Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Something that might be relevant to this message board.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Stephen/VA on 3/9/05 11:15am
Msg #24524

<a href='http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/computing/mailing-lists.html'>http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/computing/mailing-lists.html</a>

Reply by Stephen/VA on 3/9/05 11:15am
Msg #24525

or.. http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/computing/mailing-lists.html

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/9/05 11:32am
Msg #24530

Exactly what it is we are linking to? n/m

Reply by Erneest_CT on 3/9/05 12:00pm
Msg #24541

Re: Exactly what it is we are linking to?!

Putting up a link without explaining its purpose is at least rude. Sensible people do not click on links without having some idea of the consequences.

Reply by Stephen/VA on 3/9/05 1:55pm
Msg #24566

I've spent the last 10 years doing Web development. I can assure you the consequences of clicking a link are extremely limited. Particularly one which you have to copy out of the page and into your address bar. The most harmful consequence is being offended. The other barely possible consequences, as a mere Link poster I would have no idea about. And if I was posting with something nefarious in mind, I could use any completely benign description I desire.

However, that being said, giving a short description would have been the polite thing to do.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/9/05 8:23pm
Msg #24623

You *still* didn't say what the link is for.

Reply by Stephen/VA on 3/10/05 8:16am
Msg #24699

crikey, it discusses the evolution of online communities n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/9/05 12:41pm
Msg #24548

Re: Exactly what it is we are linking to?

This is what we are linking to.

The Natural Life-cycle of Mailing Lists
Every list seems to go through the same cycle:
Initial enthusiasm (people introduce themselves, and gush alot about how wonderful it is to find kindred souls).
Evangelism (people moan about how few folks are posting to the list, and brainstorm recruitment strategies).
Growth (more and more people join, more and more lengthy threads develop, occasional off-topic threads pop up).
Community (lots of threads, some more relevant than others; lots of information and advice is exchanged; experts help other experts as well as less experienced colleagues; friendships develop; people tease each other; newcomers are welcomed with generosity and patience; everyone -- newbie and expert alike -- feels comfortable asking questions, suggesting answers, and sharing opinions).
Discomfort with diversity (the number of messages increases dramatically; not every thread is fascinating to every reader; people start complaining about the signal-to-noise ratio; person 1 threatens to quit if *other* people don't limit discussion to person 1's pet topic; person 2 agrees with person 1; person 3 tells 1 & 2 to lighten up; more bandwidth is wasted complaining about off-topic threads than is used for the threads themselves; everyone gets annoyed).

Smug complacency and stagnation (the purists flame everyone who asks an 'old' question or responds with humor to a serious post; newbies are rebuffed; traffic drops to a doze-producing level of a few minor issues; all interesting discussions happen by private email and are limited to a few participants; the purists spend lots of time self-righteously congratulating each other on keeping off-topic threads off the list).

OR

Maturity (a few people quit in a huff; the rest of the participants stay near stage 4, with stage 5 popping up briefly every few weeks; many people wear out their second or third 'delete' key, but the list lives contentedly ever after).

Reply by Laes Lairaton on 3/9/05 1:04pm
Msg #24551

We have met the enemy and they are us !!

Reply by Damn right on 3/9/05 11:44pm
Msg #24653

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/9/05 1:22pm
Msg #24555

Thanks, Sylvia_FL! n/m

Reply by gregory-NY on 3/9/05 9:38pm
Msg #24632

Could someone PLEASE explain what the link is???

Like hell I'm going to a site and not know EXACTLY what it is.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/10/05 12:52am
Msg #24668

Re: Could someone PLEASE explain what the link is???

Well, considering your post is in response to Sylvia's post which explains exactly what the link is, why are you still asking?

Reply by Cyndra_CA on 3/10/05 11:35pm
Msg #24876

WHAAPPP! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.