Notary Rotary
Office of the Justice of the Peace
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 3/18/05 12:01pm
Msg #26286

Not speaking of trial justices (judges) for we all know who they are.

What is a Justice of the Peace?

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/18/05 12:13pm
Msg #26290

Hello,

I can't speak for every state for I am clueless. I can only speak for Massachusetts. You should state your State next time you post. Someone from their can assist you more.

In Massachusetts a Justice of the Peace (JP's) holds the same authority as Notary Public, except for the fact that JP's can perform wedding ceremonies. In addition, they have the power to call meetings of corporations or selectmen of a city/town.

MA JP's are considered honorable, like that of a Trial Judge/Justice. But obviously given that they don't preside over a court, their authority becomes that of the Notary Public. (which is still good in Massachusetts).

I actually applied for my appointment as Justice of the Peace because my town has one opening. However, upon recieving my appointment apporval letter, I thought about it and realized that I don't want to perform Marriage Ceremonies (especially in Massachusetts!! LOL).

Go here for more information on JP's in Massachusetts:

http://www.mass.gov/legal/JOPguidelines.html

The above link is from the Massachusetts offical home page. From my research, the Secretary of State (commonwealth) does not have any information.

================
Korey Humphreys

Reply by ColleenCA on 3/18/05 12:32pm
Msg #26294

Re: Office of the Justice of the Peace - Korey

May I ask why you wouldn't want to perform marriage ceremonies? It sounds like it would be fun. Just curious. Thanks.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/18/05 1:24pm
Msg #26306

Re: Because I think I'm to young 8-D

Would you call a twenty-one (twenty-something [inside board joke] LOL) year old to do your wedding??? Smiley

Some people have told me that they wouldn't see a problem with it as long as I am legally commissioned. However as a young Notary Public I get drilled constantly with 101 questions because they think I'm not a Notary being a young guy and all. So if I'm called upon to do a wedding ceremony I can just see the comments then!!! LMAO I won't go there though.

Luckily no one has ever rejected my services because of my age. That's all

=========
Korey

Reply by ColleenCA on 3/18/05 1:46pm
Msg #26310

Re: Because I think I'm to young 8-D

Really? I wouldn't think you were too young. I would think the couple would just be concerned that you are commissioned properly and thought that you had a good personality and would bring something special to their vows. Anyway, I was just curious because I thought it would be a fun thing to do. It would definately be a happy occasion and I would think that everyone would be in a good mood.

Reply by maureen/nh on 3/18/05 8:51pm
Msg #26365

I am a justice of the peace, commissioned in NH. I have very few powers outside of notary powers with the exception of being able to officiate at weddings and sign arrest warrents.

In some of our South Western states JP;s are elected officials and have judiciary powers.

Just as notary laws vary from state to state, so do the laws regulating the powers of JP's.

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/18/05 9:11pm
Msg #26368

MaureenJustice of the Peace

Hi Maureen...was just thinking about you today (Looked at your dog's picture. Still cannot get over how much mine and yours favor.)

Anyhow...

In Tx JPs are elected officials. They preside over traffic court and small claims court, pronounce deaths, perform weddings, issue warrants and feel extremely important among other things. Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.