Newbie question
Notary Discussion History

Newbie question
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by LaToya Stephens on 3/29/05 12:10pm
Msg #28205

Newbie question

Hi Y'all,

My name is LaToya and I am a commissioned notary of my home state of Massachusetts.

I've heard great things about this board and thats why I am seeking your advice. If you'd be so kind to answer the following questions i'd be very greatful:

--- Loan closings in Massachusetts: illegal? or legal?
--- What does a subpoena look like?
--- How do I issue a subpoena?
--- If someone comes to me for an order of tresspass how do i issue it?

Thank you guys & gals in advance.

LaToya

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/29/05 12:18pm
Msg #28206

First, you might not want to use your whole name on the forum. Usually a first or last name or nickname and the two letter abbreviation of your state. You will get more answers for your state-specific questions.

Whatever you do, make sure to Click on the orange button at the top of the screen that says "Search" on it, type in the topic. You should find your answers there. Also, after you do that, you should type in the number "1" on the message number and read each message starting at the beginning and read each message until you get to todays messages. You should have most of your questions answered. After you follow the above steps, the members of this forum will be more than happy to answer your questions. Good luck in your business!

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/29/05 12:34pm
Msg #28210

"What does a subpoena look like?"

Now I've seen it all.

Why do I get the feeling this is another one of Korey's alter egos?

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/29/05 12:38pm
Msg #28214

Cali... keep yourself under control. It's not me.. n/m

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/29/05 3:48pm
Msg #28310

You are correct, Cali...

But, Hugh told me to stop wasting my time with it. (He's not here much so it's safe to post that I have taken his wisdom to heart. Smiley )

Check your email.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/29/05 12:37pm
Msg #28212

Re: Newbie question (everything answered herein)

You asked the following:

1.)--- Loan closings in Massachusetts: illegal? or legal?
2.)--- What does a subpoena look like?
3.)--- How do I issue a subpoena?
4.)--- If someone comes to me for an order of tresspass how do i issue it?

ANSWERS:

1.) A non-attorney notary public is prohibited from conducting loan closings in Massachusetts pursuant to the Governor's Executive Order 455 (04-04). Unless (1) you are an attorney licensed to practice law; or (2) you are a paralegal being directly supervised by an attorney (like via telephone [I just use an attorney's name with their prior permission]).

2.) A subpoena is a court order issued by a clerk of court, magistrate, notary public, judge or justice of the peace. The order commands a person to appear before another officer (or yourself) so that he/she may be properly examined. Furthermore, a subpoena may be used to order a person to surrender any tangible item. (Summons’s are equivalent). I have sent you a sample subpoena to show you what they look like (via email). The subpoena is taken from TurboLaw software specifically designed for Massachusetts.

3.) You, as a judicial officer (notary), issue a subpoena by signing your name to it, and then sealing it. Usually the subpoena is already finished for you and all you have to do is go through it and make sure everything is in order. Verify the docket #, court name and address, etc.

4.) An order of trespass pursuant MGL c. 266 section 120 bans a person from entering in or upon any premises by either (1) notice posted thereon, or (2) by written order. Unless if the order is done and you're asked just to issue it (notarize it), then I suggest you don't make one from scratch unless if you are duly trained or qualified. This order does not effect landlord or tenant issues. For this type of "nuisance" the landlord or tenant should go to court. It becomes issued once you put the requestor under oath, and feel that sufficient reasoning’s exist. (obviously you must sign and seal).

In addition; if you are ever asked to take affidavits for search warrants you shouldn't unless if you are familiar with what constitutes probable cause. (FYI: 3 or more affidavits alleging a crime has been, or will be committed constitutes probable cause for a search and seizure.)

Check your email, and then click on my name to visit my website. There, you'll find the Gov. Exec. Order and the applicable laws that pertain to the office of Notary Public in Massachusetts.

Feel free to call me or email if you should have any more questions.

NOTE: I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN AND THAT IS BEING FURNISHED TO YOU INCLUDES (1) MY PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE AND (2) WORK EXPIRENCES. CONSULT AN ATTORNEY FOR ANY CLARIFICATIONS.

=======
Korey

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/29/05 12:45pm
Msg #28216

Re: Newbie question (everything answered herein)

Yep, right on schedule. It's just amazing how many MA newbies have come into this forum lately asking specific questions that just happen to give Korey the chance to flaunt his expertise.

And to promote himself ("click on my name to visit my website").

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/29/05 12:49pm
Msg #28218

make it stop....n/m

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/29/05 12:56pm
Msg #28222

Re: make it stop....n/m

I would think that even if Harry wasn't terribly concerned about what's discussed in this forum, he'd at least be concerned about all of the fake MA notary profiles that are in the notary database now.

Reply by Anonymous on 3/29/05 1:01pm
Msg #28226

here we go again! Cali you need to stop & mind ur own n/m

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/29/05 12:51pm
Msg #28220

Lets reason here:......

I can't:

(1) Answer questions for newbies;
(2) Advertise by typing out my webpage;
(3) offer my services on the forum;
(4) speak unless if spoken too;
(5) dare know what I'm talking about;
(6) Go assist others without CaliNotary's interference;
LIST GOES ON

So, what can I do on this PUBLIC forum????

Last I knew Cali:

(1) You don't read my posts anymore
(2) You ignore my requests for help
(3) You were going to be helpful, and not your old self
(4) Harry from Notary Rotary said basically "Grow Up"

Get the hint.

Have a good day!

=======
Korey

Reply by ERNA_CA on 3/29/05 1:01pm
Msg #28225

Re: Lets reason here:......

Well all I can say. The ones that are willing to help and answear quiestions. Good job. The ones that seem to spend their energy on necative comments insted of helping. Shame on you.
I ran into a cople of people that jumped right on me when i came on here. Got rude comments instead of help. Not good PR for this site. Might turn folks away. If you have nothing good to say my advize is dont say anything.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 3/29/05 1:08pm
Msg #28229

Re: Lets reason here:......

Korey,

That message from Cali was directed at the board in general and not you. Please refer to number four of the Korey rules. Or go to Korey rules number one and read them until the most recent Korey rule. Once you have learned them all you should be fully apprised of the Korey rules.

(Snicker) Smiley

Reply by LaToya Stephens on 3/29/05 12:54pm
Msg #28221

thank u korey and jojo you've been helpful

korey thanks for the info. I've gotten your email. Thanks a hole bunch.

Thank you for your advice 2 jojo.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 3/29/05 1:53pm
Msg #28245

LaToya:

On your profile I suggest that you provide phone numbers so companies wanting to call you with an assignment will be able to contact you..
Home...work...cellular/mobile.

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/29/05 1:54pm
Msg #28248

lol Stephanie...surely you jest...n/m

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/29/05 3:40pm
Msg #28305

Stephanie,
You don't think "nothing on file" will get the job done??

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/29/05 3:56pm
Msg #28313

Stephanie...

I have stopped even looking at the addresses of the SockPuppets. Excellent observation.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 3/29/05 6:40pm
Msg #28385

Re: Stephanie...

Second one I noticed this week.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/29/05 4:36pm
Msg #28331

Re: Subpoenas and trespass

**--- What does a subpoena look like?
--- How do I issue a subpoena?
--- If someone comes to me for an order of tresspass how do i issue it?**

What I find interesting besides the influx of MA notaries, is that we never read about any other Newbie in any other state *ever* asking about subpoenas or trespass.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/29/05 5:06pm
Msg #28355

LaToya's profile

I just called the number listed in the profile:

Preferred Phone: 978.425.0733
Business: 978.425.0733

Got an answering machine message stating that Jody and Russ aren't home right now. I also dropped Harry an email as I think posting wrong phone numbers in profiles is REALLY taking it over the line. Hopefully this will be the final straw that gets rid of this loser.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/29/05 5:19pm
Msg #28362

Re: LaToya's profile

I've known several LaToyas that went by the names of Jody and Russ or visa versa. No ???

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/29/05 8:07pm
Msg #28396

Well, Diehards...

Stephanie, CaliNotary, Charm, & Carolyn...et al as applies

I just noticed that you guys and I are the last of the diehards here. Most of the rest of our favorite people have left us and gone to the "other" board so it seems.

Hmmmm.

What's next?

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/29/05 11:19pm
Msg #28428

Re: Well, Diehards...

I think you may be onto something. But I just really really hate the way the GMN board is formatted. What do you think the odds are that Harry will do something about Trollzilla on this board?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/30/05 12:38am
Msg #28446

I'm with you, on several points.

This Forum format is, IMHO, much more friendly.

The only thing that we can do about ... umm ... people who refuse to play nicely in the community sandbox is to ignore them. Please, let's just stop responding in any way to unacceptable behavior. Any attention exacerbates the problem. Negative or positive, it doesn't seem to matter. Any response feeds the ego. Isolation and being totally ignored is often the cure. Could we give it a try for a week, please?

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/30/05 6:01am
Msg #28452

Re: I'm with you, on several points.

You are correct Ernest, however, that's been tried (ignoring it). I agree with you.

Like Carolyn CO said nearly a month ago, it's hard to know the difference between a real person and a fake one these days. Therein lies a good deal of the frustration.

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/30/05 5:58am
Msg #28451

Re: Well, Diehards...

Ditto. I don't like the other board's format either.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/29/05 9:46pm
Msg #28401

>>> I just called the number listed in the profile: ... snip ... Got an answering machine message stating that Jody and Russ aren't home right now. <<<

Gee, I don't understand that. According to the phone company (Verizon):

Jodi Hamilton
37 Lantern Way
Shirley, MA 01464
(978) 425 - 0733

I also checked out the address: 23 Main Street. According to what I could find, that address is occupied by a bank!

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/29/05 11:22pm
Msg #28430

What a shocker. Not.

I wonder exactly how many other profiles are clogging up the database on this site that are all figments of Korey's imagination? That dude has some severe problems.

Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to drop Harry a note about your discovery about the address. Then at least he'll know it's not just me being bitchy.

Reply by tulsa_prlgl on 3/29/05 11:44pm
Msg #28433

Well, I guess I am one of the few "diehard" lurkers left. for now. LoL, Great investigating skills guys.... I feel like I am participating (lurking) in an interactive mystery novel!

Chris

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/30/05 10:59am
Msg #28527

That's a good suggestion, Cali. I would endorse that others do what they feel appropriate. I have heretofore registered an observation regarding the problem poster but said it was not a complaint--an observation only.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.