Newbie has a question
Notary Discussion History

Newbie has a question
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by thomas-ca on 3/28/05 7:58pm
Msg #28115

Newbie has a question

Hello All
I just received my letter in the mail stating that I passed my notary exam. My next step is to be fingerprinted. I know I will pass that as well. Ive been reading your post for the past couple of days and see that you guys are very helpful with one another. I would like to know being a newbie and all if you could highly recommed a live signing course and some books to read. I would also like to know what would be a good company to become a member with..ie NNA, American Society of Notaries

Thanks in advance for your advice

Reply by nt/ca on 3/28/05 8:11pm
Msg #28118

I too am a "newbie" and have spent a chunk of change on memberships, courses, and reading material - thus far, I think that the Signing Registry (http://www.signingregistry.net) has the best "training manual" and reading material on offer. It's probably the most worthwhile money I've spent outside of the membership fee for Notary Rotary.

I joined the NNA, and don't really see much benefit from it, save discounts on their products/service - albeit I didn't take their signing course.

From what I've gathered from other SAs - most of the "live courses" don't seem to really offer a good grounding in how to actually do a signing or really give you a solid foundation with the documents you'll be working with. The one I took spent most of the time talking about what office supplies you needed to be a signing agent. The exam they gave you was open book with the answers in the answer key - so as a verification of knowledge, their certification doesn't mean that much. Others may be able to recommend another certification course that would be beneficial.

Reply by thomas-ca on 3/28/05 11:11pm
Msg #28139

thanks for the advice..I was thinking about taking notaryclasses.com or the NNA class

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/28/05 8:31pm
Msg #28120

Hello,

The main book that you should be conerned about is your state's notary handbook. You should've acquired that at the beginning.

You may also want to purchase a good legal dictionary so you may be able to interpret the legal jargon that comes with our office.

In my opinon, I don't think you should really focus on becoming a member of the NNA. Though debated, many people including myself feel that the NNA is out full force to just make money selling "bogus nonsense" to unsuspecting notaries public. Especially the newbies.

Granted I have purchased a couple of items from the NNA, such as E&O insurance, and my notarial seal, but I do not wish to become a member for the above stated reason.

========
Korey

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/28/05 8:35pm
Msg #28121

This is message 27099 written by: Anon. Oldie

This is the best advice I've seen written to date. You can find this message by clicking on the search tab and entering msg. 27099.

==================================================================

I know you're tired of getting verbally abused on these boards. But I have to give you some friendly advice. I'm on your side. REALLY! Take it from someone who has been in this business ten years: You have to get realistic if you are going to get anywhere in this business.

1. Don't believe everything you read here. A lot of notaries have inflated opinions of themselves and what they are worth. When you read here or on other boards, that Jane X is charging 150 or more, she is either a) exaggerating b) VERY EXPERIENCED c) well connected or d) both b and c.

2. Forget everything (well, almost) that you learned in the NNA course. You will NOT get rich quick and in fact, if you're looking to get rich, the signing business ain't it. But you can make a decent living and if you live humbly, take some pretty nifty vacations.

3. If you do any signings in your first few months, count your lucky stars! Be prepared to WAIT for any sort of cash flow. Most companies, particularly signing companies, pay on a 30-60 day term. That means you will be waiting for a long time for any money to show up. It is ridiculous to expect payment within two weeks. My clients pay me at the close of escrow. But I've also been in business for ten years and can run circles around most signing agents in my area. (I also don't roll out of bed for less than $150.00) I also don't work for signing companies, and most of my business is escrow or lender direct.

4. If you value your reputation in this business, don't say anything on these boards that you will regret later. Me? I even use a proxy server to hide my IP. I rarely post on these boards, but when I do, it's to help someone out, like you, who really DOES want to work hard.

5. Not everyone is altruistic like you. Some people in this business are actually really crummy people with no moral values whatsoever. And if you get in their way, or in any way threaten their ego, they will make mincemeat out of you and your reputation if they can find out where you live and work. Same goes for notaries in your area that want to "network" with you. BEWARE, Caveat Emptor, and all that.

6. Don't "make friends" with people on these boards, if you can help it. Stick to your friends "in real life". The people here, are out to make as much money as they can, as fast as they can, and they will not hesitate to step on other people to do it. They will insult you, turn on you and tell lies about you to other people, in order to make themselves look and feel better. This goes with number 5! ;)

7. If you pray, pray hard, for your business to grow, and then WORK AT IT. It has taken me ten years of solid hard work, sweat, tears, and blood to grow my business. And remember:

Money isn't everything. If I had some things to do over again, there are many signings I would not have taken, simply because I ended up driving all over hell and gone, when I should have been home with my family. My children still love me, THANK GOD, but none of them are better people just because I was self employed.

Don't take this post personally. I see that most of you are really trying hard, and you're getting insulted by idiots who want you to think this is rocket science and that they have "paid their dues"....puh-leeze...most of the names on this board, and the others (gomobilenotary, et al) are people I have been watching for the last five years...some of them are cool. Most are rude, insensitive and downright nasty people in real life. I know because I've met some of them. And they know who they are. And the other oldies know who I'm talking about too. And I've seen their ilk come and go. Anyone remember a certain person with the last name of Wilson in California? Or Jamie Jessup, the "preacher" in Florida-turned-Signing Agent-who used people's personal information to slander them and harrass and cyber-stalk them?

Many sa's are now scrambling to save their businesses. Most of them will fold in the next year, if the market is continually flooded with new people. Those who will be left standing, are those who have been in the business a long time, or those who are just flat determined. Some of the "experts" (the "names" on these boards) are a flash in the pan...they've had their pitiful fifteen minutes of fame, and no one will care who they are/were in the notary business ten years from now. This includes all the ones who have put their names out there on privately published "signing agent" journals ( roll eyes) and CD's promising to teach you "everything you need to know" about this business, and little "registry" sites (this one is an exception....I LOVE NOTARYROTARY...I have gotten a lot of signings through this site.) . Most of this crap is a waste of money and time.

To get started in the notary business of loan signing, you absolutely must have the following:

Notary Commission and know/understand/and abide by, your state notary laws
Notary stamp and journal if required, and EVEN IF IT'S NOT.
Pens in the right color
A briefcase to put your stuff in
Computer
LASER PRINTER (HP PREFERRED with a PCL driver of 5 or higher...never mind, too complicated to explain but YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS)
Phone at home with a fax machine attached to it
Cell phone.

This is all you really need to start. The rest is HARD WORK.

Now get out there, and get yourself some signings...that's the best training in the world. And all the blabbing on these boards doesn't earn anyone any money. That's why I am so rarely here.

;)

Reply by thomas-ca on 3/28/05 11:14pm
Msg #28140

Re: This is message 27099 written by: Anon. Oldie

thanks Korey...this is great advice

Reply by doris/CA on 3/29/05 1:41pm
Msg #28239

Re: This is message 27099 written by: Anon. Oldie

I took the class from notaryclasses.com and they just want your money. Very bad services with them

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.