Notary Rotary
Silly Question
Notary Discussion History

Silly Question
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by SL/CA on 3/9/05 1:27pm
Msg #24558

Silly Question

Just curious how many of you there are out there that go through you signed loan packages more than 2 or 3 times for accuracy. I am fairly new to this profession, and have done about 45 signings or so, I have missed a date on a notarization once, and since then I can't seem to just go through the package just once and then overnight.. I am sure my confidence level will improve with time... but once I make one mistake I am back to checking and checking .....am I alone on this one?? Hope everyone is having an excellent day Smiley

Reply by Carole/NJ on 3/9/05 1:36pm
Msg #24561

Re: Great Expectations

I can't beleive I just now realized that there is a business out there in the Notary Field.
I became a notary when working in a law office...never used it though, and after 2 years, I see there is a business here. I've been in the travel industry for 26 years, and need to suppliment my income (travel industry has changed dramaticlly moneywise).
So I will not be so impertanent as to "ask how to begin" but just wondering if it is worth spending the money to take the seminars and pay for the course and certification?
Please excuse my ignorance in this matter...I have called and joined the NNA (hope that was smart). Any feedback, if you have a moment would be welcomed..

Respectfully,
Carole Kaiman

Reply by Jon on 3/9/05 3:03pm
Msg #24586

Carole,

If you do a search on "NNA", you will find my, along with many others, opinion of the NNA. A search on "certification" will again get you many responses as to the value(or lack thereof) of certification.

Personally, I won't pay for certification or the NNA. To find out why, do the search. Smiley

Reply by Carole/nj on 3/9/05 10:57pm
Msg #24644

Jon,
Then how do you learn what you need to make this business work? I have to start somewhere. Please point me in the right direction, if you can.
I do appreciate your help.
Carole

Reply by Jon on 3/10/05 12:43am
Msg #24667

I suggest reading this board from the beginning. You will find a wealth of information that you will never find in ANY book with regards to this business. As you read you will be able to tell which posts you can skip and who's posts to read. It will take you some time to read everything, but it will be worth it.

Reply by Carole/NJ on 3/10/05 9:53am
Msg #24719

I have spent the last 24 hours reading all the posts and there is some bits and pieces I learned, but not the jist of how to start out.
I know you all have many years of experience but we have to start somewhere, and I'd love to know how to take my first step in starting this business.
As there is not real book to learn, what sources other than reading the posts, do you suggest.

I won't bother you again if I can just find where to start.
Thank you all and please forgive my begging...

Reply by Jon on 3/10/05 12:23pm
Msg #24752

If you have read "all the posts" and are still unable to figure out how to start, this probably isn't the business for you. Anything I(or anyone else for that matter) can tell you about starting out has been said many times on this board.

Reply by janCA on 3/9/05 1:47pm
Msg #24564

I have been doing signings for three years and I still go through my docs 2-3 times before I send off, especially if it's a new lender/title. Sometimes you're just having an off day, and miss an initial or date. It's those darn signatures that are in obscure places on the docs that I've had to return to the borrowers. But I'd rather catch it before dropping off than getting a phone call the next day saying I missed a signature. Happened my first year a few times, that's when I began checking at least twice before returning them to lender/title.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/9/05 1:54pm
Msg #24565

Keep on checking... You will be loved. (n/m)

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/9/05 4:07pm
Msg #24594

Re: Darn signatures in obscure places!!

Jan,

I must say - tell me about that. I had a refinance; I think it was in the middle of the day two or three months ago. Late in the afternoon I am going through the docs, and I realize that there is a signature bloc way up on the top of the page left hand side. And there was another one maybe like two or three inches below it. I caught the signature bloc down below but not the one up above. It was on some sort of HUD document. So as you can imagine it was another trip out to the borrowers (at my expense). But they were very nice and understanding so that helped.

So yes, I guess the moral of all this is check, check, check.

Reply by Stephen/VA on 3/9/05 1:58pm
Msg #24568

I sometimes even have my wife check when I get home from a late signing that won't go out till the next day.

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/9/05 2:02pm
Msg #24570

YES! When I got back from my first signing, I was obsessed, I think I went thru that package at least 5 times, and was literally shaking as I sealed it up lol
I do check at least 2-3 times, everytime Smiley

Reply by Over 6 years for me... on 3/9/05 2:33pm
Msg #24581

and I besides double checking at the table, I now sit in my car & double check AGAIN! And then once more before docs are sent out. Always better to be safe & NOT SORRY!! JMHO

Reply by Anonymous on 3/9/05 9:58pm
Msg #24636

What would you do if, on the third time you checked the doc's in your car, on the way to mail them you noticed you missed a signature what would you do?

Reply by SM/CA on 3/9/05 11:34pm
Msg #24651

You go back to the borrower's home and have them sign it... at your cost... Plain and Simple.. Smiley And that is always fun ;)

Reply by Jon on 3/9/05 3:06pm
Msg #24587

I have been doing this for over 7 years and 8,000+ signings, and I still double check my work.

IMO, only a fool doesn't check his/her work.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 3/9/05 3:29pm
Msg #24589

Re: Silly Question...Jon

Hey
I had no idea you had so many signings under your belt, so to speak!
I have always valued your responses, now I know why - you have always come across like you are serious with alot of experience - I just had no idea how experienced.

Reply by SL/CA on 3/9/05 8:42pm
Msg #24626

Yes, Double check... but Triple, Quadruple.. and then some... Makes me crazy, like I am some crazy person that doesnt trust herself ;) ... Maybe once I do 8000 + ( very impressive by the way) maybe I will have more confidence to just double check and not take an hour to check and check and check again.. Thanks for all the replies Smiley Have a Great evening !!

Reply by Jon on 3/10/05 12:28am
Msg #24662

I actually check my work three to four times before sending it back. Once while signing, once before I leave the table, once when I get home, and a final time before sealing the package(usually). It is a system that I have made a normal part of signing, so it doesn't seem like extra work.

Reply by Becca/FL on 3/9/05 9:29pm
Msg #24630

I check three times. Once, while the borrowers are signing, a second time after the borrowers sign & before I leave their home, AND a third time @ my desk before shipping. ALWAYS. I am not an annal person by nature, but I take great pride in my work and want it to be perfect everytime.

Reply by mysky_TX on 3/10/05 6:29am
Msg #24681

I'm with you, Becca. I do the same. Had to take a doc back yesterday as a matter of fact because I missed an initial block in the middle of the page....grrrr. :( Did it during my lunch hour (which ended up being a 2-hour lunch and an extra 60 miles on my car), but I don't mind - I'd rather get it right and get another opportunity for more signings than mess up and get on someone's bad side - or worse! Your SS AND the clients will admire you for your honesty and integrity (which is part of our jobs anyway). And that's a good thing. Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.