Notary Rotary
Signing Docs in North Carolina for property in Virginia
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Grammy824 on 3/29/05 3:50pm
Msg #28312

I have been asked to notarize refinancing documents for a couple who live in NC, but the property they are refinancing is located in Virginia. Is this legal?

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/29/05 4:19pm
Msg #28318

Yes its legal as long as the actual signers are in your presence. Remember to check ID's and if you use a journal be sure to record the transaction.

Reply by Ronald Philbrick on 3/29/05 4:28pm
Msg #28326

I am in VA and sign for people who own property in NC several times a year.

Reply by joe/nc on 3/29/05 6:35pm
Msg #28384

I live in NC and dop signings for property in various other states. As long as the borrowers are in your presence and the property is theirs it is ok. They may have vacation homes or investment property located outside the state.

Joe/NC

Reply by Art_MD on 3/30/05 8:03am
Msg #28461

out of state property - check witness requirements

General observation

Some states require witness on DOTs etc. Check what the state where the property is located requires - ask on this board. You may meet your states notary requirements but the DOT might not be recordable in the state where the property is located.

Art

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.