Notary Rotary
Things that make you go Arrrrgh!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Melody on 3/6/05 12:03am
Msg #23889

So many new people post on many of these boards saying they want us to help them learn how to be a NSA.

The National Notary Association has seen to it that there are far more NSAs than available work in most areas.

The NNA also advises their trainees to find an Oldie to mentor them.

We Oldies are not going to train our competition.

Many newbies say that they will not be real competition. They only want to "do this part-time to supplement their day jobs."

Let me use an illustration to explain how we Oldies see this:

Suppose I have a donut shop.
You approach me and ask for training saying you only plan to open a coffee and donut cart down the block. You will not be "real competition" because you will only be open in the mornings.

Arrrrgh!!!!

By the way, Newbies think you/they will take $50 jobs only until you get some experience and can charge some "real money." What you are really doing is driving down the market price for all notary signing agents - new and old. You will never get more fees because the signing services will know they can always find new and/or desperate blood to take their $50 fees. The NNA makes certain there is always more new blood.

I am VERY sorry for the bad news. If you want to be mad at someone, be angry at the NNA for telling you there was work for you in this highly saturated market.

Reply by Lady/CA on 3/6/05 12:23am
Msg #23890

Re: Things that make you go Arrrrgh!!! and More...

It's not only the NNA. The radio market has the NotaryClasses.com selling the same make big $$$$$ story here in L.A. What's worse is the very people who teach these classes are also in competition with the trainees for NSA/Notary jobs. Whatever happened to conflict of interest?
Training your competition? How comprehensive can this training be? Talk about errors and omissions......Methinks there's a method here....and, it's run as fast as you can....all the way to the bank.

Reply by Sharon Martin on 3/6/05 8:25am
Msg #23904

I can understand why you wouldn't want to train your competion. You have to admit though learning anything is easier if someone shows you how it's really done. There is no replacement for actual experience the workshops and seminars don't even come close to showing you how to do this job correctly.

I have a step daughter in CA who has been doing loan signings for years. She was lucky enough to get an exclusive contract with Wells Fargo to do a minimum of 30 signings a month for $250 each. Since she has four little kids at home she doesn't want any more than that. Even though her time is limited she doens't worry too much about helping newbies because they aren't having any impact on her business.

Reply by Sharon Martin on 3/6/05 8:44am
Msg #23910

...also, I totally agree with the comments on the NNA and their NSA course. Just for profit and not really to educate Notaries or promote professionalism.

Reply by Ty_MN on 3/6/05 10:27am
Msg #23921

I agree with you Melody. I have had notaries that I have mentored and then tried to screw me by under cutting my fees. Thank goodness the companies that I work with know my value and said no thanks. Thus I decided to stop mentoring. I think that the notaries can ask their questions on boards like these but take the trial by error approach and learn from mistakes. I can tell you that never once when I started did I think that just because I was new I was willing to take less money. I have done $50 signings only as helocs that are overnighted and in the small town I live in. I educated myself, did role playing with people in the industry(my colleagues) and then had the confidence before taking someone elses "life" (because I feel that your mistakes CAN affect their life in these trasactions) into my hands. That is called responsibility and to a career where you can affect someone else....that is a necessity.

Reply by mtatum_ca on 3/6/05 3:54pm
Msg #23973

You know what makes me go Arrrrgh!!! People who decide to take their bitterness and hostility out on people are just starting out.

So what if the market is saturated. Nearly every job market in this country is saturated with people who are both qualified and unqualified. Get over it. If you can't get the clients and the fees you desire - then look to yourself and your attitude. When you go off on a message board because one person asks for someone to help them get a little "on the job training" - and they are willing to compensate the trainer for it - it shows very little in the way of professionalism on your part.

If you aren't interested in mentoring a newbie, then don't. It's rather self-serving and vindictive to rant and rave in such a manner that makes newbies feel daunted to ask for help. Everyone on this board that is in geographical proximity to each other is "competition" whether they've been doing this for eons or since last week - if you can post supportive commentary to the "oldies" then you should do the same for the "newbies".

As it says at the top of this discussion board: "Please use this forum to discuss notarial procedures, share experiences, ask questions of your peers, etc". That's what all professionals do - in any field.

Reply by Roger/OH on 3/6/05 5:31pm
Msg #23984

To mtatum/ca...

I think you'll better be able to understand some of the responses you mention if you'll take a look at message # 12438; there's more involved than may meet your eye.

Please know we really are here to help, but exhibiting at least a semblance of professionalism is a basic requisite.

Reply by mtatum_ca on 3/6/05 5:48pm
Msg #23989

Re: To mtatum/ca...

Actually, I do understand the responses. And I agree some semblance of professionalism is required. If you'd read further on the board, you would note that what seemed to spark Melody's rant was the fact that I put a post up for a "ride along" to which she snidely remarked "I am VERY sorry the NNA led you to think there was work in LA for you. Much sympathy." That was unwarranted and unprofessional.

I didn't come on this board to stir up trouble - I came looking for insight and leadership from people who are experienced in the field - and my first experience is hostile and negative - really makes a person feel welcome and leaves me to think this isn't such a fabulous industry resource after all.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.