Need your oppinion, PLEASE !!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Monica/CA on 3/28/05 11:54am
Msg #28009

Hi there everyone,

I am curious as to how many of you have had a company send 1 or 2 all purpose acknowledgements blank and want you to sign and stamp it, but it isnt for any particular document. I guess they said it is in case I leave something unstamped, but doesn't that mean, they can have the borrower sign something and attach this signed and notarized ack, that I really didn't notarize... I don't think this sounds right.. I don't think I want to send these back...What do you guys think? TIA

Reply by Shane_IN on 3/28/05 11:56am
Msg #28011

I've had a few companies that have asked for those, and I always tell them no. If I'm not witnessing a signature, I'm not giving an acknowledgement that says I might.... To me its a no no

Reply by Art_MD on 3/28/05 12:07pm
Msg #28013

Re: Need your oppinion,- blank acknowledgement

I've recem in several ges from several ss/tcs. All but 2 say "enclosed also are x blank acknowldegements for your use if you need them"
1 says " if you want, please sign and notarize the enclosed all purpose acknowledgement."
1 says nothing - just includes it.

I keep the blanks. Never know when I will need one.

Never send back a signed acknowledgement unless it is attached to a document. CYA by putting the description of the document on the acknowledgement. Most have a space for this info.

Art

Reply by John_NorCal on 3/28/05 12:54pm
Msg #28019

You are completely right. You never want to send a blank ack to anyone no ;lmatter how much they promise that they won't use it unless you mess up. Chances are they're the ones who will make a mistake at your expense.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/28/05 1:01pm
Msg #28021

Sounds illegal and/or unethical too me...

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that the company sent you blank acknowledgments and requested that you fill them out and send them back.

I'm not sure of your state but in Massachusetts the signer of an acknowledgment has to be physically in my presence before I execute the ack certificate. Any other way will be construde as illegal.

I'm not an attorney, however I would advise you not to do it. Use your better judgment. If it sounds ockward, or wrong too you, then it probably is.

=======
Korey

Reply by Donna Sac CA on 3/28/05 1:53pm
Msg #28036

Monica in CA it is illegal to do so. I just draw a line through them and write "not legal in CA" That way, they get all the pages back that they sent, but I don't do what I can't legally

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.