Notary Rotary
What got everyone started?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by MelissaNV on 3/20/05 11:35pm
Msg #26577

I think it would be interesting to know how or why everyone got started in the biz? Anyone care to share.

Reply by JJ/CA on 3/20/05 11:50pm
Msg #26580

read on down the list at others inquiring about how to get started. "a lot of work out there"

Reply by MelissaNV on 3/20/05 11:56pm
Msg #26581

let me re state the question. Why are you a notary

I was just curious, why people became notaries, not "the tell me how to get started questtion"
Once again, just being light & fluffy. I mean did you work for someone and it was part of your job to be a notary? Then found out you could freelance?

Just trying to have a conversation.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/21/05 12:44am
Msg #26586

Re: let me re state the question. Why are you a notary

Was unemployed for 1 1/2 years and turned 60 yrs old. My niece had been a notary lsa for 2 years and suggested I try it, so I said, "Why not, what do I have to lose?" Now it's 1 yr later and it's the best thing I've ever done. Doing well in the biz and just love working for myself!

Reply by Joan_OH on 3/21/05 6:30am
Msg #26592

Same thing here....

Not quite 60, but have a niece who has been doing this for many years. I was actually looking at training for inspections (drive by, insurance, etc). I absolutely LOVE this job and would just die if I couldn't do it anymore.

I owe a major debt of gratitude to my niece! :-)

Joan-OH

Reply by Donna CA on 3/21/05 1:42am
Msg #26587

What got me started was when I was selling an annuity payment. A mobile notary came to my house and I started asking her about the biz. I never knew it existed before then, so I decided that I would use some of that annuity payment to get started which is exactly what I did

Reply by Debbie/NJ on 3/21/05 4:15am
Msg #26589

I got laid off from my job (of 4 years) and before that got laid off from a job I was at for 25 years! In addition, I have a back/leg problem that 20 doctors can't fix. (Therefore, it's hard for me to work a regular 9-5 job.) My sister had a friend who is a Signing Agent. She put me in touch with her and the friend answered a few questions for me. I got started last November and I love it! The money is decent and I get to meet some very interesting people. And, since I'm my own boss, I can take whatever jobs I want. I especially enjoy the fact that I won't get laid off from this job! Now I'm trying to talk my sister into doing this too. I guess what goes around comes around, right?

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/21/05 8:51am
Msg #26594

I was introduced to this industry accidentally while typing away on a step-family forum. I got to talking to a member whom shared what she did and I asked what is a 'mobile notary'? It made sense to me and she told me I could do this since I was already in the Mortgage business. I grew tired of trying to find babysitters and being a credit counselor. When my boss told me they were changing their policy (three loans a month minimal, which is 50 hours a week in the office, most being evenings) I changed careers Smiley
Best move I've made in awhile.
I just wish I had that map navigation in my car! Driving around these NOT lit highways at night is a pain in the butt

Reply by LawrenceOK on 3/21/05 9:18am
Msg #26595

Invest in a good maglight, I use one to dead spot the addresses on rural mail boxs.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/21/05 9:32am
Msg #26597

Re: Driving in the dark

*I just wish I had that map navigation in my car! Driving around these NOT lit highways at night is a pain in the butt*

Oops -- I realize you are talking about the dark highways and not residential areas. However, I still think it's kind of neat that in one particular new housing development where I've had 2-3 signings -- as you drive down the streets, apparently they have some sort of sensor in the sidewalk and as you drive by, the porch light automatically turns on so you can see the address. It took me about 5 houses before I realized the lights were turning on/off automatically -- I originally thought everyone was just flipping the switch at the same time.

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/21/05 11:00am
Msg #26626

LOL Carolyn...

I thought I was flipping...We have a porch lantern with a motion detector, was here when we bought...unfortunately it's so darn sensitive that it goes on when the wind blows. After the first two nights of jumping up to look out the windows, I was thinking 'the boy who cried wolf'!

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 3/21/05 9:35am
Msg #26598

My story

I was working as an Accountant at my last job and a friend asked me if I was a notary. I wasn't at the time. She told me that she was having a heck of a time finding one in our town. Sure enough, there wasn't one listed in the yellow pages or anywhere else for that matter.

I was pregnant with my last child and wanted to find some way to make some $ without having to work full time. I applied as a notary and put an ad in the yellow pages (I put an Ad for Accounting services too). At this point, I knew absolutely nothing about loan signings.

I would get ALOT of calls from mortgage companies and signing agencies to do loan signings. Apparently, at the time, there was no one in my area. I still didn't know what they were talking about.

Finally, someone talked me into doing a loan closing. I honestly think it was FASS. They were desperate and said they would walk me through the documents. I couldn't believe they were going to give me $50 bucks to do it!

Well, 5 years later and here I am. Guess I was lucky enough to get in when I did!

Reply by Anonymous on 3/21/05 10:02am
Msg #26603

Re: NNA add grabed my attention

Nuff Said!

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 3/21/05 10:18am
Msg #26610

Started working for a real estate attorney in 1983. In 1990, he wanted me to be able to notarize documents... so he sent me to classes and to take the test... and I became commissioned in August 1990. Then, after 10 years with him and 8 years with a title company, I decided to step into the independent contractor signing agent arena.... and I haven't regretted my decision for one second.

Reply by Sherri_IN on 3/21/05 10:41am
Msg #26621

I have spent most of my career in the Title Industry (over 20 years). Last 4 years were managing the Escrow department. I finally got tired of dealing with personel issues and having to cover for others while my family never saw me. I decided to quit take some time off and then look for something else. Well my time off was short lived because as soon my Colleagues at other companies found out I quit the phone rang to see if I would do closings for them. How could I pass it up, I didn't have to work up the HUD or documents, didn't have to deal with the nightmare of cleaning up Title work. Just pick up a package ready to go and return it. That was 3 months ago and I don't regret it.

Reply by rsrnotary on 3/21/05 11:56am
Msg #26653

my two motivating factors are: Firstly 8 to 5 just didn't work. Put 3 kids in daycare with at least half my check going to that, and the kids hated it. When my youngest was diagnosed autistic I decided that was it I was needed at home. Factor 2 in Ca one income rarely cuts the mustard. This sounds like a good oppertunity for nights and weekends. Next year all the kids will be in school for the full day. Which leads me to this question. How many of you get signings during late morning early afternoon during the week? It would be nice to get in a couple lunchtime signings in a week.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/21/05 12:11pm
Msg #26657

Morning and afternoon signings

First, a request: Please include your two-letter state abbreviation in the "Author" field when you post messages. It will help everyone help you.

Because it seems that a lot of people do signings in addition to a day job, you will probably get a fair amount of work for times that other NSAs are doing their 9 to 5 work. The more you say "Sure, I'd be happy to.", the further up the signing services' lists you'll be.

Reply by Cheryl_NV on 3/21/05 12:15pm
Msg #26660

Re: Morning and afternoon signings

Here in Las Vegas my Husband and I do anywhere from 3 to 5 each during the day and another 1 to 3 each after 5 pm, 5 days a week we usually do around 5 total for the weekends.

Reply by Donna Lenzi on 3/21/05 3:24pm
Msg #26726

(pa) i get a ton in the mornings & afternoons so now I'm wondering how everyone can work & keep the kids. Can you make it on just night closings? I have to take my daughter part-time to a daycare to do the details of this job. I can do a max of 5 closing in a day but perfer not to do that, I am most comfortable at 2 a day. I need to make a min of 2,500$ a month to make it. I feel that in building the business I get more morning & afternoons because they may not have in-house closers. Maybe take on more companies or build your relationships with the ones you have & let them know your needs. If people like you they will help you.

Reply by Susie/CA on 3/21/05 5:46pm
Msg #26759

I get a few here and there during lunch hours. Many of them are at borrowers offices during . . yes . . their lunch breaks! I must say they are not too common . . I just get them now and then. Last week it seems as though a ton of people wanted to sign between hours of 9:00am - and 2:00pm . . I wonder if that will hold true during spring break since a lot of parents take time off to spend with their kids or vacation . .

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 3/21/05 2:01pm
Msg #26688

Sherri... I feel you girl!!!!

I've got about 18 years in the industry. During that time, I managed an escrow department in Phoenix for almost 8 years... with 25-50 employees (depending upon industry shifts). Putting out fires... personal issues... covering when people were out sick... and working about 12-14 hours a day... left me with no personal life. Since leaving Phoenix and my management job and becoming an SA (in 2002)... I've never looked back.

Reply by TN Notary on 3/21/05 11:57am
Msg #26655

By accident. I became a notary in the State of Florida and joined the NNA at that time they were promoting a free listing in the signingagent.com. I kept getting calls for assignments and did know what it was all about I ignored it but not all the way. I moved to Tn and mentioned it to my friend and he told me to look into it. I did and not I am doing very well on a part time basis.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 3/21/05 12:48pm
Msg #26668

I became a Notary Public in 2001 and attended my first NNA Conference in 2002 (San Diego, CA)
There was a workshop/seminar offered at & included in the Registration Fee for the conference.
The workshop was becoming a Signing Agent.
I attended for the "heck of it"...each person in the class was given one of the big 395 pages, loan signing book.
So, I spent several sessions in these classes/workshops, again, just for the "heck of it".
When I returned home from the conference I took the 3-part online exam & passed.

I spent alot of time becoming familiar with notarizing basic documents. Working in the Fiduciary & Investment Program Services of a large bank in San Francisco gave me MANY opportunities to fine tune my basic notarial skills.
Once I had notarized well over 1,000 documents, I started to immerse myself into the many aspects of becoming a working Signing Agent.
Having taken the coursework at the conference was a good start, but I needed to completely understand the process before "jumping in".
This is how I started in the business of being a Signing Agent.

Reply by Susie/CA on 3/21/05 5:34pm
Msg #26757

A friend of mine was a notary and she was doing loan closings for my daughters dance studio (half of it is a mortgage co. the other half a dance studio . . husband . . is the broker wife is the dance studio director). She would come out (this was quite some time ago) after a short time in the office with over a 100.00 in her hand saying I just notarized some documents for *** and I said and you make that much just like that? Anyway, this is why I thought about it. Funny my friend still just does loan signings here and there. Her main business is legal document preparation and basic notarizations. Anyway . . . I must thank the lord for bringing this to my attention! Before this I was a struggling single mom . . now me and my kids can enjoy some of the special things in life a little more!

Good luck & God Bless!

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/21/05 8:17pm
Msg #26796

I worked for a one-man law office and he had me become a notary to be able to notarize in-house documents. We hired a part timer who worked with a real estate lawyer during the day. Through her meanderings on the internet, she found NNA and directed me there. I've dreamed of working for myself.......well, all of my life. I tried a trucking business with my ex-husband. He didn't help me with it after talking me into starting it. I lost everything, including my home.

I now work for a Medicaid HMO. I have a lot of flexibility in my job so I am learning this business as I go (began at end of last year, but did not REALLY start working regularly until signing up with Notary Rotary a couple of months ago).

My goal? Between the signing agent business, inspections (I'm hoping to learn that one next) and possibly one other non-related business, I hope to finally be my own boss.

The downside? My fears. I support myself. I finally bought a new townhouse, have a decent car and again have stability. I fear walking away from my solid, stable income to "do my own thing". (ps, I have NOT corrected my credit yet as not enough time has passed ---- thanks, mom!).

But I love the freedom of this job, that's for sure.

Mysti

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.