Notary Rotary
Multi-state notary
Notary Discussion History

Multi-state notary
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Jason_AL on 3/9/05 9:24am
Msg #24503

Multi-state notary

I am doing some research to see if it is possible to hold a notary in multiple states simultaniously. Anyone know about this??? Thanks

Reply by Art_MD on 3/9/05 9:29am
Msg #24504

Re: Multi-state notary PA,MD,VA

It is not uncommon.
i.e. MD- VA PA-MD (if PA resident, not if MD resident unless work full time in PA)

Art

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/9/05 9:56am
Msg #24508

Many states do allow dual commissions. Usually, the state of residence and the state in which you have **employment** and the commission is required by your **employer**.

Some states, like FL, do not allow dual commissions. I.e., you must be a resident to hold a FL NP commission. This is not to say that a FL NP cannot hold a commission in GA, for example, but a GA resident cannot hold a commission in FL.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/9/05 10:11am
Msg #24513

I'm commissioned in MN, WI and IA. Resident in MN, Border state for WI., doing business in IA.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/9/05 10:18am
Msg #24516

I have checked into getting my commission for GA and my understanding is you can if you work in Ga and live in Florida. Ga also is an attorney only state but you can work for an Attorney and do signings. I live less than an hour to the Ga border. I do inspections in Ga now, would that qualify as working in GA

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/9/05 11:43am
Msg #24533

I live and work in NE PA. I was wondering if I could get my NY notary commission as well because I don't live far from the NY border.

Reply by MarleneM/USNA on 3/9/05 2:28pm
Msg #24580

Re: Multi-state notary - PA/NY

Here's what the NYS Department of State Division of Licensing Services has to say about that at http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/lawbooks/notary.html:

"Attorneys, residing out of State, who are admitted to practice in the State and who maintain a law office within the State are deemed to be residents of the county where the office is maintained. Nonresidents other than attorneys who have offices or places of business in New York State may also become notaries."

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/9/05 12:03pm
Msg #24543

As others have posted, it depends on the states. Even though I'm a few miles from the RI border, I can't become a RI notary because RI requires that notaries be registered voters in RI. For CT (and other states), having a place of business in the state is sufficient.

Reply by Debbie/NJ on 3/10/05 6:39am
Msg #24682

Anyone know about becoming a Delaware notary if you live in New Jersey. I am relatively close to the Delaware state border and have been called several times about doing signings in Delaware. I explained that I can only notarize in New Jersey. I do this full-time so I don't work in Delaware if that is a condition of getting a Delaware notary. TIA

Reply by Art_MD on 3/10/05 7:46am
Msg #24691

Re: Multi-state notary - DE is attorney only state

De is an attorney only state.
However, I do closings for DE .. in MD. The borrower crosses the border and we do all the paperwork in MD. This is totally legal and closing will record in DE with no problem. I have several set meeting places - restaurants, library, etc. depending on where the borrowers are coming from.
I charge extra for DE closings - I know that the title company is saving a $400-500 lawyer fee, and there is the hassle of setting time, location, etc.

Art

Reply by Debbie/NJ on 3/12/05 5:16am
Msg #25078

Re: Multi-state notary - DE is attorney only state

Thanks, Art! Now I know if I want to do a Delaware closing I need to get the borrowers to come to NJ.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.