Notary Rotary
Using one phone number
Notary Discussion History

Using one phone number
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Hampton/CA on 3/13/05 10:39am
Msg #25246

Using one phone number

I notice on most profiles that most NSA's have several phone numbers listed. Home, office, cell, 2nd cousin, etc. That's a lot of numbers for an SS and Title to be calling trying to find you.

Like everybody else, I've got an office number and a cell phone, and when I first started, I gave out both numbers. To make sure that I don't miss any calls and to make it easier and faster to get ahold of me, I've done the following:

On my office number, I have Call Busy Forwarding (forwards the call to my cell phone if the number is busy) and Delayed Call Forwarding (forwards the call to my cell phone if I don't answer within two rings). Thus, if somebody calls my office phone and it's busy or I don't answer, the call gets forwarded to my cell phone. If I don't answer the cell phone, the call goes to my voicemail, which pages me.

On my cell phone (which may be off when I'm at home), I have Land Line Extension. What this does is ring both my cell phone and my office phone simultaneously. And if I don't answer, it goes to voicemail that pages me.

By doing this, I virtually never miss a phone call. But of course, these services have to be available to you from the phone company and from your cell phone provider.

When I sign up with new companies now, I only use my cell phone for contact. It's easier for Title/SS to find me (only one call) and it rings all my phones, whereever I am.

Reply by Sheree_TX on 3/13/05 10:46am
Msg #25248

Sounds like a good idea. Do you never have to do anything else once you've set it up (like remember which phone is doing what and re-setting for different scenarios)? If I send you the information for my phones, will you progam them all for me to do the same?!! (j/k!) I will have to look into this as it probably is a little daunting to see all of those phone numbers, I have never put much thought into it. Thanks!

Reply by Hampton/CA on 3/13/05 11:23am
Msg #25253

Once you've figured out how you want everything to ring and get it set up that way, there's nothing else to do.

I gave it careful thought before I did it, though, to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. As it is now, my calls follow me wherever I go. Sometimes while I'm sitting at my desk, if I have my cell phone on, both phones will ring. I answer the office phone for better reception and to save cell minutes.

Another thing that I do at home is to use a headset. This frees up my hands so that I can be accessing the computer, shuffling loan documents, writing, making a sandwich, removing lent from my belly button... whatever is most productive at the time.

Reply by Jon on 3/15/05 11:36am
Msg #25540

"...removing lent from my belly button..."

OK Hampton, I have to ask:

Would that be lentils(and you forgot to finish typing the word), because you were eating with your shirt off and spilled? Or lint that has collected over an unspecified amount of time?

Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't have asked!!!!!! Smiley

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/15/05 6:15pm
Msg #25645

Re: "...removing lent from my belly button..."

I think it's someone who is counting the days until Easter to start doing whatever was sacrificed for Lent.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/13/05 10:51am
Msg #25249

WOW! Your pretty linked!! Smiley

I just give my office number and my cell phone number.

When I don't answer my phones, or have time too, then that just means I don't want your service request. Obviously if I'm too busy to answer, I must be doing something else.

I like your linkage though!! Seems like you're well organized and never miss a beat!! LOL

Reply by LawrenceOK on 3/13/05 11:08am
Msg #25251

Thanks for the tip Hampton, I'll be doing the same come monday.

Reply by Dave_CA on 3/13/05 11:45am
Msg #25256

If you use Cingular they have a device that you place you cell phone in when you’re at home or the office and all calls to your cell phone are automatically sent to the appropriate phone. You just have to set this up once and the best part is that you are not charged for any airtime.

The product/service is called FastForward and sells for $24.99 plus $2.99/Mo. at least it did when I signed up and I would expect it to be available on AT&T as well since the merger.
This is worth it to me as I automatically put my cell phone into the FastForward cradle, where it is also charged, and I don't have to worry about forgetting to set or cancel forwarding. Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 3/13/05 12:49pm
Msg #25265

HamptonCA - I started out with only one phone number for all.

Without fail, each time I gained a new client they wanted more numbers.

I gave up trying to explain that I had "follow me" and all they had to do was to call my 877 number. Trying to explain that "Yes, that is even my fax number!" was impossible, so I gave it up and now give a whole list of numbers.

Reply by Joan-OH on 3/13/05 1:41pm
Msg #25268

Brenda, that is so funny. I ONLY give out my cell number. I tell them I have 2 kids and if they want to make sure I DON'T get a message, just talk to one of them or leave it on the family machine. If they really want a guarantee, just leave the message with my Hubby! :-) I then tell them the cell is attached to my hip and it is the only way they are going to reach me.

I once called a signing service from my home phone. A week later they called me on that line. Apparently, they jotted it down off my caller ID. I laughed and told them they are calling it at their own risk!

But, unlike you, I've never had anyone insist getting a secondary number.

Joan-OH

Reply by Sheree_TX on 3/13/05 2:23pm
Msg #25272

lol, Brenda, I can just imagine the conversations! All - Good information and things to think about, thanks. I will sit down soon with my instruction books and "map" this out to see if I have the technical capability through my Sprint phones (and/or mental capacity, haha) to do the same or similar. Thanks again!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.