anyway, any thoughts on this request??

Reply by John_NorCal on 3/10/05 9:18pm
Msg #24855

I agree with you given the fact that states are doing a thorough background check already. This would appear to me to be an invasion of privacy.

Reply by Becky on 3/11/05 12:10am
Msg #24879

I agree. I really don't understand the need for such an invasion of privacy. We are appointed by our SOS. Whatever credentials is needed for a notary appointment is given to our SOS. I have come accross a few companies requesting background check and I opt not to sign up with them. I've heard that some of the same companies requesting for b/g check are running credit check without authorization.

Reply by Julie-MI on 3/11/05 7:17am
Msg #24896

The statute in Michigan states the sos MAY do a background check. I just renewed my commission and I had a question in the turn around time. I asked them about the background check and they are NOT DOING IT! MAY does not equal that they ARE doing it.

If you don't want a background check nor want to pay for it, then just don't work with the company.

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/11/05 7:50am
Msg #24902

Julie,

Very interesting. I was under the impression that the Michigan SOS did do a background check on notary applicants. So pursuant to what MI-Notary stated, did you check the site to see if you were in good standing? *S*

Reply by MI_Notary on 3/11/05 8:53am
Msg #24909

That was my impression as well, given part of the qualifications states must "Be free of any felony convictions, misdemeanor convictions, or convictions for violating the Notary Public Act". Unless they do a check, how would they know this. This was part of the new "revisions" of April 1, 2004. Makes no sense to incorporate this language and then not check. Wouldn't you agree?

However, I do agree that although I have nothing to hide, I am not about to authorize that type of indepth search when I am not an actually employee of the company. I think I have only ever received (if I recall correctly) one signing from this company anyway. I was just curious if anyone else received the same email.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/11/05 7:38am
Msg #24898

Most states do not do a background check on their notaries.

One of LSI's clients (USAA) is requiring that the signing agents going to their members homes have a background check.
When I got the first e-mail from LSI, I did not respond. I refuse to pay for a background check.
Then they sent the e-mail out that they were paying for the background check. LSI is my best company, and I did not want to lose their business. I called them. I then agreed they could do the background check.
Apparently if you do not agree to the background check then they cannot use you for USAA signings, but will use you for their others. I like the USAA packages, I am in and out very quickly as they are small packages.

I did add to the consent, that it was only for the background check and not a credit check or bank record check etc.

Reply by MI_Notary on 3/11/05 8:56am
Msg #24910

That addition was a good choice. They are not one of my big signing providers so I wasn't willing to let them do such a check. Maybe if they had been sending me more, I may have thought differently. It is nice to know that someone is receiving more business from them... Smiley

Reply by Jon on 3/11/05 10:27am
Msg #24946

I received the e-mail as well. The one sent to me actually states that if I have already had a background check performed, to send it to them and they will use that in lieu of performing their own. My e-mail also states that they are going to pay for it, and that they will not check my credit.

I am going to send them a copy of my commission cert with a copy of the Ca Civil Code as proof that I have had a background check.

Reply by MI_Notary on 3/11/05 1:31pm
Msg #24992

That is a good idea as far as the copy of the commission. As far as sending them a copy, the State of Michigan does not supply a copy of what they may or may not have searched. Therefore, other than my commission, I would have nothing to send them. I know I can do a search on our State's webpage (or State Police webpage, can't quite recall) as I have done one on myself some time ago, when I was worried about ID theft. That costs like $10. But being an independent contractor, I don't believe I should be asked since our state's webpage states if I am in good standing or not. I believe other state's webpages also do this. Just a little more personal info than I like to give.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.