Notary Rotary
New Notary
Notary Discussion History

New Notary
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Taliah Carter on 3/14/05 7:56am
Msg #25328

New Notary

Hello, I'm a new notary in Illinois and I would like to know if there are any Illinois notaries out there or any notaries who can give me a few pointers on how to begin notarizing as a job. I'm familiar about notarizing for real estate closings, but I've never done it before. I was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers on how to get started.

All replies are welcomed.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/14/05 8:40am
Msg #25332

Welcome to the board. This may be a little disjointed, but:
1. Start reading from post 1 to current.
2. Pick a board name that includes your state. This helps keep people identifed, though there are too many Taliah's out there. Maybe Taliah-IL.
3. Look for names with IL at the end.
4. If you want to do a quick search through the postings, go to search and enter newbie as keyword.
4. Don't take everything you read as gospel. There are many opinions, but many answers must be reseached by you since your state laws are different than the other 49 states.
5. At times, some people get nasty. Ignore them. You will get your own personal list developed on who knows what they are talking about, and those who are just talking. You should get a preliminary list very quickly.
6. Sign up with many, many signing agencies. Do a seach using "no no " and "avoid" to get an idea on who not to work for . Remember, these lists are usually one person's opinion, but, if the same name shows up on 10 lists, - there probably is a reason.
7. Study your state notary handbook.

Good luck,

Art

Reply by Taliah Carter on 3/14/05 9:02am
Msg #25333

Thank you for your advice it will really help.

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/14/05 9:23am
Msg #25336

I'm from Chicago and a friend of mine back home wanted to know what I do and what it takes...

"According to the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation, the rule states that only an Attorney, Title Company or Agent may close loans." You may want to make sure it's legal for you to be an SA.

Reply by Taliah_IL on 3/14/05 2:28pm
Msg #25390

Thanks for the info.

I've done my homework concering SA in Illinois, according to the rule with the IL Dept of Financial & Professional Regualtions, I am able to do loan closings for lenders but not for Title Agencies. I know that in IL in order to perform closing for Title Agencies one must be an "Independent Escrow EE", currently there is a bill in progress that will change this current law. Thanks again for the info. and may you can let your friend know that he/she doesn't have to be an Attorney or work with a Title Company to get started.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.