Notary Rotary
Re: How to become an Inspector?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Reginald Wilks on 3/4/05 1:00pm
Msg #23632

Does anyone know how to become an inspector in Kansas and what all is involved? If so please post an answer. Oh I did not have time today to search all the posts.

Thanks

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/4/05 1:04pm
Msg #23633

Reggie, you've been on this board long enough to know that you should search first before you ask a question such as that. "I did not have time today" is the lamest excuse there is.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/4/05 2:16pm
Msg #23650

You need to take the time like I did. It is well worth your time as you can make more money than the loan signing in half the time. Today I did I worked from 9-3pm and made 600. You work on your own timetable. Go to www.sofi.us and join the Society of field inspectors, but the directory and signup with all the companies. Some companies train you online and some you have to go to attend training. If you don't have the time to do the research then you dont have the time to do the inspections.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/4/05 2:20pm
Msg #23653

Well said, Margaret! n/m

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/4/05 3:04pm
Msg #23663

Reggie,

Margaret is the bomb of field inspections. Do whatever she says. Next, learn to love google.com.

Also, there is a yahoogroup.com call fieldrepsneeded at
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/fieldrepsneeded/

Reply by NewNotary/CA on 3/4/05 3:56pm
Msg #23672

Margaret,
I am very new to this business; I recently received my notary commission and am a certified loan signing agent. I am in the beginning stages of marketing myself- your post regarding 'field inspector' sparked my interest as to a new direction. I went on the website you recommended, it was a bit vague as to what they refer to as 'notary signing tasks' being part of the inspectors role. Would you help clarify what it is you do exactly? Thanks for any feedback!

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/4/05 7:30pm
Msg #23704

Field inspections have nothing to do with Notary loan signing. When I first for into this I knew that I needed to look at other things to do. I needed a good flow of all kinds of income. The Notary signings are feast or famine. I went to training to become an inspector and some companies do their training online. I joined SOFI and got on an email list and I answer every ad I get for inspectors needed. I do drive-bys, HUD foreclosure inspections and Insurance Loss. I am busy all day and could work 16 hours a day if I wanted to but I don't. Property preservation is another job you can do, but I am not a handy man. This entails fixing up the properties, boarding up windows, changing locks, putting antifreeze in the toilets, mowing the lawn, trash pickup, etc. I get calls for that all the time, but I do not want to do this and they do not pay very well for these services anyway. I got all my information from the internet. Get good at using Google and putting in hours of research and finding companies to signup with. I made $7,000 with one company last year doing drive-by property inspections. I made more doing inspections than I did doing loan signings. Eventually I hope to just do inspections. No appointments, you work your own schedule and can only work when there is daylight to take pictures. No last minute EDOCS an hour after your appointment, I could go on and on. The best part is they pay real fast, one company has me on Direct Deposit. I had forgotten that I had signed up for that and was looking for a payment. I was looking at my bank statement and there it was.

Drive-bys - You take 3 pictures and do a short description, down load photos and description online. To get these assignments you have to have access to your email 24/7 and respond first to get the assignment. I have email on my phone and my wireless laptop. Others you have 48 hours to accept or decline. I also do commerical inspections. These are business, shopping malls, grocery stores,etc. These can be drive-bys or some you have to make an appointment with the owner. Insurance inspections are easy too. You inspection damage and take pictures and then you go back to verify the repair has been done and the home owner is happy. These require appointments, but I can make $100 for about 20 minutes top.
1 page form, signed by the home owner.

You have to spend money to attend training sessions. I went to Texas last year to attend the training offered by Mortgage Ramp. It was well worth the time/money

Turned down a signing for next week because they owe me money from January. I will not work for them if they are over 30 days. I even have that on my profile, to not call me if they pay over 30 days.

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/4/05 8:43pm
Msg #23713

Inspector Margaret

For insurance inspections: Are you required to use a Pocket PC w/ cad program? This seems to be standard from what I have read on the subject.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/4/05 9:27pm
Msg #23720

Re: Inspector Margaret

No. With Mortgage Ramp I can use my Palm Pilot to upload inspection forms and do my inspection on my Palm and upload. I have been trained to do this, but I have only downloaded and printed the inspection forms and did my inspection by hand and then entered online at home or in the car on my laptop. There are some inspections that require that you have Sketch/Drawing software and a rolling measuring wheel. You have to draw a sketch/diagram of the property and give measurements of the property. I have not done one of these inspections and have not invested $350 in the software. Also some inspections companies require that you have 1,000,000 in General Liability Ins. 2 companies I work for do not require it and 1 said I was covered up their policy. It can run $1200 a year.

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/4/05 10:15pm
Msg #23728

Re: Inspector Margaret

I find doing MR inspections on my Pocket PC is tedious.

I prefer paper.

Reply by NewNotary/CA on 3/4/05 9:33pm
Msg #23721

Thanks for that generous and informative reply!Good luck to

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 3/6/05 1:24am
Msg #23891

Re: Thanks for that generous and informative reply!Good luck to

Thanks everyone for you input and I really did not have time at that time to do the research so I just asked a question.

Thanks for the sites to look at and I will look at them and decide which I want to join.

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/6/05 8:51am
Msg #23913

I received my HUD inspections on March 1, they are due by March 11. I completed my inspections on 3/4. I get the email on March 1 in the afternoon. I accept them and print out my forms, do mapquest and plan. I got 16 this month which is a low amount, I normally get 25-40 I did my inspections in 3 days working 9-3, thats 6 hours a day for 3 days. That is a total of 18 hours. That 57.77 an hour. The only expense I have is my gas and I only used one tank of gas at $25.00. Most of the inspections are in the same area of town, many only blocks away from each other. I even did some signings on the days I was doing my inspections. One was at 8:00am, 4:30pm and 7:30pm. I have been real busy and looking forward to relaxing today

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/7/05 4:27pm
Msg #24152

Here is an email I got regarding Insurance inspections. This is what most companies want.

Inspector must take a front and rear photo, and photos of all hazards.
Inspector must be able to enter inspection data and pictures into an
electronic delivery tool. Digital camera, high speed internet access, fax machine, Microsoft
Excel and Word are required. A professional appearance and interaction
with policy holder is a must. Must also be able to pass criminal
background check, and have a general liability policy in place.

Reply by melissaNV.. on 3/8/05 12:31am
Msg #24293

Margaret, I have emailed sofi days ago no response yet. I am really interested in doing this. You mentioned training, how much did you have to do? Who besided sofi could I contact? What is the majic term to google? All I can ever find is home inspectors who crawl under houses and on roof tops. I just want to do the drive by type. I mean what type of companies higher.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.