Notary Rotary
Notarize Marriage application
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by CNYNotary on 3/6/05 9:10pm
Msg #24023

I got a e-mail to notarize an application for a marraige certificate. The couple live about 15 - 20 miles away. What would you charge to go to there house and perform the service?

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/7/05 6:50am
Msg #24048

Make sure you can do this in your state. There are only 3 or 4 states where a Notary can perform marriages. I do not recall NY being one of them. In Florida we can only charge $20.00 for the ceremony but you can charge a trip fee for the roundtrip mileage and your time. You can set your own fee for that

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/7/05 8:24am
Msg #24054

Clerk fee for Solemnizing a Marriage in Florida is now $30.00.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/7/05 8:33am
Msg #24057

I believe your question was fee to notarize an application.
Figure time to travel- NYC is different than elsewhere. Figure your fee based on gross rate per hour. If you want $25/hr., and a one hour round trip, with ovehead, of 1/3 of gross, then probably $35. Adjust numbers as needed.

Art

Reply by Margaret_FL on 3/7/05 8:39am
Msg #24058

I have a wedding to do on the beach this Saturday. I have not done one in a while and was caught off quard when they asked. It right down the street from me and they are neighbors.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/7/05 5:53pm
Msg #24175

PAW, what's your source? The online manual still says $20. I'd love to have a more current source of info. Smiley

Thanks!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/7/05 6:00pm
Msg #24177

The statute was amended last year. Go to the FL Senate and look in the FL Statutes, Title V, Chapter 28.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=solemnizing+matrimony&URL=CH0028/Sec24.HTM

§28.24(24) For solemnizing matrimony ............ 30.00

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/7/05 6:57pm
Msg #24195

I thought this was the clerk of the court charges, not for the Notary

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/7/05 7:52pm
Msg #24205

That does look like it's for the Clerk. I have heard that rate increases are on the floor (along with whether or not we'll be required to have a journal), but didn't think they had been decided yet.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/7/05 8:13pm
Msg #24212

As far as I know, there is nothing on the calendar for the upcoming session. The bill on the floor last year, died in committee, as it has done in the past.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/7/05 8:21pm
Msg #24214

Senate bill S298 to change fees from per cert to per person, and makes a journal required:

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&BillNum=0298

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/7/05 9:32pm
Msg #24233

Yes, it is in committee: "Now in Governmental Oversight and Productivity"

This is where they die. It is not on the Senate calendar, as of yet. Maybe this year, but don't hold your breath.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/7/05 7:59pm
Msg #24208

The Gov's manual states: "A notary public may charge up to $20 for solemnizing the rites of matrimony. §§ 117.045 & 28.24 (29), Fla. Stat."

So, to be current, you need to check the actual statutes as referenced above.

§117.045 Marriages.—A notary public is authorized to solemnize the rites of matrimony. For solemnizing the rites of matrimony, ***the fee of a notary public may not exceed those provided by law to the clerks of the circuit court for like services***.

The other referenced section addresses fees. The fees a notary can charge as set by the fees the clerk of the court charges.

§28.24 - Service charges by clerk of the circuit court.--The clerk of the circuit court may charge for services rendered by the clerk's office in recording documents and instruments and in performing the duties enumerated in amounts not to exceed those specified in this section. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, the clerk of the circuit court shall provide without charge to the state attorney, public defender, and guardian ad litem, and to the authorized staff acting on behalf of each, access to and a copy of any public record, if the requesting party is entitled by law to view the exempt or confidential record, as maintained by and in the custody of the clerk of the circuit court as provided in general law and the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration. The clerk of the circuit court may provide the requested public record in an electronic format in lieu of a paper format when capable of being accessed by the requesting entity.

(24) For solemnizing matrimony ............ 30.00

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/7/05 8:03pm
Msg #24209

I should never have doubted you. Forgive me? ;)

So when do they get around to updating the handbook?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/7/05 8:09pm
Msg #24211

The handbook is 3½ years old. It is based on the 1997 statutes with the last update (I believe) made in November 2001. We do need an update, but don't hold your breath. That's why it is so important to keep tabs on the statutes directly.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/7/05 8:17pm
Msg #24213

Thanks for all the good info PAW....n/m

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/7/05 7:09am
Msg #24049

I just checked you Notary Law and here is your law:

§11. Domestic Relations Law
A notary public has NO authority to solemnize marriages; nor may a notary public take the acknowledgment of parties and witnesses to a written contract of marriage.

Here is the link to your Notary Laws. You need to learn them

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/lawbooks/notary.html

I found the law in about 30 seconds.

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/7/05 8:47am
Msg #24062

Re: I agree with Art n/m

Reply by CNY Notary on 3/12/05 9:41am
Msg #25104

Thanks All!

I am in New York....my state prohibits me from performing marriages. My question was what type of fee to charge to drize to a home and notarize a marraige application.

Thank you all though for some interestind reading!

Art, you hit the nail on the head........thanks!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.