Notary Rotary
What is Probate process?
Notary Discussion History

What is Probate process?
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 3/23/05 5:47pm
Msg #27280

What is Probate process?

Is probate process eviction cases, non-payment of rents, housing court paperwork?

Reply by Jayme in PA on 3/23/05 6:05pm
Msg #27286

It is my understanding that probate is as follows:

In the narrow sense, probate is a process of proving in court that a document is the genuine last will and testament of a deceased person.....(in probate court)

In a broad sense, probate is the process of administering an estate, including collecting all monies, paying debts, and disbursing estate assets between the named beneficiaries.

People who die testate, have wills, people who die intestate do not..

Reply by Jayme in PA on 3/23/05 7:15pm
Msg #27318

In previous post, regarding probate, my opinion only... I am not an attorney.

Seek legal counsel for all legal matters.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/23/05 6:14pm
Msg #27293

*I'm a Paralegal not an attorney.... seek an attorney*

Probate process deals with wills and estates.

Eviction cases, non-payment of rent notices (14 & 30 Day Notices) 'belongs' to the Housing Court Department (MA anyways)

I'm going to assume that because you're asking about probate process you're interested in Process Serving as a disinterested person over 18..... am I correct?

Process Serving isn't for the faint of heart!! Believe me... it's one of my duties!! LOL

It is an adrenalin rush though!! Because you never know when someone is going to "wig" out and put up a stupid fight over paperwork. (see my first time mace use thread from the past!! LOL)

======
Korey

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/24/05 2:31am
Msg #27389

The best answer to "What is Probate?"

This is not being offered in jest, but as an honest suggestion.

When you have a half-hour or so to spare, go to your local town hall (or equivalent) and ask for the Probate Office. Walk in and ask the receptionist what probate involves. Listen. Ask questions. You'll learn a lot, and make a friend for life. Nobody goes there smiling, and most people who go have recently had a loss or are otherwise under stress. And, on your way out, remember to leave your business card, giving your most gentle "I'd be happy to go to anyone's home or office ...." speech.

Got time left over? Go to the office where the deeds, etc., are recorded. Look up your own home, going back as far as you can. You'll gain an added appreciation of everything involved with land records. (Just don't bother the title searchers who may be doing their searches. For them it's business, not a hobby.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.