Notary Rotary
Notary Rotary Journal......
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Shane_IN on 3/19/05 9:28am
Msg #26427

I'm in Indiana where a Journal is not required....however, one of the signing services I get at least 20 signings a month from has informed me that they now require a Journal be kept, with fingerprinting as well. Something about their E&O insurance carrier requires it, and if I want to continue doing closings for them I'd have to abide...

okay, fine with me as a Journal for 20 signings a month is a no-brainer.... however, i need one that you can log fingerprints... I have read much raves about the Notary Rotary Journal, does it have a place for fingerprints? If not, can anyone suggest a good one? (other than the NNA yuk)

Much appreciated in advance, my great happy notary family.

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/19/05 9:46am
Msg #26428

*I have read much raves about the Notary Rotary Journal, does it have a place for fingerprints?*

Yes.

Reply by carlosnyc on 3/19/05 10:12am
Msg #26430

The Notary Rotary Journal, aka (MOJO), is by far the BEST journal out there right now. Bye it, you won't be disappointed. Yes it does have a place for thumbprints.

Reply by Reggie on 3/19/05 10:30am
Msg #26431

I bought one last month and it does have a place for right thumb prints. It is also easier than the NNA Journal. It explains all the blank spaces and what goes in them much better than the NNA.

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/19/05 11:07am
Msg #26437

>>> one of the signing services ... has informed me that they now require a Journal be kept, with fingerprinting as well. <<<

Shane,

Can you please provide the name of this company and a contact name, email or phone number. (Email me privately if you wish.) Also, do they specify what information must be kept in the journal and why they want us to keep one?

According to the Florida Governor's Manual, the keeping of a journal is not required but recommended. However, if a signer does not wish to sign the journal or have their thumbprint taken, there's nothing we can do to make them do it, we must abide by their wishes. Check your own SOS office and/or manual as you may have the same conditions.

I would be curious what the SS has to say if a signer does not sign and thumbprint a journal.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/19/05 1:49pm
Msg #26445

NNA Journal vs. Notary Signing Agent Log

For those of us that did buy the wrong one (from NNA....hehe), could you explain something?

I was having a discussion with someone in that where the NNA's "Official Journal of Notarial Acts" has a colum to list "Notary Fee", I was taught by their trainer that you should always show $10 there as that is the charge for notarizing. This made no sense, but I have been following it. This log also includes a spot for thumb print and signature and License/ID numbers, which I ALWAYS use even though in Florida (at this time) it is not required.

My brother-in-law took the course in another city in Florida with the NNA as well. He says that that book should list the amount of notarial fees based on actual docs notarized when you are acting as a notary only, not a signing agent.

I also have a "Notary Signing Agent Log", which he claims is for documenting loan closing docs. This book has columns for such info as: mileage (start and finish), number of docs, number of signings, invoice amount, date sent, date paid, etc. However, it has no place for fingerprints.

Any thoughts to clear up the confusion?
Mysti

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/19/05 2:13pm
Msg #26448

Re: NNA Journal vs. Notary Signing Agent Log

Since FL does not require the use of a "Notary Acts" journal, you can put anything you want in the "fee" box. I use my invoice or receipt number. If you want to capture your notary fees, then you should put what the fee would have been had you charged for the notarizations separately. (But not more than the overall fee you will receive for the signing.) This will assist in the preparation of your SE Taxes to be able to exclude your notary fees. For regular notary work, it would be the notarization fees you charged.

The NSA log is for YOUR records for the signing. You would use it in conjunction with the Official Journal of Notarial Acts, which documents just the notary part, whereas the NSA log documents the signing part.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/19/05 7:47pm
Msg #26479

Thanks PAW. I think I will use that fee box the same way (invoice number). Until I can find a better software/system, this will be my booking system and logging the invoice number will work for me!

Mysti

Reply by thnotary_NY on 3/20/05 7:52am
Msg #26515

Just my 2 cts of cource, but I would use that box for notary fees. You'll need to know how much in fees to subtract on your income tax come 2006. More important than invoice #s, which u can notate somewhere else.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/20/05 8:11pm
Msg #26567

My logs show total invoice amount, mileage and # of notarizations performed. Also calculated are the amounts for deduction and exemption. What fees are charged is of no concern to anyone who needs a copy of the line items for a particular signing. That's why I do not put my fee in the log, but do put my invoice # for cross reference purposes.

Reply by Jon on 3/20/05 6:52pm
Msg #26562

Mysti inquired:

"Any thoughts to clear up the confusion?"

YES......Stop getting info from the NNA. Smiley

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/20/05 7:27pm
Msg #26564

Yep. That is the feeling I am starting to get!
Thank you all. This place is a fabulous tool for me. It helps me get business and it helps me learn. I appreciate your help so much!
Mysti

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.